Carmela proves that heat does not damage hair!!!!

Trinity1

Caramela,

A while back you stated that you were changing your regimen and would be using a blowdryer and curling iron to style your hair at least once a week,twice at the most. You also mentioned how your hair appeared to be in better shape when doing this regimen. I can honestly say that you hair progress shows that heat does not damage hair. With proper use and no abuse we can use these tools and still maintain thick luscious hair. My sister uses one religiously once a week after every wash and her hair grows faster than my hair which is air dried with hardly no heat applied to it.

Thanks Caramela for sharing your beautiful pics. You are and have always been my inspiration.

Tee

I agree. I know people who have been doing this religiously for years and they have a thick head of long beautiful hair
shocked.gif

Yep...I was one of those(who used direct heat of a blowdryer only once a week)...but it caught up with me...it may have been 26 years later...but it DID catch up with me. My mother warned me when I was young that all the stuff I was doing to my hair(dyes, blowdryers and curling irons) would catch up with me sooner or later... and she was right. My hair always grew fast...but not as fast as it does now. I've used direct heat once in the last 2 years. I don't miss it at all. But to each his own....what works for one does not work for another... I try to keep that in mind when I look at all the beautiful hair that is posted.

Don't get it twisted. Heat will damage your hair. When I blow dry, I make sure that I do it on warm heat and a low setting. I don't dry it bone straight either, just enough to extract the water from my hair. And as far as the iron is concerned, I only hold it on long enough to make a curl, like 5 seconds or so.
But you are right, as long as used properly, I don't think they post a big threat to healthy hair.

<font color="blue">**HIJACK: sweetcocoa I Luuuv ur Avatar! lol**

Anywayz...I don't know bout that heat business. When I was relaxed my stylist told me to stay off the curling irons/blowdryers. And I did it for a year and during that year my hair grew in thicker and longer than ever before so...I dunno! *shrug* {/color]

I used direct heat all the time on my hair when I kept it cut short. My hair was always healthy looking because I was constantly cutting it. But now I would never use or advise the use of frequent direct heat (on wet hair esp) to anyone who is growing their hair to its maximum length..I think in the long run (as SweetCocoa said) it will weaken and cause further damage to the hair......

[ QUOTE ]
But to each his own....what works for one does not work for another...

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminds me of another thread where someone said that her hair "seized up" at the mere thought of using a heat appliance.
rofl.gif

Caramela has found a routine that works for her. Go 'head, girl!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">**HIJACK: sweetcocoa I Luuuv ur Avatar! lol**

Anywayz...I don't know bout that heat business. When I was relaxed my stylist told me to stay off the curling irons/blowdryers. And I did it for a year and during that year my hair grew in thicker and longer than ever before so...I dunno! *shrug* {/color]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!
Caramela...I agree with your post for you and others who know their hair....it's an individual thing. You are very careful with your hair(I know from your past posts)..you know just how much heat your hair can take. Mine can take very little..but I'm okay with that. Moderation is always best.

Caramela,
Didn't I read in an earlier post by you that you do give your hair a break from heat every once in a while? Do you use heat 1-2 x a week 52 weeks a year? How often do you give yourself a break from heat?

Please dont get me wrong everyone. I am not saying this to advocate using these styling tools all of the time. I use them once a month or so. I was just stating that they can be used without severe damage if we dont abuse them,meaning use them consistently.

Caramela,
I understand what you are saying in reference to how you use them. Thats alot more than I use them but it works for you and you have nice healthy looking hair. My post was to simply extend that compliment.

Tee

Oh, no. Not 52 weeks a year
nono.gif
I wear my hair in a wet bun most of the time (ponytail method, just wrapping the ends into a bun) I'd say out of a month 2 weeks my hair is up, and 2 weeks it would be down. Yeah, that sounds right
look.gif

totally giving up heat is too hard for me. i do airdry after i wash but due to my hair thickness/length, it remains damp and doesn't dry that straight. when it is about 90% dry, i will take my blowdryer to finish drying it and to make my hair more sleek. i usually then put my hair up into a drawstring ponytail.

do you'll think that this method is damaging to the hair?

