Cold weather is coming...What will you do better this fall/winter?

Prettyeyes

This year I will be sure to protect my hair with a scarf if I am going to wear a hat, everytime. I love hats.

Also, I will be very focused on protecting my ends and keep them coated in a light oil. Last year, I got the winter blahs for a few weeks and let my ends get a bit drier than I prefer.

So, the questions again is...What will you do better this fall/winter?

That’s a tough question…. Two things have changed since last year. I’m moving to Florida next Thursday where the climate is different then Dallas so I’m not sure what to expect this Winter. Dallas it snows sometimes but not in Florida. I know FL experiences some cold days but not as much as Dallas. Secondly, I am not using direct heat until after Christmas so my hair will be confused (praying it will adjust). Out of observation my hair does NOT like weekly co washes/washes or to be manipulated at all from October – February so that’s out.
So I don’t know anything but to keep bunning my micro two-strand twists and moisturizing the ends daily. I will wash probably once a month until March.

After reading the board I realize I didn't care for my hair at all last winter. I wore Kinky Twists throughout the winter barely doing anything to it. This year I plan on getting kinky twists again but this time I will steam and DC at least every two weeks and moisturize and seal daily. And I will wear a Satin Bonnet or Loc Cap which I didn't do last time.

I was just thinking of that this morning!
Winters are brutal here in Edmonton, Canada (-30 C is normal) and it's dry, so I've always worn hats but with a silk scarf underneath.I rollerset a lot,so I usually do pincurls, put my silk scarf on, then the wool tuque or hat and take it down once I get to the office.
I'll do more protective and semi-protective styling, try to keep my ends hiding and off the shoulders. What I'll do differently is be better on my moisture regimen and seal with oil, buy a new drawstring ponytail and keep my ends covered, and also keep a hair kit at work or in my bag (goody elastics,small brush, travel size hair moisturizer, pins and a headband)
oh and a humidifier in my apartment at all times.
I hope all that will help me get to full APL by the time the winter is over.

I definitely will be moisturizing and sealing a lot more, and switching up my protective styles (wigs & sew-ins).

Last edited:
Im keeping my hair in twist for the fall/winter. Ill miss my twa. Buy maybe after the winter it wont be a twa anymore

I'll be twisting this mess up all winter. Easier for me to moisturize and seal, anyway. This is my first winter actually paying attention to my hair so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
I planned to protective style using crochet braids and/or wigs but now I may also bun it or rollerset since I'm getting better. What's the silk scarf thing? Is it really just a silk scarf that you would normally wear to bed or something different? Also - just slightly off topic - which is better silk or satin. I was thinking of going to the fabric store and just buying some material. It seems so hard to find caps. Thanks!

I'm probably going to end up doing french braids and wigs...Pretty much continue w/ what I've been doing and make sure to pay extra attention to my ahir so that I can have lots more come next spring

I might even conider getting briads or kinky twists at some point

I already got my thicker butters ready for this winter season. I'm going with the Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy cream and the hair Veda Noi Nah Butter. To seal I'm using Bee Mine Growth Serum with no Sulfur and My Hair Veda Vatifa Frosting.

Shampooing remains the same (very little).

Conditioner with JBCO added to it remains the same.

Using more head scarves is a must this winter for me and tucking my ends.

For enternal I'm drinking more water and making sure I take my vitamins.

Well this winter I will be avoiding glycerin, sealing my ends with butter and bunning.

I liked danysedai's idea of keeping a hair kit at work- I'll do this also

I usually PS my hair in braids underneath LF's from late Sept. to the end of March. For the last 2 years I've done this. I braid while damp and let it air dry. If I'm going out, my wig is on (I'm a homebody and stay in a lot). My neighbor is doing the same after a hair horror story with a sew-in (glue ended up on her hair, and she had to cut from BSL to ear length). Her hair has been growing like weeds. I've been letting her wash/condish and she comes to me for her 'rows underneath her wig. I moisturize her hair and oil her scalp. Put her on some good vits, and I'm so glad her hair will be even more beautiful than before her angering hair accident (due to a bad stylist). So, the good thing is I have a HHJ buddy.

This winter, I will stay more consistent with my vitamins and DE drinks. I want to get a humidifier as well for hair and skin, because the winter really takes a toll on my scalp. Same ol' for me...just need to force those pills down!

Last edited:
The same thing I'm doing now. Wigging. I have some Qhemet Amla and Olive Cream. It's very thick and moisturizing. I'm using it right now because it makes my hair feel so good, but I'm trying to save some for the winter. I'll have to switch back to Qhemets Burdock Root Cream till it gets cold. Now I feel like wearing my own hair when winter is approaching, :lol: But I live in Florida and it doesn't start getting cold here till Mid November.

