Carmelization

bee

I was over on BHM and found a thread on "carmelization." It's a conditioning hair treatment that can be purchased or made at home. Well, I mixed up a batch using 2 bananas, molasses, honey, corn starch, water and some other light oils that I had. Something told me to strain my mixture, but I didn't. I sat under my heat cap for about 20 min. and stepped in the shower to wash my hair. Turns out, I'm a BIG, OLE BANANA HEAD! I ended up w/ banana chunks in my hair because I don't have a blender and I was too impatient to wait for the bananas to get brown.

I said all of that to say that my hair feels great--in spite of...! The result of this treatment is supposed to give the effect like your hair has been relaxed. I braided the back of my hair and left out a portion in front to wear my half wig. When I flat ironed this morning, my roots were relaxer straight! Also, when I got most of the banana out, my hair was super soft. BTW, I am transitioning at 20 weeks post.

My that sounds more like a great snack!! I haven't heard of that before...it will be intresting to try if I can manage not to eat it before I put it on my hair :lick:

There are some threads around here on it ..Im thinking of doing it to stretch my relaxers once i get some new growth ..ill bump on of em for ya

Thanks MissMadaam! Overall, I'm very pleased with how my hair turned out. I put a permantent color on the nape of my hair this summer, and my hair broke of down to the beedeebee's! I have been S-Curling and castor oiling, like crazy. But after the treatment my hair is noticeably smoother back there. It actually has the nerve to lay down! I know you are only supposed to do this treatment every 4 weeks and I can live with that. Hopefully, by then, I'll have a blender and some really old bananas!

My that sounds more like a great snack!! I haven't heard of that before...it will be intresting to try if I can manage not to eat it before I put it on my hair :lick:

That does sound yummy! I hate sitting under the dryer and my stomach gets to growling b/c I'd rather have my treatment in my mouth as opposed to on my head!

Bee, do you know if natural hair reverts back to its original state after this treatment?

Last edited:
From what I've read, NaturalJoy, the hair does revert back to its original state but the curl is supposed to be looser.

RoyalGlory, my hair is relaxed, but I am transitioning. Like I've previously stated, I am pretty happy with the results. Even though today, my hair is not as straight as it was when I first flat-ironed it, it is still pretty soft and still blends well with my half wig.

I'm tryna find the old Carmel Treatment thread with the full recipe in it ...

To use on my head this time, not to eat :grin:

I think someone mentioned using banana baby food if you couldn't blend the bananas well enough. I bought the carmel treatment already made from a company called ETAE(sp) and it was just sticky. I have not had too much luck with food treatments for my hair. But it may work for you.

Thanks MissMadaam! Overall, I'm very pleased with how my hair turned out. I put a permantent color on the nape of my hair this summer, and my hair broke of down to the beedeebee's! I have been S-Curling and castor oiling, like crazy. But after the treatment my hair is noticeably smoother back there. It actually has the nerve to lay down! I know you are only supposed to do this treatment every 4 weeks and I can live with that. Hopefully, by then, I'll have a blender and some really old bananas!

:lachen:took it back to Martin

I think someone mentioned using banana baby food if you couldn't blend the bananas well enough. I bought the carmel treatment already made from a company called ETAE(sp) and it was just sticky. I have not had too much luck with food treatments for my hair. But it may work for you.

I bought that line too...it takes time for it work on some people. I didn't see a difference until the 4th time I did it. Meaning it took 2 bottles.
Here's what I did each time;
used the treatment as directed as a pre-poo
It sat for 45mins with cap
Rinsed with warm water
Shampooed with CON
Always Natural conditioner mixed with Etae oil blend(let it sit for 1/2 hour)
Quick rinsed with Tressame' Moisture conditioner
Redken anti-snap
blowdry and flat iron

Back