Coconut Oil Spray? Anyone do this?

AsTheCurlzTurns

Okay I so love me some coconut oil!:heart:

Anywho, I know this oil sometimes comes in solid form which sometimes melts into liquid form. I use the Spectrum in the jar and it does go both ways for me depending on where I have the jar at.

So I was wondering, does anyone put some coconut oil in a spray bottle and use it to spray their hair, as in sealing with it or something? Yes, I do understand about it could become solid when not in use or depending on where you have it stored. But could you also let it sit in some warm or hot water to get it to liquid consistency to be sprayed?

I haven't yet tried this but have been wondering about it, seeing as I like to apply leave-ins or moisturizers and seal with some coconut oil. I'm just wondering if using it in a sprayer would work just as well also. Sometimes when in twists, or even wearing a WnG style, I don't be wanting to mess them up.

So has anyone tried this or some variation of it? TIA!

Yes, I do, but I also mix it with other oils. I went Linens and Things and bought one normally used to put olive oil in, (aerosol type I think) and it works fine. I spray my girls braids with it. So far so good, it hasn't clogged up on me and it's still liquid after the first warming.

This seems pretty smart and less you using your hands, other than to smooth it through the hair. I might try this, but the solidifying moments can easily be taken care of.

Try mixing it with Grapeseed oil.

Grapeseed Oil

Grapeseed oil is popular because it is odorless and full of minerals and vitamins that help strengthen your hair. It is an odorless oil, and can help add shine and moisture to your hair. Grapeseed oil is known for having a high content of linoleic acid, an important fatty acid that supports cell health.

Yes, I do, but I also mix it with other oils. I went Linens and Things and bought one normally used to put olive oil in, (aerosol type I think) and it works fine. I spray my girls braids with it. So far so good, it hasn't clogged up on me and it's still liquid after the first warming.
I've never seen this aerosol-type sprayer you speak of that's used for olive oil I don't think. But am interested in checking this out if I knew what to look for.
This seems pretty smart and less you using your hands, other than to smooth it through the hair. I might try this, but the solidifying moments can easily be taken care of.
Exactly! It seems it would be a lil less manipulation if you're just spraying instead of using your hands all over your head.
Try mixing it with Grapeseed oil.

Grapeseed Oil

Grapeseed oil is popular because it is odorless and full of minerals and vitamins that help strengthen your hair. It is an odorless oil, and can help add shine and moisture to your hair. Grapeseed oil is known for having a high content of linoleic acid, an important fatty acid that supports cell health.
Now this sounds like a plan! I do have some grapeseed oil on hand. What ratio would you suggest to mix the 2 as? Thanks!

In a mix that I've made I used Grapeseed oil as about 1/3rd the mixture. My current mix has a bit of Shea Butter in it also, the mixture is currently in a squeeze bottle that I had laying around. With that said just mix enough Grapeseed Oil in to ensure that the mixture sprays well.

Now this sounds like a plan! I do have some grapeseed oil on hand. What ratio would you suggest to mix the 2 as? Thanks!

Last edited:
In a mix that I've made I used about Grapeseed oil as about 1/3rd the mixture. My current mix has a bit of Shea Butter in it also, the mixture is currently in a squeeze bottle that I had laying around. With that said just mix enough Grapeseed Oil in to ensure that the mixture sprays well.

Thanks so much for this info, will give it a try and see how it works out for me.:grin:

Girl YES, YES and more YES! I went to Sally's and got a spray bottle for this. I too use the Spectrum brand, which I think smells the best of them all. I use this to moisten my hair for my twistouts when I'm redoing them at night for bed. I mix it with Vatika, Aceite 3 (a combo of olive oil, castor oil, and sweet almond oil), suave coconut conditioner, and mostly water. I shake it up and it smells so good. I part my hair in sections for my flat twists and spray my scalp and hair and mainly ends. This makes the twist out so soft and bouncy. My friends love this mix, they come by and spray it on their hair too whenever they're over here.

I've never seen this aerosol-type sprayer you speak of that's used for olive oil I don't think. But am interested in checking this out if I knew what to look for.

You can get it at Linen and Things, Bed Bath and Beyond, even Walmart carries it ($$$cheaper too) Just look in the cooking section. At LT and BBB they usually sale for $9.95 and $5.95 or so at Walmart.

I don't know how to post a pic in the thread, but if you go you should see it. they usually have some type of design on them. I personally like this bottle better than the normal spray bottle but both work pretty good.

Yep! I have a spray bottle from Sally's that I mix my virgin coconut oil, brahmi oil, and bhringaraj oil in. I spray my scalp and massage with the mix. Love it!

Girl YES, YES and more YES! I went to Sally's and got a spray bottle for this. I too use the Spectrum brand, which I think smells the best of them all. I use this to moisten my hair for my twistouts when I'm redoing them at night for bed. I mix it with Vatika, Aceite 3 (a combo of olive oil, castor oil, and sweet almond oil), suave coconut conditioner, and mostly water. I shake it up and it smells so good. I part my hair in sections for my flat twists and spray my scalp and hair and mainly ends. This makes the twist out so soft and bouncy. My friends love this mix, they come by and spray it on their hair too whenever they're over here.

I do something similar to this...:yep:, I use water, a reconstructor and coconut oil. I use it for my rollersets, braidouts, or just basic styling before I moisturize every day.

Old thread but I think I will try this. Coconut oil gives me the best shine but I seem to apply it to heavily with my hands. A spray bottle sounds good.

Back