Clarify Then WHAT

MzOptimistic

After I clarify my hair what do I do next? Do I shampoo my hair with another shampoo, then deep condition? I ask this question because I clarified my hair once before and when I applied the shampoo (ellucence clarifying shampoo) it seemed liked the shampoo kinda stucked to my hair. I mean it washed out easy but it just felt different from regular shampooing. I did not buy the moisture balancing conditioner because I purchased the shampoo last year when I first joined the site and have never used it until recently. (like I stated before I purchased everything when I first joined and didn't know how to use it) Please, Please help me ladies..:confused: I recently ordered the moisture balancing conditioner but in the mean time what do I use with clarifying shampoo?

Thanks,
Tanya

After claryifying (I use Suave Daily Clarifying), I use CON green to shampoo with. This shampoo makes my hair really soft and detangled. Then I use the Elucence MB Conditioner mixed with olive oil. That produces good results. HTH!

After clarifying I use a moisturizing shampoo (L'oreal Nature's Therapy), then follow w/ my conditioner. HTH

Is it necessary to shampoo if you've used a clarifying shampoo? That seems redundant. Is there something I'm missing re. the clarifying process? Seems like it would be ok to do a deep conditioning after the clarifying shampoo.

WELL PERSONALLY AFTER i CLARIFIED, i USED A MOISTURIZING POO (NEXXUS POO) TO GET THE MOISTURE BACK IN ONE TIME ONLY NOT TWICE, THEN i DID THE DUO TEX WHICH IS A PROTEIN TREATMENT TO GET THE PROTEIN IN. THEN I USED NEUTROGENIA TRIPLE MOISTURE MASK TO DEEP CONDITION AND FOLLOWED UP WITH A QUICK NEXXUS CO WASH. tHAT MAY SEEM LIKE A LOT TO SOME PEOPLE BUT IT WORKED GREAT FOR MY DRY DAMAGED HAIR!

IT WILL DEFINITELY BE A STAPLE CLARIFYING REGIMINE FOR ME!

nomoweavesfome said:
WELL PERSONALLY AFTER i CLARIFIED, i USED A MOISTURIZING POO (NEXXUS POO) TO GET THE MOISTURE BACK IN ONE TIME ONLY NOT TWICE, THEN i DID THE DUO TEX WHICH IS A PROTEIN TREATMENT TO GET THE PROTEIN IN. THEN I USED NEUTROGENIA TRIPLE MOISTURE MASK TO DEEP CONDITION AND FOLLOWED UP WITH A QUICK NEXXUS CO WASH. tHAT MAY SEEM LIKE A LOT TO SOME PEOPLE BUT IT WORKED GREAT FOR MY DRY DAMAGED HAIR!

IT WILL DEFINITELY BE A STAPLE CLARIFYING REGIMINE FOR ME!

How does the moisturizing shampoo "get the moisture back in"? Is it that a shampoo is moisturizing because it is less "stripping" of the natural oils vs. replenishing?

(Thinking out loud) Have I heard of replenishing shampoos and/or conditioners?

RelaxerRehab said:
How does the moisturizing shampoo "get the moisture back in"? Is it that a shampoo is moisturizing because it is less "stripping" of the natural oils vs. replenishing?

(Thinking out loud) Have I heard of replenishing shampoos and/or conditioners?

WELL i'M NOT SURE EXACTLY HOW IT DOES IT BUT I SURE DO FEEL IT. I SUPPOSE IT'S BASED ON THE INGREDIRENTS IN THE POO. IT IS DEFINITE DEPOSITING AN EMOLLIENT TYPE OF FEEL TO MY HAIR AS OPPOSED TO IT BEING STRIPPED. I MUST DO THIS BEFORE I PROTEIN TREAT. I DO THIS FOR ME ECAUSE WHEN I PUT THE DUO TEX, THE HAIR IS VERY SOFT FEELING AN I USE MY JILBRE COMB TO COMB IT THROUGH SO I DON'T WANT A STRIIPED FEELING TO MY HAIR. ( I KNOW OTHERS MAY OPPOSE TO COMBING THROUGH A PROTEIN TREAT AS WELL BUT AGAIN THIS IS WHAT WORKS FOR ME). BY THE TIME I GET THE DEEP CO MASK AND FOLLOW UP WITH THE COWASH MY HAIR IS VERY MANAGEBLE AND TANGLE FREE. (WITH LITTLE SHEDDING) i'M TALKING OVER 10 WEEKS POST HERE.

