Carol's Daughter Product Review & Tell me why so much hate on their products?

I gave Carol's Daughter two chances. I bought two rounds of gift sets with a sample of the most popular products (Hair Milk, Rosemary Mint Shampoo, Black Vanilla Leave-In, Hair Mimosa, Healthy Hair Butter)

Everything smelled wonderful, but my hair wasn't mosturized at all. It was just okkk. I tried it twice, so I gave it a fighting chance.

I'm 4b Natural, btw.

I don't think it's "hate" ..
her products just don't give good results for some people.. (or in this case quite a few people)
myself being one of them

Shampoo dried out my DD hair and mine...we have two different textures...Hair butter reminds me of wet chalk...

I don't think it's "hate" ..
her products just don't give good results for some people.. (or in this case quite a few people)
myself being one of them
That is turning into a pet peeve of mine. People are so quick to call others haters.:rolleyes:
Anyhoo,I agree with this statement.
She uses tons of peanut oil and wax,which do not do a good job of helping to moisturize.
Her products are overpriced for the low quality ingredients in them. I had a bad experience years ago with her products. I tried the hair milk about a week ago,and that too sucked badly. People don't "hate" on products that work wonders on their hair. Her stuff just does not perform on the level that I need them to.

I purchased several gift sets (a bunch of stuff) of CDs prods when I was inexperienced in how to properly use them so sharing my experience would not be fair. I still have an abundant amount of prod left but I've found cheaper/local alternatives that's getting the job done now that I know how to properly apply prods. I might give CD another try just to use the prod stash up that I have but I won't be purchasing any more because I prefer to buy my hair prods in-store, off the shelf vs online. I like immediate pleasure vs waiting for a shipment. And, the prices of CD are way too experience.

The bath prods are so-so. Smell decent but doesn't give a nice lather. I've gifted all my CDs bath items to the dh.

The Rosemary mint shampoo dried my hair out terribly, which was just a waste of money.

I was a newbie when I tried the hair milk; I didn't care for the scent at all and I honestly don't remember how well it worked, except for thinking that it was way too light for my hair.

I hated the tui hair smoothie; it didn't soften at all, I couldn't comb through my hair and it was awful.

I was utterly ambivalent about the healthy hair butter; it was a bit heavy but my hair didn't mind it.

I liked the smell of the hair mimosa but it didn't do anything for my hair.

I loved Some of Marguerite's Magic. That product smelled good, worked well in slightly damp hair (too heavy for dry), but I couldn't afford the shipping costs, especially since I couldn't find it in stores at the time.

Overall I just had more negative or ambivalent experiences than good ones, so it's not worth repurchasing. As far as the price, while I agree that others can cost just as much, I also get 16 oz of product (QB, Hairveda, Afroveda, etc.) versus the 4-8 oz. I get from CD. So it's just not worth it to me to go back.

The Khoret Amen Leave In Conditioner Stinks. I was turned off after a two days of my hair smelling like tree bark. SMH... I might try something else, like the hair milk! Oh yes and the mimosa hair honey was ok.

I gave Carol's Daughter an honest chance.

Despite bad reviews on here, I tried her Hair Butter. My hair hated it - it just left it greasy. A year later, I ordered her Rosemary Mint Shampoo, Conditioner, and Hair Milk set from HSN. She claimed the products could be used daily and worked on all hair types, and on both natural and relaxed hair. The mint shampoo did not tingle (as rosemary mint should) and left my hair stripped. The conditioner was better, but it had a strong pepperminty smell and wasn't moisturizing.

My relaxed hair really had no use for the hair milk. It wasn't moisturizing to me, and it didn't help to detangle as a leave-in.

I bought the Black Vanilla Leave-In from Sephora. It makes my hair sticky, but I use it on my ends/edges sometimes when bunning and I spray it on my hair before dates because my boyfriend really likes the smell. If not for him, I would have returned it.

I actually don't like her body products, either, but that's another story....I don't find her products to be expensive, but I do find them to be rather greasy.

Last edited:

I know her products are a pretty penny but I want to hear why so many of you have not had success with the products you tried.

Thanks in advance!

I like the Mimosa Hair Honey but I can definitely live without it. I truly liked Marguerite's Magic...but other batches I'd got molded up. The Rosemary shampoo didn't truly clean my hair and left it tangled and dry on the ends. the Vanilla spray was nice-smelling but I like Infusium better and it's cheaper. I never got around to the Tui oil because I discovered Wonder 8 and African-something for 2 bucks at Family Dollar lol! And they are both natural products.

Her stuff is ....okay.... but I think there are many products out there that are simply better. If Carol's Daughter staff are viewing LHCF, I'd suggest you up the quality control to produce more consistent products.

Last edited:
I've tried the Hair Balm. It smells so nice and is very moisturizing for my relaxed ends. It is about 13 dollars but it does last a while.

I've also tried Lisa's Elixir.The smell is strong but it didn't bother me. I didn't notice growth or softness from use.So I will settlefor a cheaper product that will give me results.

I haven't tried anything else due to price as well as the scents from the products. The body scents and skin moisturizers just smell bad.

