Can you wear microbraids and not...

ms_kenesha

suffer damage?

Hi, I have natural hair and I want to get some microbraids (aka individuals, zillions, etc.) but I am afraid it will mess up my natural hair. I had microbraids once before when I was relaxed and my hair was so broken off it was crazy! I had to get my hair cut right after I took them out. So has anyone worn micros and not sustained damage to their own hair?

When I was growing out my twa I did not get micros because I was too chicken. I got "pinch plaits" which are basically about the width of a pencil and left the ends loose. I used wet and wavy hair.
I probably wouldn't risk it... just my .02

I was kind of thinking about that, using human hair and leaving it loose, but having the braids bigger than micros.
smile.gif
Thanks for the feedback. How did your hair fare with them? Could you wash them/how often did you? What was your care & maintenance for them?

I washed once a week and too tell you the truth they were extremely frizzy but it didn't bother me. I just used braid spray, it was the one that sulfur 8 makes. I didn't suffer any damage from them, I had an excellent braider who braided firm, but not tight.

I had micros 3-4 times a few years ago while my hair was natural and about 14-16" in length, which made me far more nervous than if I had had shorter hair. There's a pic of them in album. The problem the first time was that no one wanted to braid all of my hair. So they left my ends exposed, so my ends were toasted the first time, the braids slipped out and all sorts of stuff (very low skill braider). I found a new braider and told her I need all of my hair braided and she did it. So it wasn't a problem. The only thing I noticed was knotting after I had the braids. I'm not sure if it was something I did removing them, then trying to blow dry and flat iron. It was weird b/c they were 3-4 inches from my ends. I waited from them to grow down. I think some hair knots more than others, but I never had had that problem until the braids. Other than that it was fine. My hair was less "trained" than before, it was impossible to flat iron it completely straight for at least a month.

I loved them though. The versatility was wonderful. I had wavy human hair, so I could wear it straight or curly. My braider would always put big curls in it when it was fresh or re-touched. If I wanted it straight I would flat iron the extention and roll it w/spiral rods or reg. rollers, or just use the curling iron. I rinsed them a few times a week. Used shampoo every other week and conditioned them like I would my own hair (b/c most of it was!). I was told to be careful w/that b/c the conditioner or shampoo could get stuck in the roots and cause the hair to basically dry rot. I never had that happen though.

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
I had micros 3-4 times a few years ago while my hair was natural and about 14-16" in length, which made me far more nervous than if I had had shorter hair. There's a pic of them in album. The problem the first time was that no one wanted to braid all of my hair. So they left my ends exposed, so my ends were toasted the first time, the braids slipped out and all sorts of stuff (very low skill braider). I found a new braider and told her I need all of my hair braided and she did it. So it wasn't a problem. The only thing I noticed was knotting after I had the braids. I'm not sure if it was something I did removing them, then trying to blow dry and flat iron. It was weird b/c they were 3-4 inches from my ends. I waited from them to grow down. I think some hair knots more than others, but I never had had that problem until the braids. Other than that it was fine. My hair was less "trained" than before, it was impossible to flat iron it completely straight for at least a month.

I loved them though. The versatility was wonderful. I had wavy human hair, so I could wear it straight or curly. My braider would always put big curls in it when it was fresh or re-touched. If I wanted it straight I would flat iron the extention and roll it w/spiral rods or reg. rollers, or just use the curling iron. I rinsed them a few times a week. Used shampoo every other week and conditioned them like I would my own hair (b/c most of it was!). I was told to be careful w/that b/c the conditioner or shampoo could get stuck in the roots and cause the hair to basically dry rot. I never had that happen though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your feedback! Your braids look really nice
smile.gif

I had the pinch plaits too and didn't have any problems with them. I braided the hair past my real hair's lenght to protect my ends, & I made sure to not braid to tight around my hairline. I washed them once a week and sprayed on some African Pride braid spray. Then I would apply some smooth & shine serum and tie a scarf around my hair to help prevent my braids from frizzing up, HTH.

I had the "pinch plaits" as well (just took them out sunday with no problems and no damage... there are pics of them in my album... I sprayed my scalp every other day with moisture cleanz and conditioned daily with herbal moisture glaze and once a week washed with dr bronners castille soap... and there was no damage and lots of new growth

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
I was kind of thinking about that, using human hair and leaving it loose, but having the braids bigger than micros.
smile.gif
Thanks for the feedback. How did your hair fare with them? Could you wash them/how often did you? What was your care & maintenance for them?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how my braids were. I think that if the tip of a rattail comb cannot fit through the braids when you are taking them out then they are too small.

When I had my braids, I only washed them twice out of the six weeks that I had them in. My hair didnt suffer. When I did wash them I braided them into four large braids. Be careful though, if you have black human hair the dye runs from the hair and you could stain your clothes.

Everyday I would spray Dark n Lovely Citrus Braid spray on the entire length of the braid. For the remainder of length/ends I sprayed oil sheen on them. Twice a week I would spray s-curl not drip on them.

Hey I've worn microbraids and it does not break my hair. But, I know people who have and when they take it out, they loose alot of their hair. I think it depends on how strong your hair is and how you take care of it. Make sure that you keep the roots clean, and if the roots start to twist then make sure you untwist it. Otherwise your hair will start to knot and it will be hell to take out.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I plan on getting some pinch plaits soon. My hair is about 1.5 inches, that's enough hair for them to braid right; I mean shoot if I a super novice could twist it then a braider should be able to braid it right?
wink.gif

Back