I'm now wigging it through December hoping to be APL by the end of the year. Hiding my hair under wigs. Hot oil treatment prepoo, co washing 2x a week. Care Free Curl as my moisturizer and sealing with castor oil.

Cornrows and silks scarves for me -20 degrees Celsius and -40 are no joke!

Cornrows and twists (many twist outs) no heat, leave in conditioner, seal with oil and an emulsified cream (trying out chicoro's method), and a little vaseline on my ends if i still can't keep them moist.

I love playing with my hair, and its always damaged at the back so i have to keep it styled to leave it alone. Low mani is so HARD for me, but having it in cornrows should help.

DC every week, satin bonnet and satin pillowcase.

Let's home it works out.

My hair actually didn't do too bad last winter. But this winter, I will definitely spend majority of my time in half wigs and braids. And also cut back on heat.

I answered this in a similar thread already but I will answer it again;

I'm going to make sure I limit the amount of humectants I use in cold weather.
I also am going to use heavier leave-ins.
I'm going to wash my hair at night only since I dont use heat to dry my hair.
I'm going to put satin or silk underneath my wool hats.
I'm going to keep making my hair PH balanced so it can better retain moisture and stay soft.

Oil my hair and water-wash plus use sateen or silk scarves pinned to my pillow so I don't necessarily have to sleep with a bonnet on. I'm aiming for freedom!!!

To do prepoos w/ oil or burt bees
Add in the homegrown steam treatment( i'm already using a steam cap)
Add honey in my DC's along w/JBCO
Use a heavy moisturizer(maybe a butter mix)
PS-sew-ins, crotchets, and braids

*I want to add in some coconut milk or cream but the jury still out on this*

I'm going to cowash everyday :yep:, and I'm not using a drop of heat (ie. flatiron, blowdryer, bonnet dryer, etc). The first time I straightened as a natural was sometime last October and, imo, my hair hasn't been the same since. I really want to do a "no heat until hip length challenge" but those rollersets be tempting me :blush:.

Cowashing no more than twice a week (it gets COLD here).. so I'll have to make sure to actually seal my hair. Also need to keep up with exercise and especially drinking water (I don't feel my dehydration as much when its cold, and for me dehydration = insane shedding.)

I'll be bunning! yay! I'm TRYING to do no direct heat, with maybe one or two exceptions, until february or so (I should make APL by then if I'm consistent.) I always airdry unless I'm straightening-- the temptation will be to avoid straightening. I'm counting on my laziness to get me through-- No twisting means that wet bunning is probably the most beautiful thing that has happened to hair, since ever.

I'm going to continue to protective style and keep my hair moisturized. I really let my hair go last winter because I was so busy and stressed from law school.

I'm thinking about trying curlformers so that I can mix it up when I get tired of buns. I used to be an dedicated rollersetter, but I'm so bored with sets now.

But, to answer the ONE thing I will do better, I am going to DC or steam twice a week to combat dryness.

The weather here can get pretty nasty and is unpredictable so my plan is to
-PS with crochet braids (I've been using synthetic hair but i considering using human for the winter since the styles will probably last longer and hold up better if I need to DC more frequently)
- Get a steamer (hopefully by the end of the month)
and just generally be very in tune with my hairs moisture needs, this is also my first winter really taking care of my hair and i want to make it productive and get lots of progress by spring

Trying to think about what I learned in the winters of 2008-09 and 2009-10....

***I get so accustomed to cowashing 5-7 times a week in the summer that the last two winters I cowashed WAY too much. Also, I think my hair does better moisture-wise in the dry winter months when I DC as opposed to cowashing. To get myself away from cowashing, I will wear my hair straight at least 3 weeks a month. Straightening is a problem in the humid VA/NC summers, so I will use the lack of humidity to wear my Dominican blowouts for a full three weeks come mid-October!
***The week my hair is not straight or "out", I will bun and make sure to use something heavy to moisturize and seal, like the Qhemet creams/butters and/or Vaseline.
***I also learned from wigging it in 2008 and wearing chunky two-strand twists in 2009 that my hair likes to be left alone from Oct-March. By straightening it, I will cut down on manipulation (and knots) and I can let it thrive.

I live in So Cal and we don't really have winter to speak of.

I'll be bunning more and definitely sealing my ends. I might throw in a cowash here and there but my hair and scalp don't usually like an overload of condish.

I live in Alabama and it really doesn't start getting cold until November/December.

No major changes. I'll probably be bunning a lot instead of keeping my hair braided. I know when I go back home (DMV) for the holidays I'm gonna have to tweak my reggie a bit to compensate for the change in weather (add more moisture).

Gonna try to put oil on my hair more this winter. Also going to try to make my curls last longer so I won't have to rush out of the house with wet hair. I'm going to straighten more often which might not necessarily be better. I'm also going to bun and wear more protective styles since my hair in its natural state is brushing my clothes sometimes.

Back