Carol's Daughter Product Review & Tell me why so much hate on their products?

zamaih

I've seen so much hate on Carol's Daughter products on lhcf, youtube, etc. but I've decided to give another perspective.

I love the Black Vanilla Herbal Shampoo, Black Vanilla Hair Smoothie, and Mimosa Hair Honey. Full review and how I styled my hair here:

http://astrofashionista.blogspot.com/2010/07/carols-daughter-product-review.html

Attached is a picture of my results the first time I used these products.

I know her products are a pretty penny but I want to hear why so many of you have not had success with the products you tried.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSC04475.JPG
    DSC04475.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 213
I dont know how it will work now that my hair is relaxed. But when I was transitioning it was horrible! My pressing comb would not glide through my hair, kept getting stuck, making my hair break off. My hair wasnt as moisturized as it could be, I could not straighten my hair well with the flat iron..... I just didnt like it, so I took it back to Sephora. Plus that Rosemary Mint was sooooooo thin!!!! Felt like I wasnt really cleaning or conditioning my hair!

I don't like Carol's Daughter Products because the last time I used them some of her products still had chemicals in it.

I've never used their product. From an outsider looking in, I find it hard to trust their claims since so many of their spoke persons only wear weave (Mary J Blige, Jada Pinkett Smith). The only reason I would ever give their product a chance is because of good reviews from LHCF.

I've never used their product. From an outsider looking in, I find it hard to trust their claims since so many of their spoke persons only wear weave (Mary J Blige, Jada Pinkett Smith). The only reason I would ever give their product a chance is because of good reviews from LHCF.

I agree, her spokesmodels are suspect. The only reason I gave them a chance is because I had a gift certificate to sephora and knew I could take them back if I didn't like them. I was pleasantly suprised, seems like I'm the minority though.

i never tried and never will b/c i hear 2 many negative reviews, it costs too much, and her ingredient quality went down since going mainstream

The healthy hair butter and hair milk was terrible i felt like i was putting grease in my DD natural 3c/4a hair and it sat on top of her hair. The mimosa i use as a gel to slick down her hair and i hardly put a dent and i've had it quiet a while. My house hold personally out hair doesn't like her products at all.

The healthy hair butter and hair milk was terrible i felt like i was putting grease in my DD natural 3c/4a hair and it sat on top of her hair. The mimosa i use as a gel to slick down her hair and i hardly put a dent and i've had it quiet a while. My house hold personally out hair doesn't like her products at all.

I agree that the Mimosa Hair Honey is not a "pomeade" like it's marketed and does not slick the hair down. I primiarily use it on my ends like an oil or after a roller set to add sheen. I like it for these purposes.

Why the hate? Well, speaking for myself all I can say is that their products are way too expensive and heavilly perfumed for my taste. I can use a cheaper, natural alternative I mix myself and get better results than their products.

CD's products cost TOO DAMN MUCH! I tried her shampoo on my dd's hair, I forget which one, and it left my dd's hair hard, and matted! I do, however, like the Mimosa Hair Honey, but even after that's finished, I will not be purchasing anything else. :nono: I wish I had known about CD before LHCF...could've saved a few bucks!

The Black Vanilla Shampoo and Smoothie dried my hair out horribly, it was VERY brittle. I had to co-wash after my DC with the Smoothie.

The hair milk did nothing but leave my hair greasy, same for the Mimosa Honey (can't remember the name!)

I LOVE the body products, but after trying 3 of her hair products I won't be using anything else from her hair care line.

Well, I like the hair milk. But, that's the only product that I'm using right now. I think what happens is that many people get on product bandwagons with the misguided notion that what works for others will work for them. It's all about finding the right product for you. What's expensive for some isn't expensive for others and so forth. Truth be told, as far as expense goes, she's no more expensive than other product lines (e.g. Bee Mine, Qhemet Biologics, Oyin).

The cost is not what turns me off from CD because there are other lines that are just as costly.

What bothers me about Carol's Daughter is that it uses absolutely inferior ingredients compared to other lines. Not to mention the fact that it simply didn't work on my hair. My hair got mad at me the last time I used the hair milk and I had to apologize to it by putting in Qhemet Biologics. That was 3 years ago and I'll never do that again. :yep:

People are still hatin' after all these yrs?? I haven't seen reviews in recent innanet history but you gotta assume if they're in national distribution someone likes them (a lot of someones). I tried some of her butters yrs ago and they were fine. The shampoo at that time was castille soap w/ eo's. I don't like soap as shampoo but other than that no complaints.

ive been using carols daughter since i was relaxed. ive now been natural for a little over a year. when i was relaxed i swore by her tui shampoo, tui and black vanilla smopthies, lisa hair elixer, healthy hair butter, and hair balm.
right now the only products by her im in love with is the tui shampoo(very moisturizing) and hair milk. i love the way her hair milk defines my curls. and its a leave in and moisturizer for me. i dont have to use anything over or under it. when we had that huge snow storm back in Feb. i think it was. i was snowed in at work and the only thing i used that whole time was the hair milk and i did not have any issues with my hair.

