Carol's Daughter Hell!

chayil0427

I'm in horror. :mad: Last week after my wash I put some Carol's Daughter "Some of Margeurites Magic" in my hair. It was really thick and kinda funky, but I thought the natural incredients and the heavy cream would help tame my new growth.

The next morning my hair felt soft ... even the new growth and I was impressed. Yet, as the week has wore on and I put more of this stuff in my hair I started to notice shedding and breakage ... A LOT of shedding and breakage. At first I wrote it off thinking that it was just because I'm 12 weeks post, but today as I ran my hand over my hair and pulled out about 20 strands I realised that this cream is breaking my hair off!

I instantly jumped in the shower to poo up for a deep condition. As the warm water ran over my hair it stank of this horrible concoction and even worse my hair became HARD. Underneath this hair dressing my hair was becoming dry, brittle and hard with me thinking it's soft just because I'm feeling the CD hair dressing and not my actual hair.

4 Shampoos (and I mean cheap 99 cent sauve clarifyer that would normally wash the funk out of a skunk) my hair was still waxy and oily at the roots.

Finally I just gave up on shampooing and coated my hair with some warmed Silicon Mix ... I'm going to let it soak over night and pray that my hair goes back to its normal condition.

I'm so angry because ApHogee had my hair where I was experiencing no breakage and shedding even though I haven't trimmed since August. Now, at the dawn of a new year, my hair is a mess again.

Carol's Daughter is a rip. All of her products be they body or hair have the same ingredients i.e. vegetable wax, bees wax, shea, cocoa butter, jojoba ect. It's rediculous that she charges such prices for such horrible products -- which are no longer all natural which was CDs orginal claim to fame anyway.

I was going to try the Hair Milk because Babygurl whoms hair I admire so much said she loves it, but now I'm thinking I just could never bring myself to try anymore of her products.

Tomorrow I'm off to Sally's for some Mango Butter and ApHogee ...hopefully I can get my hair back to normal before my next relaxer which will be a week from now for a 13 week stretch.

Chayil

I'm sorry this happened to you. I actually really like SOMM, but I use it very sparingly and only on the sections of my hair that are extremely dry. I only apply it to wet, freshly washed and conditioned hair, then I seal with an oil and I do not use any more on my hair until after the next wash so I'm not surprised you had so much build up. I hope your hair recovers quickly.

Sorry this happened to you. Even though this product didnt have me jumping through hoops, it didn't damage my hair at all. I hope you get your hair right.

Yep... I didn't apply it everyday...just about three times this week. Perhaps the build up on my scalp is the reason for the shedding.

Chayil

im not surprised this happened. I find her products too heavy for me as well and her hair products just dont impress me. One product in particular, the khoret hair oil, stinks like all hell.

glossyxlipz said:
im not surprised this happened. I find her products too heavy for me as well and her hair products just dont impress me. One product in particular, the khoret hair oil, stinks like all hell.

I agree. I bought her Rosemary and Mint shampoo, hair milk and a leave in I can't remember. After using them once, my hair became so dry that I stopped using them. I think it is the beeswax and the alcohol in the products that has affected my hair.

Thanks for this thread and I am sorry that this happened to you. I meant to post these products up for sale/trade so I can get rid of them. Perhaps someone else can use them.

I use SOMM sometimes. But only around my edges. It's too thick to put on the length of my hair. Two items I've found that are similar (but more natural - better consistency) are Qhemet Biologic Amla & Oil Heavy Cream and MyAsha's Mane Attraction. Both melt into the hair without leaving a heavy buildup.

I use Mane Attraction on my teens twists and they stay moisturized all week.

http://qhemetbiologics.com/
http://www.myashas.com/

I agree CD is a complete rip off! I don't know how they stay in business. I bought the Black Vanilla leave in conditioner for $10 and it was just scented water. I thought maybe it didn't work because I have relaxed hair and natural products just don't do it for me sometimes but I gave it to a friend who is natural and she agreed with me. It did nothing for her. CD will never get any of my money ever again. Especially since I had to wait a month for the stuff because they forgot to process my order and I had to call up there to see what was going on:mad:

Wow, Chayill.

