Color and natural hair

CurleeDST

Ok I need someone to call me back off the ledge I am on the verge of coloring my natural hair!!!!! I miss it so much! HELP!

Girl, why do we have to pull you back? :lol: Do it! I mean assuming you don't have any medical reason why....I'm a perpetual colorer, so maybe I shouldn't being helping you with this.:lol: I might have a problem myself...:look:

LOL well for me everytime I color my 2 strand twists are not as plump as I like and it relaxes some of the natural kink and curl in my hair BUT it is so pretty. Check out my fotki I have some colored hair pics in there. The cost isn't a big deal to me but I am sooo tempted to make an appointment next week (this is my last week at work before my baby is due) so I have all of next week OFF and am getting a pedicure (french) and am contemplating coloring my hair. My natural hair is SO dark they have to lighten up my entire head of hair before applying highlights which is why I lose some of my natural curl.

*sitting here rocking back and forth*

Me personally I would never color my hair again. I can feel the difference in the texture in my natural hair and the portion that is still colored. I hate the texture its really rough and dry feeling. My hair is not dry, but if you were to take a hunk of hair and run your fingers down it you can tell blindfolded where the color begins and end. I can't wait to cut it all out. But it really, really looks gorgeous when straighten. Still thats a no for me for now on I rather Henna the color in. Although I haven't done that yet either.

Oooohhhh. I just saw your old hair color. i understand your dilemna. It is beautiful. It look like you did an all over color in that one w/ highlights. Maybe if you just stick to the highlights, it won't give you as dramatic a look, but it will save you some hair grief. Also I would up the moisture, when I get color I have some diffculty w/ the texture especially when I go blonder, but usually using a good moisturizer shampoo and conditioner, and a protein treatment or two, clears it right up. But you do lose alot of moisture. I feel for you, but now after I saw your pics, I'm about to make an appointment:look:. lol. Must..wait.. till..july....:(

I can totally understand the urge to switch up your look by coloring, but shouldn't you avoid that if you're pregnant? From what I understand, the chemicals that are used in hair coloring are dangerous for an unborn child whether they're passing through your skin into your bloodstream or being inhaled into it. One of the reasons so many Black women have to simplify their beauty regimen when they're pregnant is because chemicals from relaxers, coloring, acrylic nails, etc. are harmful to a fetus. If you want a good reason to not color your hair, ask yourself if you want to risk exposing your child to all that stuff... You can always color after you deliver!

See the thing is, my hair is so dark highlights do NOT look good unless I lighten my hair overall. It is just a fact. At least if I want professional looking results that is the way it should be done. It would be too much of a contrast if I didn't.

Now I spoke with Marsha of Curl Junkie products and she advised I definitely increase the protein b/c of the color to help strenghten the hair. I use some of her products (not all) and they definitely helped. My dark hair is of course the healthiest but it is also the most somewhat boring.

UUGGHH HELP!

bLackButtaFly said:
Oooohhhh. I just saw your old hair color. i understand your dilemna. It is beautiful. It look like you did an all over color in that one w/ highlights. Maybe if you just stick to the highlights, it won't give you as dramatic a look, but it will save you some hair grief. Also I would up the moisture, when I get color I have some diffculty w/ the texture especially when I go blonder, but usually using a good moisturizer shampoo and conditioner, and a protein treatment or two, clears it right up. But you do lose alot of moisture. I feel for you, but now after I saw your pics, I'm about to make an appointment:look:. lol. Must..wait.. till..july....:(

Oh I am due in a couple of weeks I can easily do it in May. :)

CurlyGirly327 said:
I can totally understand the urge to switch up your look by coloring, but shouldn't you avoid that if you're pregnant? From what I understand, the chemicals that are used in hair coloring are dangerous for an unborn child whether they're passing through your skin into your bloodstream or being inhaled into it. One of the reasons so many Black women have to simplify their beauty regimen when they're pregnant is because chemicals from relaxers, coloring, acrylic nails, etc. are harmful to a fetus. If you want a good reason to not color your hair, ask yourself if you want to risk exposing your child to all that stuff... You can always color after you deliver!

CurleeDST said:
Oh I am due in a couple of weeks I can easily do it in May. :)
Then go ahead and go for it, girl! If you know what color you want, you have a colorist you can trust, and you know how to maintain the health of your hair after the process, why not color it?

I invested money in a really good stylist when I colored my hair. The color still looks very vibrant after a year of coloring. I don't think I will recolor my hair. I noticed when my hair is straight, the darker untouched color does look healthier. I don't notice the difference when my hair is natural.

Back