Cognitive Dissonance about Braids

Angelicus

I finally got individual braids! The nice lady who did them told me first, "You must want waist length braids, because you have long hair." Well that comment alone had me blushing like Bashful from the 7 dwarfs. The process took 8 hours. I was so happy that she didn't do my braids tight. I looked in the mirror after she was done and said, "Now I look like all the girls in New Orleans :-/ "

Then I got up from my chair and nearly fell backward because my hair was so heavy. It was so hard to hold my head up the next day at work! The braids also make me look like a high school student: all of these little boys keep coming up to me giving me their numbers :mad:

It gets worse: It's bad enough that I'm sticking out of Japan like a thumb, but the people here are fascinated by my hair, asking me if it is all mine. wtf? what kind of question is that? They all about extentions here! The japanese word for extentions is "Extentions." Everyone here has them, especially the men. Anyhoo, They are all amazed that I can braid the long hair into one big herringbone braid. And I guess I started a trend because one girl ran in the extentions store and said she wanted her hair exactly like mine.

The worse thing is, back at home, and in Japan, people here think I am bald because I'm wearing braids :( 6 people have already believed that I'm obviously bald since I'm wearing this stuff. I know I'm not supposed to care about what these people think, but shoot I want my hair back :( This mess is heavy! And I miss washing my hair everyday. I'm so sick of spraying three kinds of mess on my hair everyday (scurl, infusium mix, oil mix) sometimes twice a day. I hate the way I look in them! AAAAAHH! I wish I could just take em out right now but I feel like I will be wasting 125 dollars :(

Ok that is my rant of the day.

girl, do you what you need to do to feel like you!! you cant be walkin around not feeling as "anky" as you should!

braids are not for everyone....so, yes you may have wasted 125, but at least you know now and you wont do it again, right?? before you take them out, though...think about why you put them in in the first place...if you can achieve that goal without them then chock this one up to life experience, live and learn type ish...ya know?

and yes, we know we're not supposed to care what folks think about our hair, but come on....we do...at least a little...dont feel bad cuz other people's comments sometimes hurt your feelings...you ARE a human being!

This is how I felt the first time I got braids. They were too heavy for my little bitty head and I just couldn't stand it. I also couldn't stand the idea of taking them out so soon because I'd spent $120 on them. I kept them in for 4 weeks and the next time I got them done, I got them done with human hair. I say, if u are uncomfortable by all means take them out.

Back