I'm sorry you had this experience. I'm sure you can bring your hair back to its wonderful condition, soon. I haven't tried any of her products yet. I'm in no hurry to do so.

I'm sorry this has happened to you:( . I hope that silicon mix saves your hair. I don't think I'll be tryin out CD.

That sucks. I've been wanting to try her products but now I'm having second thoughts. Have you tried clarifying to get the gunk out?

bmoreflyygirl said:
That sucks. I've been wanting to try her products but now I'm having second thoughts. Have you tried clarifying to get the gunk out?

What would be a good clarifier that won't strip my hair?

janiebaby said:
What would be a good clarifier that won't strip my hair?

I use the V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying Poo. You can find it for $1 or less and it works. It'll have your hair feeling squeaky clean. Just make sure you follow up with a moisturizing conditioner afterwards. I always use it to wash all the gunk out of my hair at the end of the week when I'm wearing it out.

JANIEBABY:

"I bought the Black Vanilla leave in conditioner for $10 and it was just scented water."

LOL...:lachen:

...wow...

So sorry for the problem your having :(. I can't take the smell. The hair products did nothing for my family, so in the cabinet they sit.

bmoreflyygirl said:
I use the V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying Poo. You can find it for $1 or less and it works. It'll have your hair feeling squeaky clean. Just make sure you follow up with a moisturizing conditioner afterwards. I always use it to wash all the gunk out of my hair at the end of the week when I'm wearing it out.

Whoa, a $1? You're singing my song. Thank you!

I just bought the Hair Milk and it seems okay but SUPER concentrated. So it really has to be used sparingly. It seems to work well on wet hair but a bit oily for use in between washes. The scent is a bit loud too.

I just bought the Hair Milk and it seems okay but SUPER concentrated. So it really has to be used sparingly. It seems to work well on wet hair but a bit oily for use in between washes. The scent is a bit loud too.

I'm beginning to hear more and more complaints about her hair products. I'm sorry this had to happen. I guess since she's done gone mainstream so to speak, she has shy away from staying natural. Then again I could be wrong.

Sorry to here that this has happened to you. I won't be trying CD. I tried to order some products from her recently and had such a problem with the customer service that I ended up cancelling my order. No loss I guess.

I am sorry this happen to you.

I tried three of CD's products and hated it. All three were too heavy for my hair.

In addition, one of my products was late and customer service failed to tell me that my product would arrive a month later.

I will never try CD again. Bad customer service and non-quality products do not earn my dollars. My hair comes before anyone's business.

Wow, Im very sorry that happened to you, Ive never used SOMM so I couldnt tell you what went wrong. I still use Hair Milk (which is very light) and I have no problems. Hope things get back to normal for you girlie!

I want to support black owned businesses but I don't like CD's hair products at all. Her hair products are too heavy and greasy for my hair.

I used to use the SOMM but I stopped because it was a chore to wash out of my hair. Even with using small amounts I had to do three or four latherings when I shampooed to get it all out. I don't plan on buying the SOMM or any other Carol's Daughter products again. The prices and the quality of her products are too ridiculous for me IMO.

Last edited:
I put too much carols daughter product in my hair and had to wash it all out with dish detergent because i could not get it out to save my life :eek: never again :nono:

My hair still feels awful. I tried Mango Butter and my Mizani H20. I really think I'm just gonna go back to using all the products I was using before exclusively. Three products for me: Kera Care Hydrt. Poo, Humecto, and H20...maybe after my stuff goes back to normal I'll reintroduce the ApHogee...but since I've been using the silicon mix I think my hair has a little too much protien...it feels wirery.

Chayil

Back