Chew Vitamins Before Swallowing?

Yes. Otherwise, you pass nearly the entire pill out your gut undigested.

However, when I'm taking them regularly, I only take them 2-3x a week (when chewing). Considering some of these multi-vitamins and other supplements sometimes have as much as 500% of your daily needs in certain vits/mins, it's really easy to make yourself toxic and OD. This usually doesnt happen when you swallow whole because it passes through, mostly untouched--which is the point in them making them so strong since most doesnt absorb anyway.

So chew them, but maybe not take them everyday.

Wow I never knew to do this. I'm assuming this would only apply to pills without that casing?

I think it would be hard to do this though because the multi vitamin I take is not the best tasting. :nono:

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

I have an aversion to swallowing pills. I think gummies are the way to go! I always felt that I didn't need them everyday because I felt good for several days afterward. You just confirmed what I was feeling. Thank you!

Do you chew up your vitamins before swallowing them in order to increase absorption?

I would say it really depends. Many b-complex vitamins are time released so it absorbs slower in your system if you chew those then you will not get the maximum benefit. Other vitamins are coated because they can be destroyed by stomach acid. Also if you take a prescription drug taking crushed or chewed vitamins can cause some interactions. I would be sure to read the label and decide on a case by case basis. Personally I use a liquid vitamin for me it works better.

HTH

I swollow them whole. My multi-vitamin tastes minging. I can feel it and taste it breaking up if I put it in my mouth when it takes a few seconds longer to get to some water so if my saliva can help break it down then I imagine my stomach acid does an even better job.

I might try this when I start my vitamins. But I think I will use a pill crusher and add to a spoonful of applesauce or just put the powder in my mouth and down it with some juice. I know I won't make it if I chew.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I dont chew unless its in the instructions. I know for sure my vits easily break down because Ive got them wet before and it turned into mush in no time flat. The gel ones also break down easly when they get wet with just water.

stomach acid is pretty strong so Im sure it deals well with my vits :yep:

I get the gel ones, because there is no way I'm chewing up those vits...they taste rancid. :nono: I also get capsules, because they're usually easier to swallow than pills.

Your stomach has a very low pH. I'm sure that of stomach acid is capable of burning holes in a stomach (ulcers) then it can easily degrade a little pill

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I dont chew unless its in the instructions. I know for sure my vits easily break down because Ive got them wet before and it turned into mush in no time flat. The gel ones also break down easly when they get wet with just water.

stomach acid is pretty strong so Im sure it deals well with my vits :yep:

Ditto! What's more, I can tell a difference in how I feel when I don't take my vitamins so I'm sure I don't need to chew my vitamins before I swallow.

And another thing, some vitamins are time-released and chewing them may mean they end up in your pee/poop so quickly instead of lingering in your system for your blood to absorb them and transport them.

Yep, if the directions don't say chew, then I swallow.

If you don't chew, is there anything that you to increase the product's absorption (other than eating it with a meal)?

If you don't chew, is there anything that you to increase the product's absorption (other than eating it with a meal)?

do you think you have a problem (in general) with absorption of nutrients ?
Im sure once everything is working properly and you take the vits with a meal or liquid as instructed then they will be absorbed properly

in terms of aiding/hindering absorption I think you're not to mix calcium and iron as taking them together will cause them to bind and result in the poor absorption of the calcium. calcium aids in the absorption of Vit D and should be taken together (and often sold as one formulation)

I follow the directions. My teeth aren't that strong to be biting through horse pills.
tumblr_maksb7g7yt1r8jvb3o2_500.gif

I agree not to chew time release! Chewing would mess that up and flood your system.

I take an herbal prenatal (not pregnant though) and chew it. Tastes like a mouth of grass but now like those one a days. Ew.

Your Cheeziness said:
I follow the directions. My teeth aren't that strong to be biting through horse pills.

I just saw the sweet brown video for the first time today, Lmao

Back