Coloring and Highlights

katote

When it comes to coloring hair I am a novice.

Can you color your hair and add highlights the same day? If so, any products you can suggest?

A friend of mines is trying to replicate the color of the wig I am wearing. I figured you ladies might be able to give me the answer.

IMO you might need to go a colorist if you think you need an overall color as well as highlights to reproduce a look.

Highlights are hard at home not because you can't do it in terms of equipment and such but when it is time to retouch, it is extremely difficult to match the consistency of the color.

Tell your friend to set up a couple of consulations with some colorist, they should be free. Maybe you could go with her so they can see exactly what she wants.

I do my own hair- but its not a one day process, please keep in mind that lifting color causes dryness:yep:.It take alot of foil and a very light touch. I learned how to do it when I watched my natural hair care stylist do it and she showed me how (and warned me about the drying effects most color has on ethnic hair) Check my Fotki- I explain how I do it and the colors that I use. I personally recommend that you use a color without ammonia. It seems that the combination of ammonia and peroxide is extremely damaging. Some of the hair goddesses on this site have gotten highlights and lowlights with henna and indigo. I use cassia- which doesn't deposit color-but gives the same moisturizing effects as henna does.
HTH:yawn:

Back