child-hood hair cabinet

amy1234

child-hood hair product cabinet

What products did you use as a child, when you're mother used to take care of it?

my story: I was shopping at wal-mart today and went to the hair care section, knowing the pj that I am I started to smell some of the products. I took a wiff of optimum's conditioner/shampoo and instantly, I remembered that this was the main product that I was using as a child. I am very tempted to try it again, maybe I will one day. So what were your staples as a child??

Last edited:
Girl, I used to have the Optimum too as a kid. I used the shampoo and conditioner, as well as the light pink grease. Other products include:

bergamot (green) hair grease
Tresemme shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in conditioner
Lutrasilk pink lotion
Isoplus oil sheen (dark blue and silver bottle)
optimum hair spray (light purple)

My mom used to use Ultra Sheen Bergamot. It was blue and came in a small roundish container. Other than that she sent me to the salon.

I remember stuff in my house like Dax, Dixie Peach, Royal Crown greases. Oh and Pert, Head & Shoulders and Breck shampoos. I cant remember the conditioners right now. But I know I would NEVER use any of that stuff in my hair today...lol

the only thing that i can clearly remember is the jar of Dax and the green comb that my mama used to do my hair... and then she would promptly pop me in the back of the head with that same comb if i acted up... gotta luv mama!!! :lachen:

The only thing I remember is Palmers Hair Food. I think that was the name. It came in a white jar and the grease was orange.

I know what ever was used wasn't very good for my hair, because my hair never got past shoulder length. :ohwell:

I remember my momma washing my hair with Pert shampoo. She press my hair with Ultra sheen bergamont hairgrease and sometimes, blue magic, or royal crown grease. Don't forget the sponge rollers for the bangs!

I know one thing, my mom had my hair down my back and it was thick, too! I always said once I was old enough to cut it, I would. Now, I regret it!

HoneyLemonDrop said:
I remember stuff in my house like Dax, Dixie Peach, Royal Crown greases. Oh and Pert, Head & Shoulders and Breck shampoos. I cant remember the conditioners right now. But I know I would NEVER use any of that stuff in my hair today...lol

Girl, you ain't lying! I would never use any of the childhood stuff on my head now! :lol:

PrettyBrownEyes said:
My mom used to use Ultra Sheen Bergamot. It was blue and came in a small roundish container. Other than that she sent me to the salon.
that was me too, my mother didn't know what to do with my hair, so she sent me to the salon mostly for touch-ups. my hair was down my back then too so I wouldn't be to worried about any ill efffects from using them again.

I remember ultra sheen grease (green, not the blue) and the black rubber comb. I don't remember getting my hair washed at all--just greased and styled (and a pop in the head with the comb by my granny is I moved around too much).

My great aunt was a stylist, so I would get my hair washed, conditioned, and pressed by her (and later relaxed when I was 12) every few weeks.

Old school care free curl shampoo in the red and yellow bottle. ( in ever had a jheri curl though) ,blue hair grease and tons of barrettes

That's it!

*Dee* said:
that was me too, my mother didn't know what to do with my hair, so she sent me to the salon mostly for touch-ups. my hair was down my back then too so I wouldn't be to worried about any ill efffects from using them again.

My mom got tired of pressing my head full of hair so I went to the salon every 2 weeks. My mom never wanted me to get a relaxer, I got one at age 12 though.

I also remember the ponytail holders with the balls on them. I never could get the hang of how to put them on snug enough but, my mom did. I remember her plaiting my hair after washing it and then pressing in it when it was dry, the rare times she pressed it herself.

99 cents Suave shampoo and conditioner and vaseline - that's it! I didn't get a relaxer until I was 18, the week right before I got ready to go to college. I would get it shampood and straightened every two weeks. Shampooed on Friday night, plaits in it to let it air dryall day on Saturday, then straightened right before church on Sunday morning. Finally started getting it blow dried straight as I got older and then lightly straightened. Can't believe that all that doggone heat in my hair and it still grew!!

Optimum really reminds me of when i was about 11. I'm glad they haven't changed the scent. I get strangers sniffing my hair! :lol:

Gurl...Believe it or not my mama combed my hair until I was in high school. It just so happen that one day when I was talking with the girls about hair, it seemed that everyone combed their own except for me. I went home and told my mama that I don't want her to comb my hair anymore. So my oldest sister started combing it. I have always been crippled when it comes to styling..

