Coconut Milk and Lime Juice Review

Nice & Wavy

I finally gave in a tried this out. I used Thai Coconut Milk. I mixed the lime juice in the can and poured the whole can over my head......cold, cold, cold. I survived. :lol:

After letting it drip in the sink (very, very messy) I squeezed out as much as I could and alot of it was still in my hair. I covered my hair with plastic bag and used papertowels around the edges for dripping.

Ok...the outcome.....:eek: !!! My curls laid down....I couldn't believe it. I had to show my husband too and he said it does look different, more relaxed. I think my hair laid down more in the front, back and sides more than the crown, so I'll have to make sure I get more on my crown the next time.

I did deep condition my hair afterwards with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, mixed with Lacio, Lacio and Naidcit Avocodo conditioner along with EVOO. My hair was buttery soft.

I then put in a little Lacio, Lacio and WGO together after I used my Boundless Tresses on my scalp on my hair. Afterwards, I put two braids, one on each side of my head and put my scarf on. Today, my hair is super soft and looks nice and smooth.

I'll have to do it again. I like it, alot.

I took pics in my fotki, but sorry ladies...can't show my hair until April 1st.

Blessings...:p

I want to try this once my hair gets to shoulder length..
I remember reading that some apply the mixture using a brush and brushing it on like you would a relaxer...that reduces the mess

cutiebe2 said:
I remember reading that some apply the mixture using a brush and brushing it on like you would a relaxer...that reduces the mess

Yes, I heard that too...I guess I didn't want to have to do all that so I just leaned over my sink and poured. It wasn't too bad just ran down the sink and then I squeezed out most of it after letting it sit for about 5 minutes. Then I put the bag on...after that it wasn't bad at all. Just the excess was messy.

I love it I tried just the coconut milk on my daughter's natural hair I put it on for about 30 minutes with a plastic cap then washed her hair. It was so soft and there was less shrinkage.

i did this over the weekend and yes my hair dried about 1.5 inches longer than it does normally.i like that its more manageable but i donno how i feel about my curl pattern, i liked it at first but now it seems like i lost too much.... it could be from me not activating them with water this week so my hair is jus more like straight pattern in some areas yet still texturized

i love this method but have yet to get it to a consistency of being able to brush it on. i just mix the coconut milk with some conditioner and pour it on over the sink too. i love it!! my hair was super soft and everyone comments on how soft it is. my mom even accused me of "just having conditioner on my hair":). it was dry and brushed back in a ponytail/bun. :grin:

Qetesh said:
i did this over the weekend and yes my hair dried about 1.5 inches longer than it does normally.i like that its more manageable but i donno how i feel about my curl pattern, i liked it at first but now it seems like i lost too much.... it could be from me not activating them with water this week so my hair is jus more like straight pattern in some areas yet still texturized

Qetesh, you are the reason why I broke down and tried it yesterday :D .

I too noticed that my curl pattern was a little looser, so to speak, but I think I like that more because I was getting a little tired of the tight curl my hair has and having it lay down a little more just excites me to no end.

I don't think that I will be doing this on a regular though....but, I will do it again at some point before the summer.

honeybadgirl said:
i love this method but have yet to get it to a consistency of being able to brush it on. i just mix the coconut milk with some conditioner and pour it on over the sink too. i love it!! my hair was super soft and everyone comments on how soft it is. my mom even accused me of "just having conditioner on my hair":). it was dry and brushed back in a ponytail/bun. :grin:

Your hair looks so pretty and silky in your avatar. :p

Do you add the lime juice or just use the milk and the conditioner?

Brendab27713 said:
I love it I tried just the coconut milk on my daughter's natural hair I put it on for about 30 minutes with a plastic cap then washed her hair. It was so soft and there was less shrinkage.

did you add the lime juice or just the milk?

Has anyone with relaxed hair tried this? I'm about 3 months post and would like to try this instead of relaxing again.

Nice & Wavy said:
Your hair looks so pretty and silky in your avatar. :p

Do you add the lime juice or just use the milk and the conditioner?

thank you!!:) and no i do not add lime juice. i added it once but didnt really notice more of a difference than i did w/o it. i just add coconut oil and evoo. i also heat the mixture up a little b4 putting it on. i agree too with you regarding limiting the usage. i did slow down:grin: . it was taking too much of my texture away. in that pic my hair was super str8!!! i could barely keep bobby(hair) pins in it or my phonie bun on:lachen: .

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. I am going to try using this formula between relaxers so I don't do any damage to my hair while I'm stretching.

