Can't press, Can't wear natural styles....what to do???

FeelinIt

I know ultimately what I should do but I just don't like my hair short and I'm hanging onto the length. I also can now do a decent ponytail/bun and if I cut off my hair, that will not be happening for at least another year.

I am transitioning again for the third time and I have about 4-5 inches of natural hair. BUT I also have about 6 inches of permed hair.

Initially when it was first growing out, I would wear a pretty cool press. It was great. But now, as soon as I press and hit the front door, it poofs back up again. Not worth the damage and hassle.

When I try to wear it in say a twist out (I don't like braid outs) It doesn't hang or look right. Puffs, forget about it. The straight ends make it look like I just put my finger in an electric socket.

So what styling options do I have with the two VERY different hair textures?
Or better yet, can you ladies list or post links to threads with hair styling options? Maybe I'm doing the presses wrong. Maybe I'm doing the twist outs wrong. Or maybe I'm using the wrong products. Your suggestions are very needed.

Thanks in Advance!

Calm Down Sweetie,4-5 inches is alot of natural hair, have you thought about cutting the relaxed part off and get a sew in weave? I mean that is if you like weaves or don't mind, I feel your frustration because as of now My twa is 5months old and I can't do much of anything and I am just tired of looking at the Twa for real.

I just done some crazy style just to leave it alone LOL!!! Just take a deep breath you will be fine. You will get plenty more good advice.

I know a Relaxer just sounds so much easier LOL!!! But that isn't what you want, neither do I.

NappyParadise said:
Calm Down Sweetie,4-5 inches is alot of natural hair, have you thought about cutting the relaxed part off and get a sew in weave? I mean that is if you like weaves or don't mind, I feel your frustration because as of now My twa is 5months old and I can't do much of anything and I am just tired of looking at the Twa for real.

I just done some crazy style just to leave it alone LOL!!! Just take a deep breath you will be fine. You will get plenty more good advice.

I know a Relaxer just sounds so much easier LOL!!! But that isn't what you want, neither do I.

I'm calm. I've been here twice before. I guess I'm overthinking it because I've been at the point of boredom and frustration and then going to go do something drastic like getting a texlax or relaxer. I want to cut it off but I'm just not sure what direction to go in.

The weave/braid idea was where I was thinking of going but right now I'm in a financial bind. Getting it done the way I want would cost me over 200.00 dollars hair, styling and all. I'm working on that (10 year high school reunion coming up) but for now I'm trying not to go off the deep end.

It's soo wierd looking at my poofy big dense natural hair then then looking at my hanging limp straight relaxed hair. I cut off a strand to test my tolerance. When I saw how long the relaxed part was and how short my hair looked, I had a physical reaction. I'm not ready yet....

BUT your idea about cutting it, then getting a weave is a good idea. Or I may just weave it all up and cut it when it gets to a length where I can put all of my natural hair in a nice ponytail.

And you are right. I perm is NOT what I want. When I did get my perm, I was soo bored with it after only about a week. I like the bigness and shock value of my BAA!!

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by a moderator:
For a straight look you need an old school press or blow out. Updo's are nice also especially when it's hot out like today, so maybe try some updo styles, the ones that doesn't look like it took much effort are best IMO.

BabieD said:
What are the reasons you had to transition 3 times??

I just want you to remember those reasons when deciding how you will style your hair so that you won't impede your natural journey again.

The VERY first time I went natural I did it simply from overhearing a conversation a girl was having about going natural herself in highschool. So in my jr/sr year I decided to transition when I didn't know what transitioning was. LOL I had NO IDEA how to care for my natural hair. I was in tears all of the time. It would not grow, it was dry, dry, dry and it constantly broke off. I permed to ease the pain...LOL

The second time, same problem. Tears, no idea how to care for my hair, PLUS I had my Beyonce phase where I was blond and getting my braids done like hers. Tore my hair up! I decided to texlax, didn't like it then just permed it straight.

Now this is the third time. I have a lot more knowledge now and honestly a lot more acceptance of my natural hair. I'm still having issues of course but I accept it more.

But now that I know how to make it soft and how to keep it healthy I'm at a loss what to do about styling options.

That's my story....

BeautifulWideEyes said:
For a straight look you need an old school press or blow out. Updo's are nice also especially when it's hot out like today, so maybe try some updo styles, the ones that doesn't look like it took much effort are best IMO.

Yes child I've gotten an old school press and it stayed too!! BUT some of my hair did not curl back up when I washed which was infuriating. I had to cut those ends off. Updos are great but I need lots of practice. I'll look into updo hairstyles specifically for natural hair.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Have you tried a flexi rod set? I wore that style all the time during my transition. It's cute and I would get mine to last a week.

Why not do the crown and glory method? If that's not your thing, why not get some phony ponies that match your texture? I know you will find something here to help you. :)

Maybe you should try a braid out or a twist out again. It could be your technique that didn't have it hang right. What about bunning or a phony pony? Or braids or a weave?

Also if you are transitioning, it would be easier to make the straight hair look like the natural hair than vice versa. If you keep pressing the natural hair, you could damage it with the heat. And you'll have to chop all that progress off once you go natural. Which essentially means starting over.

Last edited:
Back