AS FAR AS REPLENINISHING, I MEAN i'M STILL SORT OF NEW TO THE SHAMPOO CLUB. i DON'T KNOW OF ANY REPLENIISHING SHAMPOOS AT THIS TIME SO I HAVEN'T GIVEN IT A GO.

WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?

nomoweavesfome said:
AS FAR AS REPLENINISHING, I MEAN i'M STILL SORT OF NEW TO THE SHAMPOO CLUB. i DON'T KNOW OF ANY REPLENIISHING SHAMPOOS AT THIS TIME SO I HAVEN'T GIVEN IT A GO.

WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?

No suggestions on shampoos, just a thought/curiousity that such shampoos existed. So I Googled:
http://www.satisfied-mind.com/drugstore/shampoo.htm

http://www.dermnetnz.org/treatments/shampoos.html

Shampoos

Shampoos are cleansers designed to clean your hair and your scalp. Most shampoos clean your hair very well. Where they differ is how your hair feels afterward, depending partly on the strength of the surfactants. Stronger "clarifying" shampoos should not be used more than once or twice a week. Those designed for daily use contain mild surfactants and are less likely to irritate the scalp.
Ingredients of shampoos

All shampoos are 80-90% water with 2-8% detergents and foaming agents and about 1% fragrance and preservatives. Shampoos often contain antistatic and detangling agents as well as thickeners, humectants and conditioners.

Clarifying shampoos contain heavy-duty surfactants. Body building shampoos contain proteins that bond to hair and increase its volume.

Moisturizing shampoos are the best choice for dry, flyaway hair. They can cut down on static, make split ends look better (by gluing them together with proteins), and pull moisture onto hair to keep it from getting too dry.

Revitalizing or replenishing shampoos are made for color-treated, permed, and damaged hair and contain gentler surfactants. They may include ingredients designed to retain colour or to help to repair split ends, but there's little evidence that they are effective.

2-in-1 shampoos with conditioner save time but may leave your hair feeling too dry or sticky.

Baby shampoos have less detergent and are not designed for cleaning adult hair, especially when alot of styling products have been used.
How to use a shampoo

Wet the scalp and hair using warm or cool water (hot water can be drying to the hair and scalp). Apply a 5 to 10-cent amount of shampoo to palm and rub hands together to evenly distribute. Apply the shampoo to the scalp. Massage gently with your fingertips for about 30 seconds and then rinse thoroughly.
You only need to lather your hair once under normal conditions. Lather is destroyed by sebum so an oily scalp may require a second shampoo. Excessive lather is wasteful: it doesn't clean hair any better. Shampoo should be easy to rinse off, but conditioners, styling products and chemical processes may leave a residue.
After rinsing, apply some conditioner in one hand and rub palms together to evenly distribute. Apply conditioner from the middle of the hair shaft down to ends. Avoid the scalp unless scalp is dry. Comb conditioner through hair to distribute product evenly. Leave conditioner on hair for a few seconds to help smooth the cuticle. Rinse thoroughly.
Medicated shampoos

Medicated shampoos may contain salicylic acid to loosen flakes of skin, and selenium sulfide, zinc pyrithione, ketoconazole or ciclopirox to reduce the numbers of Malassezia yeasts on the scalp. They are very helpful in dandruff and seborrhoeic dermatitis. They may also help treat scalp psoriasis and atopic dermatitis, but often shampoos containg coal tar are more useful in these conditions.
Medicated shampoos need to be left on for longer than normal shampoos. Ideally, make the hair wet 10 minutes before your shower/bath. Apply medicated shamoo as above. and massage gently into the scalp. Leave for 10 minutes and rinse off well.
You may still use a conditioner afterwards.
Skin problems due to shampoos

