:::COLD WAVE RODS:::

Anew

Does anyone else besides me have absolutely no luck when trying to use these things to rod their hair? I want some spirals, but I can't figure out how to use these things correctly. I can never roll it all the way up w/o some hair coming out. Is there another way to create that spiral look w/o using these?

6h6qs4.jpg

I think they can only be used when perming hair. They never work for me either, and when I was complaining to a friend who went to cosmetology school, she told me they only work when perming hair.

BUT she went to a crappy cosmetology school, so I'm not 100% sure.

Those type of rods work pretty well for me, but I prefer using flexirods. They come in very small sizes too (red, I believe is very small).

Does anyone else besides me have absolutely no luck when trying to use these things to rod their hair? I want some spirals, but I can't figure out how to use these things correctly. I can never roll it all the way up w/o some hair coming out. Is there another way to create that spiral look w/o using these?

6h6qs4.jpg
In my fotki, I have a "tutorial" where I explain how to roll and secure the rollers. I LOVE THESE! Use them often and have them in EVERY COLOR! They are perfect for me and since my hair is now shorter, they work better than flexi rods (I have those too) I almost have every roller known to man! LOL! In my fotki it's under "styles" I believe. I would go get it an post here, but I cannot access fotki from work. HTH!

Oh yeah, I hope you arent using the red ones, they are much too small for your hair. That may be the problem. You could use the purple and orange ones with no problem.

Attachments

• perm rods.jpg
    perm rods.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 6
In my fotki, I have a "tutorial" where I explain how to roll and secure the rollers. I LOVE THESE! Use them often and have them in EVERY COLOR! They are perfect for me and since my hair is now shorter, they work better than flexi rods (I have those too) I almost have every roller known to man! LOL! In my fotki it's under "styles" I believe. I would go get it an post here, but I cannot access fotki from work. HTH!
Aww, I can't either, lol. I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I hope you arent using the red ones, they are much too small for your hair. That may be the problem. You could use the purple and orange ones with no problem.

No, I have the blue ones though. But I use those on my daughter's hair when she has individual braids in. So I guess for my hair I should get the larger ones

I've used the red ones to add to my flexi rod set when I ran out. You have to wind the ends a couple of times then wind the rest of the hair in a spiral motion till you get to the roots then you secure. HTH

I have the orange and I like the curls. They seem to hold a tighter curl and take longer to fall than flexi-rods, but they make cute spiral curls for me. You can probably use less holding product to make them fall faster. For uneven or ends that needs babying, I use end papers.

My mother used these on my hair for years when I was a child and they worked for me. I used them frequently once I got older as a relaxed head. I've tried them on my natural hair too. They worked for me so I never bought flexi rods. You just have to wrap the hair around and clip the little thing. If you can't figure them out on wet hair try applying them to dry hair with setting lotion.

ETA: I used the orange and beige ones.

Last edited:
Well I know the technique, its just that when I start winding/wrapping, the ends pop out. I can't explain it to make sense, lol. But the ends always stick out.

Your curls look beautiful on your fotki :grin:. I have these and the flexi rods but the flexi rods work better for me. The curl is spiraled more and last longer.

I just got the hang of these. The give me a cute little curly fro. The key to the ends not coming out is to use end papers on your hair b4 you roll it up. And to stop the thing from popping off, look at the direction the rubber band is going in at the bottom and make sure when your attaching it your not pulling it out in the opposite direction. Hard to explain but if it pops out, next time b4 you try to clamp it down turn it around clockwise( the end piece) and see if that helps. I probably just confused you more.

Your curls look beautiful on your fotki :grin:. I have these and the flexi rods but the flexi rods work better for me. The curl is spiraled more and last longer.
Aww, thank you! Yeah, when my hair was longer, flexirods were the bomb, but now my hair is shorter, so the rods are a little easier.

I just got the hang of these. The give me a cute little curly fro. The key to the ends not coming out is to use end papers on your hair b4 you roll it up. And to stop the thing from popping off, look at the direction the rubber band is going in at the bottom and make sure when your attaching it your not pulling it out in the opposite direction. Hard to explain but if it pops out, next time b4 you try to clamp it down turn it around clockwise( the end piece) and see if that helps. I probably just confused you more.
Yeah, there is a little groove at the bottom of the rods that the band slips into, turn the band towards your scalp till it sits in the groove and they will stay perfectly secure. And I cosign on the endpapers for holding your ends. Also if you use mousse, just lay your hair on the roller with a little mousse and that will hold it too.

Thanks. I didn't get any end papers, so I'll go get some and see how that works.

Back