Chinese Quote: Your Opinion

andreab

I heard this quote today from a chinese friend. She said that mothers tell their daughters this.

"you marry the man that loves you not necessarily the one you love."

My opinion- I will be back to post mine.

I don't agree with that...:nono:

Following that advice lead me to divorce.:look:

When I think about love I think about the Song of Solomon. I believe in Boo loving me and me loving him....:2inlove:. Anything less than that is unaccepatble.

I think it's a quote that reflects the reality in which we live in nowadays, but it certainly does not reflect my personal opinion on marriage and love.

Last edited:
I think it's just another twist on what women(especially black women) are constantly being told:Lower Your Standards.

I think it's just another twist on what women(especially black women) are constantly being told:Lower Your Standards.

How is marrying somebody who loves you lowering standards?

Ohhh... is it the other half of the point: "not necessarily the one you love"? Well, it says "not necessarily", which could indicate that love exists but not on the same level or the same kind?

If a man TRULY loves a woman, he will treat her like he treats himself.... I'm pulling from my Christian-based perspective here....

How is marrying somebody who loves you lowering standards?

Ohhh... is it the other half of the point: "not necessarily the one you love"? Well, it says "not necessarily", which could indicate that love exists but not on the same level or the same kind?

If a man TRULY loves a woman, he will treat her like he treats himself.... I'm pulling from my Christian-based perspective here....

Yes, I was referring to the other half about the woman not necessarily loving him.

I heard this quote today from a chinese friend. She said that mothers tell their daughters this.

"you marry the man that loves you not necessarily the one you love."

My opinion- I will be back to post mine.

Nope. This doesn't sound so good. I prefer "Don't marry someone that you can live with, marry someone that you can't live without." It worked for me and he loves me to boot:yawn:.

This has already been posted on this thread not too long ago. I say that because it's not solely a chinese proverb, it's been around for a while.

Also if we think about it, generations back people didn't normally marry for love they marry for status, safety, and because society dictates it.

I will not knock it because many in the eastern culture still abide by this. I think the new age marry for love is more of a modern concept as opposed to the traditional way if you want to call it such.

People still go through arrange marriages and they stay together longer than those that marry for love.

Hmmm I dont agree with the proverb, its all or nothing. Now what I do agree with: Someone posted a thread not too long ago about marrying a man that loves you more than you love him.

I do agree with this. No matter how you look at it, there is always one partner that is more in love than the other.

I have had past relationships where I was the giddy one, and it never worked out.

Last edited:
I don't agree with that...:nono:

Following that advice lead me to divorce.:look:

When I think about love I think about the Song of Solomon. I believe in Boo loving me and me loving him....:2inlove:. Anything less than that is unaccepatble.

I agree with everything she said. never been married though.

I understand and agree with the quote: to an extent.

The thing is, if you marry the person you love, that love is going to change over time. You are so crazy for him, his sexy muscles... ohh his big :censored: yadda yadda yadda. Since people tend to marry young (well, maybe not in this country anymore) your standards of what makes you crazy about him are not likely to be the things that create a happy home.

The man who loves YOU won't:
be out drinking with his buddies all the time
chase skirt
talk to you like you are the maid
ignore your kids
waste money on himself
etc

The man who loves you is going to create a stable, secure, comfy home for you and your kids. American women tend to believe this Hollywood hype that all you need is love. Well, when your kids are hungry and you can't pay your rent, love ain't gettin' it. When he's dogging you all over town, it doesn't matter how much you LOVE him. It matters how much he loves you.

What we THINK will make us happy is not always the best prescription for happiness.

HOWEVER
If you don't have some kind of love for the man, you will be bored and resent him after a while. I think it's best to marry a man you love, but not as much as he loves you.

Back