Shampoos can irritate and cause scalp problems. These are rare with modern products made by reputable manufacturers if they have been designed for sensitive skin and are used appropriately. Overwashing may have the following effects:
  • The pH of the skin surface may change: look for pH-balanced shampoos.
  • The number and type of bacteria and yeasts on the skin surface may change, resulting in dandruff or seborrhoeic dermatitis.
  • The surface oil film (sebum) is removed, allowing greater water loss through the epidermis to the skin surface, from where it evaporates.
  • The de-fatted skin may become excessively dry.
  • The surface horny cells may be loosened, disturbing barrier function and allowing more water loss. The skin becomes more permeable to chemicals such as hair dye and perming solution.
  • Dry skin is more prone to infection with Staphylococcus aureus, resulting in impetigo.
  • Irritant contact dermatitis (red, dry, chafed skin) may develop. This may be provoked by the dry skin itself, or by a particular surfactant in the shampoo. Sodium lauryl sulphate is more irritating than sodium laureth sulphate for example.
  • Stinging, especially if dermatitis is already present.
  • Contact urticaria (immediate redness, itching and swelling) may arise due to a fragrance or preservative.
  • Allergic contact dermatitis (a delayed but persistent reaction) may develop to a component of the shampoo. Because they are rinsed off, true contact allergy to shampoo is rare. However it may result from:
  • Protein contact dermatitis, a rare mixture of contact urticaria and allergic dermatitis, due to a protein component such as peanut or oatmeal.
Hypoallergenic products

The manufacturers of hypoallergenic shampoos have tried to avoid using substances that are likely to cause contact allergy. Their products are often "fragrance-free" (low levels of masking fragrances are permitted), "mild" and "non-irritating". If you have oily skin (seborrhoea), choose shampoos designed for your skin type.
However, even hypoallergenic products may still be irritating to those with very sensitive skin, and they may still rarely cause contact allergy.
Labelling in the USA

For the US, the FDA states: "If a cosmetic claim is made on the label of a "true" soap or cleanser, such as moisturizing or deodorizing, the product must meet all FDA requirements for a cosmetic, and the label must list all ingredients. If a drug claim is made on a cleanser or soap, such as antibacterial, antiperspirant, or anti acne, the product is a drug, and the label must list all active ingredients, as is required for all drug products."
There are no specific labelling requirements in New Zealand.

tsmith said:
After I clarify my hair what do I do next? Do I shampoo my hair with another shampoo, then deep condition? I ask this question because I clarified my hair once before and when I applied the shampoo (ellucence clarifying shampoo) it seemed liked the shampoo kinda stucked to my hair. I mean it washed out easy but it just felt different from regular shampooing. I did not buy the moisture balancing conditioner because I purchased the shampoo last year when I first joined the site and have never used it until recently. (like I stated before I purchased everything when I first joined and didn't know how to use it) Please, Please help me ladies..:confused: I recently ordered the moisture balancing conditioner but in the mean time what do I use with clarifying shampoo?

Thanks,
Tanya

After I shampoo with a clarifier, I always shampoo with my regualr shampoo to add balance, and then condition. If I don't, my hair would be super dry and brittle.

i clarify with CON clarifying poo
then I shampoo with CON dry & brittle poo to regain the moisture
then I cond with Humecto or elucence mb

clarifying poos (and neutralizing poos) may strip the hair because the strong sulfate helps clean the shaft of chemicals and debris, but dont help maintain the moisture.

Thanks Ladies,

I thought that I needed to shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo because the first time I clarified my hair felt kinda funny. The shampoo kind of clung to my hair but this time I will clarify, shampoo with CON, and then deep condition.

Thanks again ladies,

Love yall:)

no problem...

i dont think my hair really agrees w/ elucence shampoo either... it kinda stuck to my head as well.

but the elucence conditioner is the bomb!

tsmith said:
Thanks Ladies,

I thought that I needed to shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo because the first time I clarified my hair felt kinda funny. The shampoo kind of clung to my hair but this time I will clarify, shampoo with CON, and then deep condition.

Thanks again ladies,

Love yall:)

SOUNDS LIKE THAT WILL WORK WELL FOR YOU.

Back