Check out this lady's method of cutting SPLIT ENDS???

tiffanyoneal

For some reason I woke up thinking about split ends. I remember reading Cathy House's book and recalled her saying something about split ends split outwards and not up. I am not sure if this is correct but I tried to do a search for it on the net and read this interesting post on yahoo answers by some beautician. Tell me what ya'll think:

"i'm a hairdresser by trade, the best thing you can do without cutting the length of your hair is to take small sections of your hair and twist in one direction till it looks like a rope. The split ends should spike out of hair rope, take some scissors and trim those dead ends off! Do as often as needed just remember to only cut the split bits off. Yep your right if you dont cut them it will travell higher up the hair shaft, thats why its starting to go frizzy. Try putting conditioner all over your hair (loadz of it) put cling film round your head and leave on for half an hour. Do as often as needed and you should start to have beautifull healthy hair in no time. Dont forget always use a heat protecting spray on your hair before blowdrying and straightening. Try GHD Styling Spray its FAB! GOOD LUCK"

I think I am liking the twisting hair like a rope method.:perplexed But what do ya'll think?

and in case some of you might want to see the rest of the article here is the link: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070622120238AAiqrpM&show=7

ETA: So if that is true...then when my stylist twists or braids my hair and clips those stray ends she is actually helping me for once. :)

Last edited:
I just relaxed today and did this method combined with the split end advice from Sistaslick's article, I was very successful with my cut/trim.

I wasn't going to trim my hair because of the stuff that Cathy Howse writes about but after reading several articles I have decided that raggedy ends and uneven hair aint cute:nono:

Plus the folks that give this advice have hair that is longer and healthier than Cathy Howse's... obviously this no trimming ends thing isn't for everyone.

It has been about a year and a half since my last cut. I am proud of how great my hair looks and I don't miss the 3-4 inches of scraggly ends:grin:

My hair is so healthy and full and even now. It is still long enough for my favorite protective style (French Roll)

I think that roping is a great idea as well. I'm going to have to try that when I take thesse braids out. Thanks!!:2cool:

I think it's a great method if you have a lot of split ends. But be careful because even if your hair is healthy but not the same length it will also spike out.

I just relaxed today and did this method combined with the split end advice from Sistaslick's article, I was very successful with my cut/trim.

I wasn't going to trim my hair because of the stuff that Cathy Howse writes about but after reading several articles I have decided that raggedy ends and uneven hair aint cute:nono:

Plus the folks that give this advice have hair that is longer and healthier than Cathy Howse's... obviously this no trimming ends thing isn't for everyone.

It has been about a year and a half since my last cut. I am proud of how great my hair looks and I don't miss the 3-4 inches of scraggly ends:grin:

My hair is so healthy and full and even now. It is still long enough for my favorite protective style (French Roll)

I'm really glad for you, Trimbride! :yep: I have never heard of this trimming method; however, today I had about 2 inches of hair cut off, not only due to bad ends, but also to have my hair be even all around. I am so glad that my stylist did this. I do want my hair to be as long as possible but I want it to be HEALTHY, and for the past couple of months I have been wondering why my hair doesn't seem to hold moisture the way it should. It was probably because of those ends. I think that this woman is on to something. Good looking out, Tiffany (and funny that you had a dream about split ends!). :)

This sounds like a good technique but this method may not work on my layered hair. does anyone have any ideas on how i can trim layers w/o hacking my head up?:huh:

A few years when I went to get my hair twisted. A white lady walked in with bra-strap length thick blond hair and asked if my hairdresser would trim her hair. This is exactly how my hairdresser did it. She firstly trimmed the ends and then used this method to trim any split ends

I think it's a great method if you have a lot of split ends. But be careful because even if your hair is healthy but not the same length it will also spike out.

I agree. This is why I think that the search and destroy method is more effective than cutting blindly.

I dont think Cathy advocates never trimming, I think its over trimming more than neccessary. Plus she said if your ends are in badass shape you might aswell cut them off.

Back