Cold weather is coming...What will you do better this fall/winter?

I will definately bring back oil rinsing , steaming, and keep my hair stretched with roller sets, twist , and braid outs....

I will def be back to protective styling and keeping my head warm! Winter in London is harsh

ooh great post I will def be moisturising more often and protecting my hair via sew ins all winter long, trying to nourish inside and out is a big one for me, that means eating right and reducing stress too.

This will be my first winter as a natural in over 6 years (BC in Aug. 2010). So my plan is to baby my hair until I get it back to APL. DC once a week. co wash 3 or 4x a week. shampoo once evry 6-8 weeks. Aloe vera juice and gel. Drink water. French rows under wigs. shea butter, jojoba oil on ends. And of course MTG!

I plan to go back to the baggie method, which I did when I first joined the boards years ago. This is what go me to past shoulder length.

Will continue the Same Regimen, just switch the Products up a bit to include heavier creams, butters, lotions, Oils, DC'ers etc....

Will Co-Wash
Reconstruct
Deep Condition *with Steamer or Heat Cap
Keep Protein/Moisture in Balance
Keep Porosity in Check
Daily Moisturizer underneath the Wig

*May incorporate more HOTS = Hot Oil Treatments
**Continue to PS (Wiggin' it out till Spring '11)

I will be bunning more and diffusing when I cowash...I may try str8ening near the end of the yr..

Am I understanding correctly that sealing with butters (for me it would be elasta qp mango butter) is better for winter weather b/c it's heavier?

I live in FL -- the part of FL that gets cold, although not colder than some of your locations -- I will continue to bun, moisturize and seal 2x daily and steam either weekly or every other week. I wasn't a LHCF last winter so understanding my hair during the winter months is new challenge I'll be up against.

Last edited:
My hair is healthy so I am going to be doing more rollersets instead of this tired ponytail I've been wearing. I will be cutting my hair from MBL to a little above BSL and will be wearing it in curls and waves.

I will be continuting my every 2 weeks swapping between my lace fronts and my natural hair, I will also be steaming more since I didn't have my steamer until after the beginning of february last year :nono: When wearing my own hair, I will try to focus more on updo's and going to the salon for roller sets :)

NYC winters are harsh.....will continue my same regime, but may throw some cowashes at night and just moisturize and seal more maybe 3x's a day...

Thank God for LHCF. This is my first year....I didn't even realize I needed a different regimen for colder months!

I will definitely have to find a new moisturizer....I use a glycerin based homemade juice now so this is out. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Other than that, I'll continue listening to my hair's moisture needs. Still sealing and protecting my ends while in micro braids or twists under and out of my half-wigs. I may try shea butter for this (I'm currently using plain castor oil). I also plan to purchase some scrap silk fabric (thanks to the sis who suggested this)to wear under my wigs and hats.

QUESTION:

I also currently use Suave Humectants shampoo and conditioner. LOVE how moisturized my hair feels after I use both, but will I have to find a new fall/winter poo and condish since these are humectants?

Chicago winters are the worst. I will probably wear two strand twists (with extensions) all winter long. I'll do co-washes, moisturize and seal and deep conditions with them in.

I didn't do anything right last winter (didn't LHCF til last spring), so this time around I plan on doing everything you ladies post in this thread:

--Hiding my hair as much as possible (wigs, kinky twists, phony puff)
--Moisturizing and sealing every night (rather than every other night)
--Wearing cute hats more with a satin cap
--Cornrows and braids underneath kept for at least two weeks at a time
--No wearing my hair "out" (no puffs, twist-outs, twists/braids that are not pinned or tucked in)
--Keeping my hair pH balanced
--Absolutely no heat

I'd honestly be doing these things in the spring/summer too but I'm going extra hardcore this winter.

Back