Cheap Flat Iron = SEDU RESULTS!!!

texasqt

:grin:
I've been wanting a 1 in. Sedu for absolutely no specific reason other than to back up my 1.5 Sedu :drunk: and then I got to thinking about how much of a difference (if any) a smaller flat iron would make. So while I was in Wally World last night I ventured to the cosmetics section and started reading the different flat irons they had available. I selected the Vidal Sassoon Answer Flat Iron for Normal hair with intentions on testing it out to see if there was a major difference in sizes and I'M IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I washed and DC'd last night and used this flat iron and the results were just about the same as my Sedu. The solid ceramic plates are black and sleek just like the Sedu and the plates aren't coated. I really can't say anything bad about this $25 flat iron. It performed like a pro!
Sorry I don't have any pics but here's the product info...

1-inch Solid Ceramic Plate Straightener for Normal Hair
They also have others specifically for fine hair and for coarse hair.
2158321.jpg

Designed specifically for normal hair. Solid ceramic plates conduct the maximum heat level to seal in hair’s natural oils and maintain smooth, shiny, healthy-looking styles.

Solid Ceramic Plates
Salon Performance
30-second Fast Heat-up
Multiple Heat Settings
Instant Heat Recovery
Auto Shut-off Turns Off It shut off on me and I just knew it was broken :lachen:
Swivel Cord

They have several products based on whether you have fine, normal, or coarse hair. From blowdryers, brushes, curling irons, etc.
Here's the website:
http://www.vsanswers.com/

I'm very impressed to say the least. Just thought I'd share!
I'll add pics when I flat iron for Christmas!

Last edited:
Wow! Interesting. Solid Ceramic plates. That sounds like something folks should start testing out and post the results here so I can decide whether or not to take the plunge. Preferably 4a/4b non dense, fine haired nappies...y'all really should be one of the first to test this out.

Yes, please do it because I'm afraid to be the first nappy to go. lol:lachen:

I wonder why more people aren't interested in this flat iron. Have you all found any bad reviews on this product?

I am not surprised. Vidal Sassoon has some good stuff.
I remember back in the day before most of us could buy
salon products without a license, we had plenty of Vidal
Sassoon products. Glad you found something. Thanks for
sharing.

I pulled these reviews from makeupalley...

lippies5.gif
pretiiandroid on 11/7/2008 12:26:00 PM more reviews by pretiiandroid
Age: 19-24 Skin Type: Sensitive Skin Tone: Olive Hair Color: Black Eye Color: Brown
Seriously, the best straightener you can buy at a drugstore for $25! I'm half black half white so I have pretty frizzy/coarse hair. I had a Sedu that cost $130 and broke so I was looking for a new flat-iron and saw this at the store. I was a bit unsure about it since no drugstore flat-iron has ever worked for me but this one blew my mind. It IS the Sedu only a 100 dollars less. It gets just as hot, stays hot, has the same exact nice smooth plates, and doesn't pull my hair. It is a bit heavy but not the worst. I mean, for $25 bucks and it works as good as it does, I can't complain. I love it! I would definitely recommend this to anybody with coarse hair that doesn't want to spend hundreds on a CHI, Sedu, or Solia. Since this one worked so well on coarse hair the other ones probably work excellently on their specified hair-types as well. Will definitely buy again if it ever breaks.

1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful to you?

lippies5.gif
interruptedx on 10/18/2008 4:34:00 AM more reviews by interruptedx
Age: 19-24 Skin Type: Combination Skin Tone: Medium Hair Color: Blond Eye Color: Green
i love this flat iron. it is very cheap and works so well. it gets very hot and unlike most drug-store flat irons it actually stays hot. it works just as well, if not better than my CHI. i really am happy i purchased it.

lippies5.gif
*TOP REVIEWER* dragonballz on 8/13/2008 12:37:00 AM more reviews by dragonballz
Age: 25-29 Skin Type: Other Skin Tone: Other Hair Color: Other Eye Color: Other
This straightener may seem chintzy to the uninformed naysayers but it is really a bargain b/c it contains salon-grade features. It has a ceramic heating element (not to be confused with plates) and its plates are solid ceramic, not just coated with ceramic. The one for coarse hair is the only version that has both of these features, whereas the normal hair version only has solid ceramic plates/no ceramic heater and the fine hair one has no ceramic heater/no solid plates. Back to the coarse hair one-it gets hot really fast and the temperature is adjustable up to 450 degrees. The only drawback is that if you have fine/regular hair, you need to press/squeeze the handle somewhat firmly to give you the straightest hair. This is the best value in a straightener I have ever seen.

