Challenged Chicks

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
This is the thread for those of us who aren't hair experts and have certain challenges with our hair.

Me? I can't style it all that well, I get confused on which condishes are protein vs moisture (I now use a sharpie to mark it down on the bottle) and I dream my hair is longer than it really is.

What is your hair challenge right now?

I need to figure out how to deal with the fact that my hair doesn't hold or maintain a style overnight. It looks great today but no amount of preventative styling will allow me to wake up and just fluff it and go. Curls disappear and twist outs go puffy/flat.

OMG! I have the exact same problem... whether I twist out, braid out, "celie plait", flat twist or whatever my styles DO NOT last. I think it's me... though I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I get a couple to a few days out of 2 strand twist but I have NEVER gotten a week out of a hair style. The most I've been able to do it to convert a braid or twist out into something else.

Do you have soft hair? My hair is very very naturally soft which makes me wonder if I need to use more protein (in balance of course) to give it more stiffness.

Curious to see what others have to say about that.

Another style challenged chick checking in! I've tried 2 strand twists and am not sure i'm doing that correctly....i never learned how to plait, to french or any of the other fancy braiding techniques. I need HELP!!

you will be happy to know the 2 strand twists are simple to master. Plaits are bit more difficult.

I can't get flat twists....just yet. Let me find the YT video that shows how to do 2-strand twists tho.

For styling, I get an EPIC FAIL.

I don't even do my own 2-strand twists, because I don't have the patience and I'm sure it won't turn out right, LOL, so I just pay someone to do them

I tried to do a twist out after them..um, it turned into a big 'fro :lachen:

Do you have soft hair? My hair is very very naturally soft which makes me wonder if I need to use more protein (in balance of course) to give it more stiffness.

Curious to see what others have to say about that.

No, my hair isn't soft.. it's 4a/b and kind of course definitely not fine. I did give myself a protein treatment.. I feel like it helped my hair by strengthening but didn't help my styles last at all.. ... ....

For styling, I get an EPIC FAIL.

I don't even do my own 2-strand twists, because I don't have the patience and I'm sure it won't turn out right, LOL, so I just pay someone to do them

I tried to do a twist out after them..um, it turned into a big 'fro :lachen:

Try spraying some sort of setting lotion or cream on them and let dry before untwisting. U might get a longer lasting twist out. You can also try curling the twists before untwisting, that way if it does fro out, it will have big curls which may kind of hide the fro-ness. hth.

lol i too mark bottles with sharpie

This is the thread for those of us who aren't hair experts and have certain challenges with our hair.

Me? I can't style it all that well, I get confused on which condishes are protein vs moisture (I now use a sharpie to mark it down on the bottle) and I dream my hair is longer than it really is.

What is your hair challenge right now?

I need to figure out how to deal with the fact that my hair doesn't hold or maintain a style overnight. It looks great today but no amount of preventative styling will allow me to wake up and just fluff it and go. Curls disappear and twist outs go puffy/flat.

OMG! I have the exact same problem... whether I twist out, braid out, "celie plait", flat twist or whatever my styles DO NOT last. I think it's me... though I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I get a couple to a few days out of 2 strand twist but I have NEVER gotten a week out of a hair style. The most I've been able to do it to convert a braid or twist out into something else.
Have you tried using bee mine curly hold butter? Im relaxed but it helps to keep my braidouts.

i'm styling challenged.

bunning is the easiest and the only one i've found so far to enable me to hmh, so it's practically all i do, but VERY BORING! (i do french twists, but that too is BORING now).

Cornrowing. Wow!!!!! I did not know that was going to be that difficult. I was literally in the bathroom for an hour tyring to do this and I failed epically. Everyone kept on saying, "if you know how to braid, then you know how to cornrow." Youse a lia!!!! Lol I probably should have started with flat twists.

Other than that, I would say patience issues. A year is a lonnnnnnnng time.

I used to have serious moisture issues until I found my beloved Taliah Waajid Spray.

LOL @ Riverrock. You were BOLD to start with cornrows. Time is your friend tho, I have gone nearly 2 years now from doing my own hair and its thriving.

grow have you checked out YT videos for styling help?

i cant do flat twist and i have watched youtube videos, but i can cornrow and do a pretty good braid out. im still trying to master bantou knot outs on dry hair they look nice but dont last longer then a day

Back