Castor oil (not sure if it's working well)

Fine 4s

I sometimes put castor oil on wet hair after I wash & condition.
Either this oil is too heavy for my fine 4's or I'm doing something wrong. Even if I try mixing it with something much lighter it still stays thick and makes each strand stretch way too much. It becomes difficult for me to manage my hair after putting castor oil on it. Forget putting it in a bun and my twists don't look as plump as when I use a different oil or leave-in.

What's the 411 on castor oil? I'm talking about the clear one (bought in Wholefoods) it has Home Health something on the bottle. Is JBCO lighter? Anyone?

I'm a fine 4a (:grin:) and my hair does not tolerate oils directly like that at all, esp. castor oil.... Definitely cannot be heavy-handed with the oil, esp. castor oil. Maybe you could do another rinse to get some of the oil out?

Not sure about lighter oils....

How much are you using? Castor oil is very thick, and it's really easy to use too much. I'm thinking you're either being heavy-handed or your hair just doesn't like castor oil. If your hair is fine, I'd steer clear of it, and stick to lighter oils like jojoba or coconut

I use it too and my hair is fine. You definitely can get stringy twists if you use too much because of its thickness. It is the best oil that locks in the moisture for me though so I love it. Maybe you should use less castor or mix it with something lighter.

I use it too and my hair is fine. You definitely can get stringy twists if you use too much because of its thickness. It is the best oil that locks in the moisture for me though so I love it. Maybe you should use less castor or mix it with something lighter.

I don't believe I am using too much :perplexed
But you never know.
If I put it at the top of my hair when I bun, it leaves it soft by the end of the day but putting it on loose hair :nono: I don't think I'll buy this again or if anything, I'll bury a really small bottle of it.
Thanks for the advice ladies!

But you never know.
If I put it at the top of my hair when I bun, it leaves it soft by the end of the day but putting it on loose hair :nono: I don't think I'll buy this again or if anything, I'll bury a really small bottle of it.

Try pre-pooing with it so that it's not wasted. What I would do with it is perhaps oil my scalp and hair strands with it the night before a wash day. That way it should still help to thicken your hair a little.

I also put a little of it in my MN mix with sulfur and oils. Hope these help as ways to use it up. Worst case scenario, it can be used as a laxative:grin::lachen:- added just for laughs.

Castor oil is so thick you really only need a little bit and you can add it to other products as well if you still find it's too heavy for your hair. That way you'll still et the benefits of it.

But you never know.
You have a high quality castor oil and brand--keep it! :up: With experience, you'll find a way to use it on your hair (mixed with a lighter carrier oil like jojoba) and/or there are a long list of benefits with this oil, such as longer, thicker eyelashes, eyebrows and other healing benefits. :yep:

Back