I guess it really depends on the individual person...

I used.... no I "abused" direct heat for many a years (18yrs), up to just 9 mths ago when i began a healthy regime. Yes I had a "dry" problem, but never a breakage or thinning problem....my hair was just as thick then, but longer actually. I still don't understand why
confused.gif
... guess God took pity on me...

But anyway, now that i have dropped the curling iron, blow dryer, etc, I don't have that "dry" problem anymore, &amp; my hair is growing "thicker" &amp; "longer" quicker.

I plan to never go back to direct heat, but If i do, i know from past experience that my hair can take it without any damage. On top of that, I'm sure that I'd be tons more careful this time around...now that I understand what a "healthy regime" is
laugh.gif

........direct heating appliances are fine in moderation.

Hype Hair magazine article:

Hair can become damaged through daily maintenance as well as chemical processes, a regular hair repair regime is imperative. Granted, relaxers, permanent colors, flat irons and pressing combs can make your hair look and even feel beautiful, but dont be fooled! Its important to address whats going on within the hair. In other words, the toll of the hair processes you used to "get the look" have had on your hair's health.

I have a friend who goes to the salon every week for a wash and blow dry. To finish her look they either use a flat iron or a curling iron (the kind you put on the stove). She has very healthy hair and it is almost to her hips. She only gets her hair washed when she goes to the salon, and she does not use moisturizers at home.

I agree that heat used in moderation will not harm most hair, provided the rest of the routine is solid. I must also say that the longer the hair, the finer the hair and/or the less dense the hair the more likely to be damaging. For longer hair it is because it is older hair, and as we all know the older something gets the more you have to do to/for it to maintain the same integrity/condition.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that heat used in moderation will not harm most hair, provided the rest of the routine is solid. I must also say that the longer the hair, the finer the hair and/or the less dense the hair the more likely to be damaging. For longer hair it is because it is older hair, and as we all know the older something gets the more you have to do to/for it to maintain the same integrity/condition.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes!
smile.gif

Re: Carmela proves that heat does not damage hair!

True...moderation is definitely the key. I haven't been using heat lately and I've been doing roller sets. I HAVE used the blow dryer on the cool setting or my Bonnet dryer on cool and a couple of times I had to break down and switch to the warm setting for a couple of minutes as more new growth came in, but before that I used to do the same thing Caramela does...wearing my hair down for two weeks and in a bun for two weeks. I'm just trying the less/no heat thing right now to see how it works, but usually I blow dry it (with some heat)and hot curl it (on a medium setting) when I'm wearing it down just once that week. So the most is twice a month. We were looking at some pics of me the other day and a friend of mine said "See! Look at your hair! I told you it's thick!" I didn't realize how thick it really has gotten until I looked at the pics. The pics were taken when I was using the heat twice a month on a regular basis. Plus...I was putting carrot oil on my hair for heat protection and I didn't get ANY breakage either.

I personally do not use much heat on my hair. it has gotten thicker and longer. When I purchased my ceramic flat iron I was flat ironing at least once a week. I switched to the braid out method because i was slowing abusing it again with the flat iron.

Sometimes we can follow a recipe and the dish comes out perfect. Sometimes we may follow a recipe and it turns out awful. Sometimes we can add different ingredients than what the recipe calls for and have a delious dish. I feel this way about the advice on the board. What works for one member may not work for others. Try to come up with your own recipe for success. I used the board as a guide. I neverrun out and buy the latest prdouct. Because different products work differently on our hair. SoI amreally talking to the newcomers. I would suggest going out a slow pace when getting recommendations for the board. What works for me may not work foryou. It is really trial and error. This board is just a one stop shop for hair related questions.

heat does damage ANY protein. hair is protein so heat, esp. on high and even medium consistent use will denature the protein structure and make it weak. so dont be shcked if the thickness is lost over time

sbaker, nice post above!

Back