That is turning into a pet peeve of mine. People are so quick to call others haters.:rolleyes:
Anyhoo,I agree with this statement.
She uses tons of peanut oil and wax,which do not do a good job of helping to moisturize.
Her products are overpriced for the low quality ingredients in them. I had a bad experience years ago with her products. I tried the hair milk about a week ago,and that too sucked badly. People don't "hate" on products that work wonders on their hair. Her stuff just does not perform on the level that I need them to.

I used "hate" to get everyone's attention and because it's a popular expression. Of course I don't think just because you don't like a product you're a "hater." I was not being literal.

For me they didn't do anything horrible to my hair. I just felt like it wasn't amazing. For my hair anyway, I have found other similarly priced products that my hair likes much better.

On the hunt for a leave-in conditioner, I walked into a Sephora and headed straight to the Carol's Daughter products. I was so excited....until I read the ingredients.

YUCK!! At those prices, I couldn't believe these products were full of the same garbage peddled in the "ethnic hair" section at Rite Aid!! I'm really into ingredients so.....I'm not a cheapskate, I will pay money for quality! But nothing in CD products scream quality, they scream scam! (Just my humble opinion.)

i really like her body souffles they re great and the exctasy smells heavenly ,I ve tried quite a few products from her range :
Tui Hair Oil:Smells divine ,but didnt do anything for my hair i believe it has a high content of corn oil which I can get for 30c at the shop.
Tui Smoothie :I love the smell of it as a deep conditioner is not great but i liked it OK,cant remember being amazed by it (i tried it 4 years ago)
Rosemary Shampoo :Left my hair straw like and limp.
Lisa Elixir :Hmm again didnt do much for my hair and it was sticky on the bottle ,corn oil seems not to agree much with my hair .The smell was too strong .
Khoret Amen shampoo :Left my hair dry and smells terrible.
Khoret Smoothie :Smells bad Ok results ,i wouldnt buy it again .
Khoret Amen Oil :Didnt like the smell although this oil worked pretty well on my hair ,it made it soft and shiny ,if it wasnt for the weird smell i MIGHT repurchase.

Black Vanilla Leave in :I really like this as a refreshing spritz ,it lightly moisturizes hair and leaves it soft and smelling of vanilla.Cant beat that .:)
Black Vanilla Smoothie :Hm I donno i ve used it 3 times I liked it alot the second time around then the third time i wasnt too impressed ,I m really not sure whether i like it or not really .

Excstasy Perfume :Love it !it has long staying power
Ocean Perfume:hate it ,smells like seaweed.
Ocean Butter :thick consistency ,again dont like the smell

Healthy Hair Butter:A bit waxy and very heavy for my hair ,i dont dislike it ,its a good product for definition and frizz .
Mimosa Hair :Way too heavy for my hair ,it gives a lovely shine and it smells nice>Thats all.
Hair Balm:This saved me from frizzy ,humid nights in Dubai,beware,It DOES NOT protect from heat doesnt claim it does .It s the best product from CD and i would defintley repurchase.
Hair Milk :It just sits on my hair doesnt moisturize it but it gives very good curl definition and keeps my hair soft .

I'm 4b and most of her products did absolutely nothing for my hair. I liked the Khoret Amen Oil and the Tui Jojoba Oil Spray. I also like the body butters and the body scrubs (although they are sooo expensive). I used the scrub on my ex boyfriends extra dry skin and it was sooo smooth afterwards.

But, all her moisturizers and pomades I've tried just kinda sat on my hair and did nothing, both on my relaxed and transitioning hair.

The products from her that I have tried have been ICKEROO! The Black Vanilla LI spray left my hair so hard that I had to cowash - it was like matted and felt like a brick. Then, I got the Hair Milk and it was okay at first then I noticed that my ends were dried out like crazy and I was getting more SSKs while using it. Thank goodness for Sephora and their return policy. That stuff is NOT worth the money at all!

When I first BC'd I looked into her products cause some of my friends just love them. But like many have said, I walked into Sephora, saw the ingredients and thought "No way am I paying $$$ for CORN OIL!" They gave me some samples but that didn't help.

I love to support black-owned businesses but this is not a charity. If we're their target then maybe all the complaints will actually help them do something different & better for us & their business.

I tried the hair butter, hair milk and khoret amen hair smoothie. The hair butter just matted my hair and didn't make it soft at all. The hair milk worked wonderfully- defined, shiny curls,- BUT the smell is unbearable. It's a strong smell of lemon pinesol or something. It's not a smell that can be covered up by another product and it doesn't mix well w/ fruity smells (which i DO like) so i've only used it like twice, can't get over the smell. If she made an unscented hair milk, I would be all over it. The smoothie conditioner worked well to moisturize but I got the big jar and only got 1 1/2 uses out of it for the price I paid. It wasn't ALL that so it just isn't worth the money.

The only Carol's Daughter product I ever tried was the hair milk when I was natural the last time and I really liked it. I didn't particularly care for the mineral oil in it, but I don't think it had an adverse effect on my hair. I used it mainly as a styling aid and it was great. I never had a chance to use any of her other products but I probably will as soon as I chop the rest of my relaxed ends.