I am sooo excited! Thanks Texasqt!

I want the one for coarse hair! I've been thinking about something smaller than my Solia and I think this is it Thanks a bunch!!!

I pulled these reviews from makeupalley...

lippies5.gif
pretiiandroid on 11/7/2008 12:26:00 PM more reviews by pretiiandroid
Age: 19-24 Skin Type: Sensitive Skin Tone: Olive Hair Color: Black Eye Color: Brown
Seriously, the best straightener you can buy at a drugstore for $25! I'm half black half white so I have pretty frizzy/coarse hair. I had a Sedu that cost $130 and broke so I was looking for a new flat-iron and saw this at the store. I was a bit unsure about it since no drugstore flat-iron has ever worked for me but this one blew my mind. It IS the Sedu only a 100 dollars less. It gets just as hot, stays hot, has the same exact nice smooth plates, and doesn't pull my hair. It is a bit heavy but not the worst. I mean, for $25 bucks and it works as good as it does, I can't complain. I love it! I would definitely recommend this to anybody with coarse hair that doesn't want to spend hundreds on a CHI, Sedu, or Solia. Since this one worked so well on coarse hair the other ones probably work excellently on their specified hair-types as well. Will definitely buy again if it ever breaks.

lippies5.gif
interruptedx on 10/18/2008 4:34:00 AM more reviews by interruptedx
Age: 19-24 Skin Type: Combination Skin Tone: Medium Hair Color: Blond Eye Color: Green
i love this flat iron. it is very cheap and works so well. it gets very hot and unlike most drug-store flat irons it actually stays hot. it works just as well, if not better than my CHI. i really am happy i purchased it.

lippies5.gif
*TOP REVIEWER* dragonballz on 8/13/2008 12:37:00 AM more reviews by dragonballz
Age: 25-29 Skin Type: Other Skin Tone: Other Hair Color: Other Eye Color: Other
This straightener may seem chintzy to the uninformed naysayers but it is really a bargain b/c it contains salon-grade features. It has a ceramic heating element (not to be confused with plates) and its plates are solid ceramic, not just coated with ceramic. The one for coarse hair is the only version that has both of these features, whereas the normal hair version only has solid ceramic plates/no ceramic heater and the fine hair one has no ceramic heater/no solid plates. Back to the coarse hair one-it gets hot really fast and the temperature is adjustable up to 450 degrees. The only drawback is that if you have fine/regular hair, you need to press/squeeze the handle somewhat firmly to give you the straightest hair. This is the best value in a straightener I have ever seen.

I am sooo excited! Thanks Texasqt!

I TOLD Y'ALL!!! :grin:

Thanks! I may get this, I've been looking at the Conair Infiniti(I think that's the name) for awhile now but this is a much cheaper alternative.

I was looking at the FHI but I might give this a try first. I have a walmart not far from me and if I dont like it I can always take it back. Thanks!

i dont really need a flat iron as i dont want my hair straight but i am realy craving for this one! it seems right up my buget range too. i want the one for coarse hair. my 2 inch(large) andis has a gap in the side that snags my hair:sad:(defective) but its too old to return.i was looking for something to replace it. i wil keep this in mind next time i straighten.:yep:

Ooo weee!! I Love me some Wally-world, but I'm gonna check the BX on base first to see if they have it cheaper there...I likes to save whenever feasible. This is so tempting especially since I feel I am in need of an upgrade from my Revlon-I was looking into buying the Izunami One Inch Styler cause it seemed like a good investment but I would rather throw away 25 bucks vs 200 bucks.....nahmean? *I wish I had seen this when my hubby decided to go on a shopping spree Wed at Wal-Mart, dang!!!

