Coconut vs Olive Oil 4 Naturals and Relaxed Heads

Blacktresses

I was talking to one of my girls about the use of these oils as a hot oil treatment. She is relaxed 4b (I hipped her up to this site) and uses olive oil on her tresses. She was telling me the wonders of olive oil on her hair.
shocked.gif
She stated that after leaving her hair in EVOO all day how soft her hair was (bad english). Even her hairdresser stated that her hair was in much better conditioner ( now how many times have we all heard that comment
mad.gif
). Anywho, I was tellin' her how the EVOO seems to just sit on top of my hair. I really haven't notice any difference at all (BTW, I am natural 3c/4a). However, when I apply coconut oil on my hair, it comes out ubber soft, HIH diease).

I would like to know how many of you actually witness this difference in your hair with these oils ???
ohwell.gif
confused.gif

i have better success with the olive oil..however, i dont do either one often. i am not a big fan of oils.

i will add the olive oil to my spritzes on occassion and sometimes my conditioner.

Re: Coconut vs Olive Oil 4 Naturals and Relaxed He

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
I have good results with both of them, i love them both alot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

I really like Olive oil it does not just sit on my hair for me, Coconut seems too oily and the smell, is not my fav for my hair, is really oil, I may over us the coconut when I apply it, but I do really have better results from olive oil, as far as not being oily or the smell and coconut can become hard

I like EVOO, but I deinitely see a huge difference when I just apply to my hair, and when I use it with heat. It does sort of just sit on my hair whe I apply it directly. As part of my pre-shampoo treatment, though, it leaves my hair super soft
smile.gif

I usually use EVOO on the length of my dry hair on relaxer days, to protect my hair. So my hair is getting a pre-shampoo treatment while I retouch. After I'm finished relaxing, shampooing and conditioning, my hair is so very soft. I'm mainly using the coconut oil to soften my new growth.

i use just plain olive oil as a pre-poo treatment, and i usually use coconut oil after i've airdryed my hair, for sheen. i wouldn't use the olive oil on my dry hair because i don't really like the smell. to me the coconut oil doesn't really have a smell. also, olive oil is a little too thick for me to apply to dry hair.

I love both. I love oils! I mix them ALL together in a bottle and warm it in a jar of hot water! Soybean, Coconut, Olive, Jojoba... It doesn't matter; It's great as a pretreatment, or for shine. The trick is to not overdo it
smile.gif

btw: i am also a big fan of hot six and I believe that olive oil is the first ingredient
smile.gif

Off topic...for the ladies that have responded using these oils for pre-poo treatment, do you apply to wet hair or dry hair?

I apply mine to slightly damp hair because it's easier for me to put it in that way.

Dry hair for me...im too lazy to wet my hair first and like the results I've seen so far with pretreatments of dry hair

[ QUOTE ]
ricamorena03 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
I have good results with both of them, i love them both alot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

[/ QUOTE ]

Double DITTO

I live both of the oils, but they both work better when I heat them up first or sit under the hooded dryer for a little while. If I put it on cold and then don't let any heat get to it, it will just sit on my hair (olive oil).

I love both. I started combining them and using the mix after I wash my hair. As a pre-shampoo treatment I like EVOO. I apply it to damp hair.

I prefer coconut oil, myself. I use it mostly as an overnight treatment 2-3 times a week, and it helps make my hair nice and shiny-soft. And when I've used it on my hair just as a styling aid, it doesn't leave behind a lot of grease like others I've tried. I think the secret is to use only a little tiny bit because it's so rich.

I once read someplace that coconut oil has very tiny molecles; it's one of the few oils that can penetrate the hair shaft. I also read that it tends to work best if you have very thick or coarse hair -- and since my hair is both, I guess that's why it's such a good match.
smile.gif
(Natural 3b to 4a, BTW.)

~Rochelle.

i don't use coconut oil. But when I use olive oil it works great on my ends but it makes my hair really greasy like and oily. I'm a 2c with 3a/3b parts so I don't know.

i've never tried coconut oil .. but evoo works just fine for me. i'm a relaxed 3c/4a i think

I hate EVOO applied directly to my hair...it just sits there. Coconut oil works wonders on my 3c/4a natural hair. It moisturizes, shines and loosens the curl significantly, the trick is to use just a little of the warm liquified oil. When I use coconut oil and roller set my natural hair and sit under a hood dryer, most people think I have a press. The sections that are 3c dry completely straight and the 4a sections have very little frizz. I remedy this by wrapping after I take the rollers out and applying a few more drops of coconut oil before tying in a satin scarf.

I cannot live without olive oil. I apply it after conditioning my hair together with a leave in conditioner. For my hair there is no such thing as too much oil!
grin.gif

As odd as this is about to sound, my hair looks and feels like a hot mess when I use them individually. BUT when I mix them and add some shea butter, I get better results.

I've never used coconut oil as a hot oil treatment, but about once a week I use a honey/olive oil pre-wash treatment and it does wonders for my hair. I use it with a heat cap for about 20-30 minutes and then rinse it out and continue with my no-poo regimen. It leaves my hair very soft and shiny too.

[ QUOTE ]
blacktresses said:
I was talking to one of my girls about the use of these oils as a hot oil treatment. She is relaxed 4b (I hipped her up to this site) and uses olive oil on her tresses. She was telling me the wonders of olive oil on her hair.
shocked.gif
She stated that after leaving her hair in EVOO all day how soft her hair was (bad english). Even her hairdresser stated that her hair was in much better conditioner ( now how many times have we all heard that comment
mad.gif
). Anywho, I was tellin' her how the EVOO seems to just sit on top of my hair. I really haven't notice any difference at all (BTW, I am natural 3c/4a). However, when I apply coconut oil on my hair, it comes out ubber soft, HIH diease).

I would like to know how many of you actually witness this difference in your hair with these oils ???
ohwell.gif
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you. I will take coconut oil over olive oil any day.
smile.gif
I was using olive oil on my hair before I came to this forum...but stopped after I was getting a lot of build up and flakes in my hair. The coconut oil leaves my hair so soft and shiny. I also love the scent of it too. It's a great moisturizer!

[ QUOTE ]
erica78 said:
[ QUOTE ]
blacktresses said:
shocked.gif
mad.gif

ohwell.gif
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you. I will take coconut oil over olive oil any day.
smile.gif
I was using olive oil on my hair before I came to this forum...but stopped after I was getting a lot of build up and flakes in my hair. The coconut oil leaves my hair so soft and shiny. I also love the scent of it too. It's a great moisturizer!

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind do you use? I am thinking about purchasing some
smile.gif

I use two brands, both of them are Indian. Parachute and Dabur Anmol <--my fav. I am not sure if they are refined or not. I have been told that the Parachute brand is not refined...but it has never dried my hair out or anything.

[ QUOTE ]
erica78 said:
I use two brands, both of them are Indian. Parachute and Dabur Anmol <--my fav. I am not sure if they are refined or not. I have been told that the Parachute brand is not refined...but it has never dried my hair out or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanx for the quick reply
smile.gif
can you order the parachute or the damur online?

Back