Does this method permanently alter the texture of your hair or is it just temporary? I am currently all natural and would like to try this, but I would be afraid of any permanent damage to my curl pattern.

no, its not permananet. it just loosens the curl/wave a bit. i dont know if you kept doing over and over again over for a long period of time would do.:look:

cutiebe2 said:

I tired it that wasy. Not that much difference in the mess. Trust me:lol:!

I'm literally doing a shopping list right now! Anyway, how long did you guys leave this mix in your hair for? Did you guys do this as a prepoo or use it like you would a reg DC? I really wanted to do this tonight.

Has anyone tried Lemon juice with it? If so, are the results still the same, as with the Lime juice?

Todah (Thanks) in advance:)

I do this every month - I LOVE it - it has a place in my regular weekly regimen, just like henna!

I'm all natural, 4a/b, and no, I haven't noticed a permanent change - heck, I'm using this AND henna (which also loosens curl) every month, and my hair is still just as nappy as it always was! Stronger, and easier to comb through, and loosens up ALOT when wet - but when dry, it's still tightly curled.

yes, it makes it very manageable when wet and leaves your hair really soft! the curl/wave is loosened considerably when wet. i use as a prepoo. i put it on mixed with conditioner etc on dry hair. i let it stay on for about an hour. i put a cap on, you sort of have to anyway because it is messy! but either i do things around the house/watch tv and/or sit under dryer. i never tried it with a lemon. doesnt lemon alter color in your hair?:confused:

Last edited:
I've tried this as well as a prepoo and I LOVE IT :grin: I put the mixture in the fridge and it makes it much more solid and sort of like a cold conditioner so less messy. Definitely a staple of mine NOW!

I tried this last night and mine was a little runny. I guess i'll try putting it in the fridge next time to thicken it up a bit. Other than that, i wouldn't mind doing this a couple times a month, when i don't do a henna treatment.

Nice & Wavy said:
Qetesh, you are the reason why I broke down and tried it yesterday :D .

I too noticed that my curl pattern was a little looser, so to speak, but I think I like that more because I was getting a little tired of the tight curl my hair has and having it lay down a little more just excites me to no end.

I don't think that I will be doing this on a regular though....but, I will do it again at some point before the summer.

hey i wanted to note that after i wet my hair it does reactivate curls still so i have not lost them :) i am just left with hair that lies down better than previously.

Where do you get coconut milk from ? Does it harden when cold ?

does it leave the ng straightened after the ng dries ?

I've always been scared to try this because of loosing my curl. I read on NC that some people have lost some of their curl permanently:eek: , so just be careful girl if you're gonna do this again. At the time I had no idea that coconut milk and lime juice would do that. When I posted the topic in that forum everyone jumped on me with cautions:lol: ....scared me to death, lol.

Pokahontas said:
I've always been scared to try this because of loosing my curl. I read on NC that some people have lost some of their curl permanently:eek: , so just be careful girl if you're gonna do this again. At the time I had no idea that coconut milk and lime juice would do that. When I posted the topic in that forum everyone jumped on me with cautions:lol: ....scared me to death, lol.

Thanks, Poka....yeah, I can see that happening...I noticed that my curl was looser than before, but after I did a CW last night, my tight curls came right back...but, I did notice that my hair is a lot softer than before, even with just rinsing with water.

If I do it again, it won't be with lime...I'll just do it with the coconut milk.

Thanks for the warning though....;)

Qetesh said:
hey i wanted to note that after i wet my hair it does reactivate curls still so i have not lost them :) i am just left with hair that lies down better than previously.

Mine too....same thing. Like Pokahontas said though...I don't want to loose my curl pattern so I'm going to slow wayyyyyyy down with this one!

Nice & Wavy said:
Thanks, Poka....yeah, I can see that happening...I noticed that my curl was looser than before, but after I did a CW last night, my tight curls came right back...but, I did notice that my hair is a lot softer than before, even with just rinsing with water.

If I do it again, it won't be with lime...I'll just do it with the coconut milk.

Thanks for the warning though....;)
No problem....just looking out for my buddy :).

I don't do the coconut milk and lime, but I do use coconut milk often mixed with different things. It has loosened the curl pattern some, which I don't mind. I use it mixed with conditioner, with herbs, by itself.... Last night, I mixed it with cassia and rhassoul clay. Cassia thickened it up within a second so I had to keep adding coconut milk to thin it. It never really thinned though and I put it on as a thick paste -- strong, strong, soft, soft hair today. I sometimes just put in a spray bottle and soak my hair with it and put on a shower cap for an hour. It is a staple of mine now and, when used, no tangles anywhere, ever...

Back