Anyway, sorry to get off topic, but my mama would use Vaseline, Blue Magic, that tree grease(it smelled really good). She would wash my hair with zest soap or whatever bath soap we had. No conditioner what so ever! My hair was about armpit to bra strap length too!

whoa zest soap!! well whatever tickles your fancy :eyebrows2
I also remember when pantene first came out when I was a child, I think we tried to convert into using pantene but I think that she thought that it wouldn't be healthy for me to use a "white" hair care product,so I sticked with the optimum. and if I never discovered the hair boards I would probably still think this way tbo . :user:

All I remember is my hair was natural and I would get it pressed. It was the longest and thickest at that time. Then I started doing my hair...lol

MzTami, I am feeling you on the Zest soap b/c I can remember bending over the kitchen sink once before when we ran out of shampoo and my mother using Dawn dishwashing detergent in my hair. What a true testament to the fact that Dawn cuts the grease! My hair was squeaky clean!!!

blackbarbie said:
MzTami, I am feeling you on the Zest soap b/c I can remember bending over the kitchen sink once before when we ran out of shampoo and my mother using Dawn dishwashing detergent in my hair. What a true testament to the fact that Dawn cuts the grease! My hair was squeaky clean!!!

lol...Girl when we didn't have bubble bath..We went to the kitchen to get whatever made bubbles..Cheer, Tide, Gain, Dawn, Palmolive....

MzTami said:
lol...Girl when we didn't have bubble bath..We went to the kitchen to get whatever made bubbles..Cheer, Tide, Gain, Dawn, Palmolive....

You got me laughing so hard I wanted to try some soap powder liquid to take a bath but I was to scared. I used dish liquid I don't ever remember having bubble bath as a kid. My mom used dax, pink oil, that blue magic green grease, to press she used a red grease royal crown with the silver top, and hair food. I can't remember ever really conditioning as a kid. my hair was jet black and thick and in better condition that when I did it myself. My mom would press it and I stayed in ponytails, and cornrows. Sometimes she rolled it up it was never that long.

angellazette said:
All I remember is my hair was natural and I would get it pressed. It was the longest and thickest at that time. Then I started doing my hair...lol

:D :D :grin:

Yes, that was me too! My mom would use Long Aid (really thick grease!!); DAX; Blue Magic (Blue stuff); Royal Crown. All the stuff that I wouldn't use today!! I didn't get a relaxer until I graduated from high school and I had bra strap hair. Then I started doing my hair too!! Now, I'm trying to correct all the mistakes!

Our moms already knew that not using the hair dryer/blow dryer, and pressing hair very lightly 1x/week along with minimum handling would result in healthy beautiful hair!

My mom use to wsh my hair with mane n tail shampoo and she used cholesterol condtioner. She used ultra sheen grease on my hair as a kid.

Blue Magic hair grease (blue or green)
Optimum Care (Shampoo & Condish)
Mayo
Infusium 23 mixed w/Water in a BIG spray bottle
Pink Oil Moisturizer
Nexxus Humectress
Isoplus Oil Sheen (blue and silver bottle)

*My mom would also take me and Cinnabuns to a family hair stylist or to the beauty college* :yep:

cream of nature and Cholesterol. I would go the salon every 3 months for a touch up( I was relaxed at 9). Blue bergamot grease or sulfur 8. pony tails and plaits everyday, except for the rare occasion when my Mom would curl my pony tail.

Cream of Nature shampoo
QH Cholesterol
Ultrasheen (blue) grease
Infusium 23 (before they changed the formula)

My mom relaxed my hair at home. Drying would be a rollerset and she would make me sit under that hot *** drier. LOL

cece22 said:
You got me laughing so hard I wanted to try some soap powder liquid to take a bath but I was to scared. I used dish liquid I don't ever remember having bubble bath as a kid. My mom used dax, pink oil, that blue magic green grease, to press she used a red grease royal crown with the silver top, and hair food. I can't remember ever really conditioning as a kid. my hair was jet black and thick and in better condition that when I did it myself. My mom would press it and I stayed in ponytails, and cornrows. Sometimes she rolled it up it was never that long.

Gurl..Don't be scurred to use Cheer, Tide, Gain..You be clean and come out smelling just like your laundry. :lachen:

VITA D hair oil (navy blue jar with the white writing)
BALSAM Conditioner (she got it at the health food/vitamin stores)
Isoplus Oil Sheen
VIdal Sassoon Blow Styling Lotion

Back