coconut oil and heat

Growingmyhairlong

Alright, dumb question seriously but I blow dried my hair today and after the process I rubbed coconut oil all over my hair. Without thinking that I have bangs now I just kept rubbing it throughout my hair. I need to flat iron my bang tomorrow should I be worried or should my hair be okay. Help me please. SMH Maybe I will just keep the bang hidden away for the week but I really don't want to lol

It depends on what temperature you plan to flat iron your hair with. Coconut oil tends to have a smoke point of around 350 degrees if I am not mistaken and if you flat iron above that you are essentially frying your hair, while if you were using a heat protectant, which generally contains some type of silicones (which are very heat resistant) your hair would not end up fryed.

Why dont you just rewash your bangs to get the coconut oil out? You dont want no greasy bangs hanging in your face.

Thanks ladies. Rewashing might be an option if I can get some time tomorrow or tonight to do it. If not I will turn my flat iron down to may 250-280 and hopefully my hair should be safe with that. I will spray some heat protectant first. This is why I love LHF advice at your fingertips lol. I was stressing and it took me so long to wash, henna, detangle, and blowdry my hair. I didn't want me to have to start all over again.

take your bangs out and put the rest of your hair up. lean forward in the sink and wash you bangs only. Use a cup or some sort of container to rinse to avoid water splashing everywhere and ont he rest of your hair :)

Is the oil actually harmful (state your reasonsing please), or just "the hair would be without proctetion after a certain temperature"?

I'm planning on diffusing with some coconut oil, not much, just like two drops.

I don't think coconut oil is harmful but it is used for cooking. I was worried about frying my hair at too high of a temp. I turned down my flat iron this morning and it worked great. No burning or burning smells.

Back