Co-Wash Condish Vs. DC Condish?!?

drappedup

Hi ladies, just me again with yet another thread asking yet another question regarding hair. :blush: Basically, since I have started cowashing and DCing, I've noticed some things. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. The conditioner I've been using for my cowashes has been Suave Humectant. I have had wonderful results with this, especially surprising because I always thought some brands being so cheap (a.k.a. Suave lol) meant lesser quality. I love the way my hair is after I've been cowashing. Then, there's my moisturizing DC (I've used Mane N' Tail DC for a protein one? Someone lemme know if that's off, lol), which has been once weekly, and the brand is Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner. This is where my basic question comes in, is it normal for you to feel as if you're getting "better" results from a cowash conditioner than from a DC one?

Because, after my cowashes, I really don't even need detangler. My hair feels silky and nourished, just overall OMGWOW. After my DC it's just sort of....bleh. I do need to use detangler spray (just a little, but still), and my hair doesn't feel as silkish. I don't know if I'm DCing wrong or what....but I've been shampooing then washing that out and then adding in my DC before going under a heatcap for 45-60 mins and then washing out the Kenra. Am I simply DCing wrong, or is it perfectly fine for your cowash conditioner which cost 2.79 (in comparison to the 35 bucks of Kenra!!!) to work better, or leave "better" or more instantly obvious results? Should I switch to another DC? I really don't feel like forking out another near-40, lol. >.< Especially seeing as I have so much Kenra left.

/RAMBLE

Sounds like you need a new DC. My hair feels like butter after I DC; I don't co-wash too often, so I can't compare, tho. Hopefully someone else will chime in...

ETA: A good DC doesn't have to be expensive; on the contrary, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask is an excellent, affordable choice.

Last edited:
I think I need a new one too. Damn Kenra!

I believe I was looking at the Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery before, but what threw me off were the directions. I forgot where (probably somewhere here on the forums, or in an article I've recently read, lol) it said that real DC's instruct you to leave it in for a large amount of time. And I believe the Neutrogena one only said something like 5 minutes. Am I under the wrong impression (again? lol >.<)

Maybe before you buy another dc, you should try to clairify your hair to remove some of the product and then try to dc to see if that would work.

When looking for DCs, I think that keywords like 'deep', 'treatment', 'recovery', 'mask', etc. are indicators of a DC in addition to recommended usage time; a good example is Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, hailed as a wonderful DC by many on the board, which carries instructions for use for 3 to 5 minutes.

Also, I leave my Neutrogena on way longer than advised; usually about an hour or so with a cap on.

Keep looking though; as I remember from my (natural haired) childhood, Queen Helene's Cholesterol Conditioner worked wonders for my hair, and had instructions to be left on for about a half hour. As a relaxed head, I loved Motions Moisture Plus conditioner; both worked extremely well, leaving my hair soft and moisturized.

Yes, it sounds like you need a new deep conditioner.

But just to make sure it's the conditioner and not another underlying issue, I would recommend that you clarify your hair with clarifying shampoo and then sit under the dryer with Porosity Control Corrector Conditioner and a deep conditioner. Your hair should feel like a new head of hair after this....A deep conditioner that I recommend is Pantene Relaxed And Natural Breakage Defense Mask.

Back