Thanx soooo much for this post! I saw this iron at Kroger like 2 weeks ago( actually only the normal and fine hair ones... didn't see the course hair one :0/ ) . I was a little skeptical and was looking forward to getting either an h2pro or fhi. The price and quality on this baby seems quite fair. I'm going to get it for xmas and give you ladies a review.

Ok so I went to walmart and got the "Coarse" version of this flat iron...

Before...
fa9.jpg

After...
b96.jpg

Only gripe...left my hair smelling burnt and snagged it a bit...soooooo I think if I have to use thiss as a last resort I will...otherwise I'll stick with my Conair Infiniti Nano Steam Straightener until my Sedu comes...​

Bumping to see if anyone else used theirs. I'll be using mine again on Wednesday and posting pics then. I have the normal one and I used it on the medium setting and everything was just fine. It got really hot but I don't recall a burnt smell. I vaguely remember the "new" smell coming from the iron and not my hair.

I recommend starting with the normal one and a low heat setting or if you picked the coarse one, set it on low first and see how that works. I have a majority of normal/medium strands mixed with some fine strands - but I have a lot of 'em which makes my hair appear thick (not coarse). I'm very cautious with heat since I burned my hair out this year using a Chi flat iron without the heat setting because of my strands not being able to stand the heat. :nono:

Here's a brief article about hair texture from Hairfinder.com that may help when considering your hair texture.

Hair texture is the measure of the circumference of the hair strand itself. Professionals classify the texture of hair as being "coarse", "fine", or "medium". Coarse hair has the largest circumference, and fine hair has the smallest. Medium texture indicates a middle-range of the size of the hair shaft, it's considered normal and poses no special considerations regarding processing and chemical services. Coarse hair is stronger, for obvious reasons - it has more substance. However, coarse hair can also be harder to process, and can be resistant to haircoloring services, perming, and straightening. Fine hair, conversely, is often very easy to process, and can be over-processed easily and is susceptible to damage from chemical services.

Hair texture varies from individual to individual, and can be different in separate areas of the same head. You may have coarse hair on the top of the head and fine hair at the nape of the neck. Race and ethnicity are irrelevant in determining hair texture, as coarse, medium and fine hair can be found among all racial and ethnic groups.

I figured my hair is normal because I've never had any issues with processing a relaxer or a color within the timing guidelines and I have damaged my hair/overprocessed more often than being underprocessed.

Last edited:
I've finally got around to posting my pics from when I did my hair with the VS for Christmas. I highly recommend getting a SEDU! That is and will probably always be my first love :love:! I purchased the VS so I could check out the size of a 1 inch iron since my Sedu is a 1.5. It's a great iron to start with if you don't want to make the Sedu investment just yet. The only complaint that I have about it is that it cuts off after an hour and it won't come back on until the plates are cool. I guess to some degree its protecting your hair but after an hour I only have half of my head done.

Does anyone else have an update?

Sorry the pics are so large.

1st Pic: Wet hair ready for blowdrying. I have about an inch of unstretched new growth.
DSC04647-vi.jpg

2nd Pic: After blowdrying with PinkSkates' Tension Method
DSC04687-vi.jpg

3rd Pic: After flatironing
DSC04731-vi.jpg

The pic in my siggy was taken at the same time.

Last edited:
I've finally got around to posting my pics from when I did my hair with the VS for Christmas. I highly recommend getting a SEDU! That is and will probably always be my first love :love:! I purchased the VS so I could check out the size of a 1 inch iron since my Sedu is a 1.5. It's a great iron to start with if you don't want to make the Sedu investment just yet. The only complaint that I have about it is that it cuts off after an hour and it won't come back on until the plates are cool. I guess to some degree its protecting your hair but after an hour I only have half of my head done.

Does anyone else have an update?

Sorry the pics are so large.

1st Pic: Wet hair ready for blowdrying. I have about an inch of unstretched new growth.
DSC04647-vi.jpg

2nd Pic: After blowdrying with PinkSkates' Tension Method
DSC04687-vi.jpg

3rd Pic: After flatironing
DSC04731-vi.jpg

The pic in my siggy was taken at the same time.

Your hair looks beautiful :grin:

Back