I was using the hairmilk and tui leave in conditioner in my dd natural hair and I swore by it until tried other cheap products and ditched the Carlos daughter.

My husband thought I loved and bought a whole gift set for me. I hated the shampoo- after the first and last use my hair was matted and dry.

The pomade junk that is supposed to be equal to gel works like oil, it holds nothing down!

The hairmilk is so over rated but I must say I love the smell!

The only thing I like is this thick oil mixture (sorry I forgot the name) but it stinks!

However I love her body whipped sheabutter!!

The cost is not what turns me off from CD because there are other lines that are just as costly.

What bothers me about Carol's Daughter is that it uses absolutely inferior ingredients compared to other lines. Not to mention the fact that it simply didn't work on my hair. My hair got mad at me the last time I used the hair milk and I had to apologize to it by putting in Qhemet Biologics. That was 3 years ago and I'll never do that again. :yep:
i agree her ingredients arent much to write home about compared to making your own shea butter mixes, afroveda, qhemet ect. but her hair milk works for me and i can get it locally so its a staple for me.

Last edited:
several reasons:
not natural
too much beewax which leaves residue and can clog hair follices
too perfumey and artificial fragrance
not effective
over priced

i used to use the healthy hair butter and when i stopped using it even with clariying it took one month for the nasty build-up to wear off my strands. since will, jada, jay-z, and mary j have gotten involved and the brand is more mainstream, they have added even more chemicials.

I don't hate on her but I can only say what my experience was...In 2002, when I bc'd, I used her healthy hair butter, consistently. It was light and fluffy, almost like mousse. It literally MELTED into my strands. I got a chalky consistency the next time I ordered, and emailed customer service inquiring on the difference. I received the response that being the products were made by hand, the consistency would be different. Okay, I understand that. The NEXT time I ordered, her shipping and handling was so ridiculous, I had to order with a friend. After I saw her prices steadily increasing, I was done.

Mimosa hair honey - Boo. It didn't hold or slick for me like it claims to. My friend gave me some to try (I am so glad I didn't buy it). It's like a light grease with a nice smell.

Hair milk - got it as a sample with my HHB. It separated and no matter how much I shook, it didn't mix back together.

Almond Cookie Body and Bath Oil - Found this at TJ Maxx for $5.99 ($20 on website). All it did was SIT on my skin after I soaked in bathwater. It didn't absorb or wash off well. Yuck.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not hating on Carol's Daughter products. I don't like the smell of most of her products so that's a big turn off. I bought the hair butter and I liked it, but again the smell was too strong for me. I tried one of her deep conditioners and I thought it did a decent job, but my hair is too long and way too thick so I can't justify the price. I'd have to buy like 5 jars a month with the amount of thick hair I have.

I still use most of CD's products. The only two products that I do not care for are her hair milk (left my hair super greasy) and the rosemary mint shampoo (my hair was super dry and matted after use). Other than those two products I have no problem.

I had some of her hair balm but I ended up keeping it for several months before using it . The fragrance was extremely overpowering, after a few months it was less potent and I used it. I just got a free hair milk because my friend bought it, hated it and I volunteered to take it off her hands.

I used to love some of marguerite's magic. It was just the right consistency. Then she took it off the market. When it came back, it was super greasy. I never liked the hair milk because of the smell and the way it separated as soon as you got it.

The shampoo- I think black vanilla - was terrible. It left my hair so matted. The hair Smoothie condish was just okay. I liked Lisa's Hair Elixir though, but I now use other oils that are cheaper. I've never tried any of the bath products though, so I can't comment on all the CD's products. I do hope her business is successful.

There are better Natural/Handmade Products on the Market that are lower or equal in price-point, but far more superior in Quality.:yep:

Last edited:
I'm transistioning and I like the hair milk. I'ts good for my 4c hair, my hair is dry by the next day, my hair has drank up all the oil.. and it doesn't seem to matter how much I put in...my hair drinks it up..So I think the pomade's, butters and oils work better if your hair is as bone dry as mine. The finer your hair type the less I would recommend CD products..I'm sure it does weigh the hair down. If I was relaxed I probably would not use the hair milk. I use the hair milk in conjunction with my cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil...and yep, my hair still drinks it up! I love the smell of the Black Vanilla leave in hair mist, but it's overrated and it does dry out the hair excessively...I use that more or less as a hair perfume..not as a conditioner...it smells good! So I just mist my hair a little with it.

Back