Chelating Shampoos

TexturedTresses

What chelating shampoos do you use? Also, is it better to use a chelating shampoo or a clarifying shampoo. What is the difference?

What chelating shampoos do you use? I have only used one, ORS creamy aloe, and it is no joke. I found it to be too drying to my strands. So after the first use I returned it to the store. Also, is it better to use a chelating shampoo or a clarifying shampoo. What is the difference?

IIRC, a chelating shampoo removes mineral deposits, calcuim buildup, etc... all the way into the cortex of the hair(or something like that) and a clarifying shampoo does not go as deep into the hair shaft. hths

I clarify maybe once a month or every other week but I do not use a chelating shampoo b/c I found the ORS to be too drying to my natural strands.

^^^I noticed the girl said that in the post you had above. Did a DC after help any?

Also, is there a homemade chelating? Like the baking soda clarify. And what are some good chelating shampoos? Is there a list floating around somewhere?

Chelating poos are for lifting dulling, mineral deposits (and random ions) that have attached to your hair. (Mainly in hard water situations.) Some folks use them prior to a chemical service to help free up the cuticle and get "better" relaxer results. You can also use them after a relaxer (especially if your relaxer is no-lye) to help remove some of the deposits those relaxers leave behind. Some swimmer's shampoos are also chelating formulas, too. The thing with these poos is that they can dry your hair out something fierce, so I'd limit the use of these pretty much like you'd limit the use of clarifying poos.

Clarifying shampoos are mainly for lifting everday products and other buildup from the strands. Baking soda is a clarifer. Some clarifying shampoos contain chelating ingredients (ex. EDTA), but those ingredients are typically used in those other shampoo formulas as preservatives and/or pH balancers. (Look for a chelating shampoo that specifically says that it is formulated to either chelate or lift mineral deposits-- because ingredients can throw you off).

There was a thread around here with a list of chelating poos, but just of the top of my head:

Joico K-Pac Chelating Poo
Nexxus Aloe Rid
Kenra Clarifying (chelating formula and clarifier in one)
L'anza Swim & Sun Daily Chelating Shampoo
Mizani Phormula 7 Neutralizing and Chelating Shampoo

Mizani Phormula 7. That shampoo leaves my hair moistruzed like no others; I wonder if it really does the chelating job. I think chelating should leave hair stripped :lachen:

Last edited:
I use Kenra Chelating Shampoo. I don't find it to be overly drying.

-A

This is the only one I've actually used. And its definitely not that drying.

Mizani Phormula 7. That shampoo leaves my hair moistruzed like no others; I wonder if it really does the chelating job. I think chelating should leave hair strepped

:lachen: And that's exactly how I feel about the Kenra. It's almost too soft. I don't even use it for clarifying or chelating anymore, it was like having 2 moisturizing shampoos from their line. I had to go back to my Pantene Purity for REAL clarifying. That stuff STRIPS you bare.:lachen:

thanks for all of the responses. i'm going to go to the beauty supply store and pick one up. But can you chelating shampoos to clarify? I know that is a silly question. Is chelating a deeper version of clarifying or do they remove different things.

thanks for all of the responses. i'm going to go to the beauty supply store and pick one up. But can you chelating shampoos to clarify? I know that is a silly question. Is chelating a deeper version of clarifying or do they remove different things.

I've heard some say that "all chelators are clarifiers but not all clarifiers are chelators." I know for a fact the second part is true! Chelating requires a specific formulation.

To the "all chelators are clarifiers" part- I'm not so sure. Clarifying is really not that hard to do. You don't even really need a clarifier per se... just a shampoo with strong sulfates. Most chelators will have those same sulfates there for clarifying as well, but whether they actually really clarify is up for debate. It really depends on the shampoo formula. :yep: Some chelators are made to handle both jobs, but like I mentioned earlier, Kenra was too gentle for clarifying for me, even though it was a chelating formula too. It was very strange. :lachen:

So on that one, I'm thinking chelating formulas do mostly binding to minerals and ions-- not so much the lifting of oils and other stuff from the cuticle that clarifiers are really go at. But that's just from my experience with a product that claimed to do both.

I use Quantum Clarifying and Chelating Shampoo. I purchase a big mongo bottle of it from Sally's and I'm sure it will last until the next millennium(sp). I rarely use it. Maybe once a month and 2 shampoo before relaxer time. I like it.:grin:

I used the Generic Nexxus Aloe Rid from Sally's. It seems gentler than regular shampoo. My hair never feels dry afterwards, but it feels very clean and I do notice my products work better afterward. I like the scent too.

Pureology purify
Pureology Purify Shampoo®

I love love this stuff...!!! Its sulfate free and is a chelating poo... its very stripping but I find that it makes your hair into a awesome canvas for DC, aphogee tx, ect. It gives my hair crazy shine and one of the few products thats I love as a permie and natural...

Thanks
Im trying to figure out if my Ion Hard Water Condish that claims to help eliminate iron, calcium, and other hard water deposites is just as good as using a chelating poo?

lamaria211

I say "Yes" and ION is a good product.

I used & loved a Clarifying Conditioner and I say it worked just as well as the Shampoo (actually better) IMO.

It got the job done. It was Avalon Organics Lemon, Shea & Babbasu Clarifying Conditioner

I guess my favorite Chelator (right now) is:

Elucence Acidifying/Chelating Shampoo

I also have:

Nexxus Aloe Rid
Redken Cleansing Creme *haven't tried*
Joico Chelating Shampoo

Bump! Anymore suggestions or new additions

I just bought Nairobi Detoxifying Shampoo. It says it gets rid of chlorine, minerals, medications, etc... I haven't used it yet but I hope it's good. I've tried others (IT & LY Chelating and Mizani Neutralizing/Chelating and a few other shampoos) and they all had polyquats or silicones in them. While they made my hair feel nice, I didn't want things depositing back on them when I was trying to take everything off. That's why I like this Nairobi one - it doesn't have any silicones or anything in it. They don't call it chelating though, just detoxifying.

Back