Coconut Oil ?

sweetie25

Has anyone ever heard of coconut oil growing your hair or putting back the nourishment in your hair? Reason for questioning is because I went to the west indian store to buy some jerk seasoning and they had coconut oil for the hair. The woman who owns the store told me that it was good for growing hair and putting nourishment in the hair. And you use it as a pre shampoo and afterwards if you wanted. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
smirk.gif

I think it's good for helping the hair to retain moisture. But I've come to the realization that nothing we put on our hair can make it grow faster.
nono.gif

I use coconut oil as a preshampoo treatment as well as a headdress and I can tell you that it has attributed to extra 1/4 inch of growth to my hair every month.

I never used to get an inch of new growth per month, but I did when I started using coconut oil.

Let me clarify my statement...

Keeping moisture in the hair (i.e. using coconut oil, leave-in conditioners, water, activator, etc.) can and will aid in hair growth. Moisture is the key--not the product. Whatever an individual finds that keeps their hair moisturized is what is important. It's working for you--that's great!
up.gif

Coconut oil makes my hair feel soft, but it doesn't retain moisture for me as well as curl activator...

Now when you say 'preshampoo' does that mean taking the oil and puttin it in ya hair by massaging it or so or is there some kind of shampooing you are doing w/water? Like for me i have come hairgrease coconut oil so would i put the grease in my hair and then use some water and THEN shampoo or is it just plain ol puttin in some grease and then doin the poo. Now next month im gonna start this thing w/motions and its no poo method i wonder if it will come out fine w/o using poo.

keke,

preshampoo means putting the oil (warm or room temperature) in your hair and leave it in. when the oil is warm you call it a hot oil treatment. you can leave the oil in as long as you want (the longer the better). you just cover your head with a plastic cap.

sweetie25,

i do not think that any product will make your hair grow (faster). coconut oil however is very good for hair in general, i use it on my hair all the time (every day) and it keeps it soft, shiny and moisturized. coconut oil is loved by a whole lot of people on several hairboards (all races).

nay

[ QUOTE ]
I use coconut oil as a preshampoo treatment as well as a headdress and I can tell you that it has attributed to extra 1/4 inch of growth to my hair every month.

I never used to get an inch of new growth per month, but I did when I started using coconut oil.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto butterscotch.
Also since I started in February with my hair care regimine not only did amla oil do wonders, but yes I see more improvement when I use coconut oil...especially on the ends of my hair...I get 1 inch of growth per month. I think that Sassygirl is right also, what we put on our hair does not make it grow (but it does keep it from breaking off)...the right stuff that is
smile.gif

Thank you ladies, I was not sure if this woman wa trying to sell me something that was not going to improve my hair or what.
KeKe, when I say pre shampoo I mean put the oil in your hair and letting it sit for a while (sometimes a few minutes to a few hours), then I proceed with my wash, condition, and deep condition. But I have never heard of using coconut oil, but I will give it my 30 day work out. I use a product for 30 days and if it does not work then I throw it away.
I am trying to achieve 1 inch a month again, before my husband got stationed here in Kansas (which is hell) I used to have 1 inch or better. When I first got here the weather damaged my hair horribly but I have managed to get it back together and with the posts from this forum I am using different methods to make it healthy and grow. I am just looking for advise from women with the same mission as myself HEALTHY, LONGER HAIR.

Thank You,
Sweetie

Right, that's true, the product does not make your hair grow. Your hair, grows monthly regardless, keeping it moisturized helps you retain the lenght, and it seems visble, people often think it's not product, but it's the moisture.

[ QUOTE ]
Let me clarify my statement...

Keeping moisture in the hair (i.e. using coconut oil, leave-in conditioners, water, activator, etc.) can and will aid in hair growth. Moisture is the key--not the product. Whatever an individual finds that keeps their hair moisturized is what is important. It's working for you--that's great!
up.gif

Coconut oil makes my hair feel soft, but it doesn't retain moisture for me as well as curl activator...

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought of it that way....That's probably the reason why I even noticed the 1/4 inch...
smile.gif

Back