Check Your Vitamins

Lorraine

I just wanted to share what some of you ladies may already know. I discovered that the new vitamins I purchased from Vitamin Shoppe contain d-biotin NOT biotin. A 'd' or 'l' prefix indicates that your vitamins are synthetic and you're likely only getting half the results or performance of the real supplement. So before I go back to GNC to get NourishHair which contains Biotin I wanted to let you ladies know what I discovered.

Ok, I don't know about B complexes, biotin and others, but D and L are suffixes that refer to the 3D configuration of the molecule. It isn't a good indication of whether the vitamin/ amino acid is synthetic, as they do have these conformations naturally in nature, but some are more common than others. For ex, glucose and other sugars are usually found in D-form in nature.

According to my professor, the human body only utilizes L-amino acids. If you buy amino acids, make sure they are L-cysteine, etc. or they won't be used.

I hope what i'm saying makes sense
smile.gif

Do you think the vitamins will still be effective? I would prefer to use these up as I JUST bought them.

Please advise.

TIA

I'll do a search on D-biotin but off hand I don't know if one or the other is preferred by the body. Maybe someone else here takes biotin and can add more insight. I'm thinking about adding it back into my vitamin regimen myself.

On NPR the other day, the show with the doctor on it, he said that most of the supplements on the market do not have in them what they say they do. Consumer reports did research on them. Like glucosamine did not contain glucosamine. The only supplement that was found to have in it what it claimed was fish oil. So be very careful of what you're purchasing and putting in your bodies.

My 10mg. Biotin caused my face to break out with 3 horrible traffic stopping, throbbing keloid looking ZITS! Something ain't right about that Biotin! Well, I am putting them in my shampoos, because I am not playing roulette with my skin. MSM,---headaches....in to my shampoo and conditiioners!...Now I am only taking pantothenic acid for hair and skin. The vitamins have to work with me and obviously they are not at this time. I did not have this problem with my previous ones from Thornton Research. But anyway, I have decided that I am not tying up my cashflow with Vitamins etc. What I have been doing is upping my diet to eating more greens, cornbread, buttermilk, eggs, fruit, and drinkin lots of water and exercise. My multivitamin nearly knocks me out it is so potent, so that I will think about taking every other day. Bonjour.

a L- refers to a synthetic compounds and a D- refers to one's that occur in nature. it has to do with some chemistry...in some cases one is more potent that the other or one simply gives a different effect because they fit different with the receptors in the body... D and L molecules are exactly the same but different in the arrangement of the atoms on one carbon and that is what makes all the difference.

[ QUOTE ]
My 10mg. Biotin caused my face to break out with 3 horrible traffic stopping, throbbing keloid looking ZITS!

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif

Not laughing at you...but this sentence is hilarious.

Thanks for this thread LorraineG. I've already learned a lot. I'm wondering if the GMP stamp on the bottle means the supplement is the real thing. I know it's supposed to mean something about the quality. Did NPR mention that GodMadeMePretty?
Also, I think I'll try putting my biotin and MSM (since I haven't taken them in a long time)in my conditioners and see how that works, as Mahalialee4 is doing.

Maybe you can try the biotin in your shampoo or conditioner instead, ANaturalBrotha.

Now I am more confused! LOL. Will these vitamins even work? They contain biotin and MSM. What is everyone taking? I am taking MegaHair.
sign02.gif

Back