^^^ The hair milk does not contain mineral oil I don't think any of her products do. I hadn't used this in years though, so maybe it's in the ingredients now?

I actually like many of her hair products(as well as the body products), so I guess my hair likes beeswax and corn oil, lol. I've used them for years (even when relaxed) but I also use Qhemet's, Oyin Handmade, Miss Jessie's, Beemine (love as well), beauty supply store products....product junkie, haha.

Also, I don't think her prices are any more expensive than the other natural lines for the most part. I should also mention I am not against certain ingredients so the whole thing about 'quality ingredients' doesn't change my opinion about a product. If it works, it works....if it doesn't (after a few more attempts) I just figure it won't work for MY hair, not that it's a horrible product. :-)

They had HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE customer service before. The online is better now but some of the clerks in the stores still have their heads up their behinds.

That Black Vanilla leave-in dried my hair up something terrible. I couldn't wait to wash it out. That leave-in and the hair butter which I hated as well were both returned to Sephora quickly.

I didn't like the Rosemary Mint shampoo; it tangled my (relaxed) hair like nobody's business.

I haven't tried the Hair Milk or Some of Marguerite's Magic on my transitioning hair, but the products that I do like and have purchased regularly are the Tui Hair Smoothie (don't know if they still make it, but I liked it when I used it), the Black Vanilla leave-in, (the smell is intoxicating :grin:), the Lisa's Elixir and the Hair Balm (only need to use a little..I bought them like 3 years ago and the bottles are still full.

I like the body care, but don't use em that much, though, I guess because it lasts for a long time and the lotions are a little greasy.

I bought my mom the Tui Hair set for Christmas which included the shampoo, smoothie, the oil, some Hair Milk and a comb. We hated everything except the shampoo and oil.

A few months later, I saw a sales clerk at Sephora with the most beautiful, shiny 4b afro I ever saw. I asked him what he used and he said CD products. Now this was odd because we had such a hard time yet he was clearly having success (yes I know what works for one person doesn't work for another). And he explained that the "new improved" CD was incorrectly marketed (in his opinion). According to him, the Rosemary Mint is meant for oily, thin Type 1 hair, the Black Vanilla is for Type 2 and Type 3, the Tui is for damaged hair (usually type 1-3), and the Khoret Amen is for Type 4. But because CD tries to make it seem like any product will work for any hair type, a lot of people end up picking the wrong product.

Now of course, people can use what they want, but I think that maybe he is on to something because IME, the people who use the right product for their type based on his statement seem to give the best CD reviews.

I bought my mom the Tui Hair set for Christmas which included the shampoo, smoothie, the oil, some Hair Milk and a comb. We hated everything except the shampoo and oil.

A few months later, I saw a sales clerk at Sephora with the most beautiful, shiny 4b afro I ever saw. I asked him what he used and he said CD products. Now this was odd because we had such a hard time yet he was clearly having success (yes I know what works for one person doesn't work for another). And he explained that the "new improved" CD was incorrectly marketed (in his opinion). According to him, the Rosemary Mint is meant for oily, thin Type 1 hair, the Black Vanilla is for Type 2 and Type 3, the Tui is for damaged hair (usually type 1-3), and the Khoret Amen is for Type 4. But because CD tries to make it seem like any product will work for any hair type, a lot of people end up picking the wrong product.

Now of course, people can use what they want, but I think that maybe he is on to something because IME, the people who use the right product for their type based on his statement seem to give the best CD reviews.

Also, if you go online and research the product (which I highly recommend for all products anyway), it will tell you what textures work best with each product. If you blindly buy it, you get what you pay for :rolleyes:

Also, if you go online and research the product (which I highly recommend for all products anyway), it will tell you what textures work best with each product. If you blindly buy it, you get what you pay for :rolleyes:

Are you talking about random people who go to the store or people on the board? If it's people on the board I don't think anyone of us blindly buys anything without getting some kind of review from our fellow members or other sources. The Black Vanilla leave-in and the hair butter were both recommended for my hair type (relaxed) and they still didn't work out for me. *kanye shrug*

I don't like Carol's Daughter Products because the last time I used them some of her products still had chemicals in it.

KaramelKurly, I currently use CD's Healthy Hair Butter for my styling but I've noticed that there a couple of chemicals in it and I'm interested in finding a non-chemical alternative. I noticed that you strictly use totally Organic products; can you please share what you use? Or have you done this already on LHCF (maybe I can search your posts)? Thanks in advance!

Are you talking about random people who go to the store or people on the board? If it's people on the board I don't think anyone of us blindly buys anything without getting some kind of review from our fellow members or other sources. The Black Vanilla leave-in and the hair butter were both recommended for my hair type (relaxed) and they still didn't work out for me. *kanye shrug*

It could go any way. I think that it's important to stress not getting on bandwagons because it could turn out disappointing (and costly) to others.

Btw, what is a kanye shrug? I haven't the slightest clue and I have seen it used in other forums :grin:.

Back