Can you swim with Yarn braid extensions?

rosie

I am wanting to try something different this summer.

I haven't done yarn braids on my dds in a few years and was thinking about them this summer.

Can you swim on a regular basis with these in your hair or would the wet weight and chlorine absorption be too much on the hair?

i would like to know as well...i just put some in my sisters hair and she is an active kid.

OOh, I just peeked your fotki. They look great. I love the front cornrows and back twists. I tld my dd that your sister was 13 you and in middle school. Mine just graudated 5th grade and is headed for middle school.

My dd was like ":grin:. I want that!"
Instead of her usual, ":rolleyes:. What crazy mess are you trying now."

She doesn't want me to make her look like a kid, so this is right on time for me. Also, all her friends have extensions, so she is really wanting them. Budget-wise, it aint happening. But I have black yarn and I can buy another skein or two. How many skeins did it take for you to to do hers.

Gonna get my yarn and practice a little before I start.

oh wow! cant believe i inspired someone! wait till i tell MY sister, she will be so happy. i forgot what kids were like in middle school - she had her 7th grade awards assembly today and i went...the hair on some of those kids looked like it cost more than anything i have ever had braided/sewn in, but hers looked equally as good i must say.

she loves them...takes less than 1 skein believe it or not but i dont do the three pieces of yarn per twist. i use honesty's method; see her fotki@ www.fotki.com/honesty

the yarn was bernat acrylic; i got it from walmart for less than 2 bucks.

my practice came in the back - by the time i got to the 3rd row or so i had it down.

Last edited:
I am getting my yarn braids next Saturday, and yes I am paying to have someone put them in. I've never had them before, so I 'm willing to let someone do it the first time around. After 6 weeks I will take a 2 week break then attempt to put them in myself. We'll see :rolleyes:

I just hope I won't come out looking like a Raggedy Anne doll :look:

I am getting my yarn braids next Saturday, and yes I am paying to have someone put them in. I've never had them before, so I 'm willing to let someone do it the first time around. After 6 weeks I will take a 2 week break then attempt to put them in myself. We'll see :rolleyes:

I just hope I won't come out looking like a Raggedy Anne doll :look:
i'm mad i have to pony up the money for actual kinky twists cause i cant find the right color yarn to match my hair and i look retarded with black hair! even if i do them myself which i am afraid to do...the cost goes from 2 bucks to at least 20! i am too frugal for this crap!!! lol

please post pics btw!

yes, you can swim in yarn braids. i've worn them for years, of & on, and you can do practically anything in them you'd do with your regular hair.:grin::grin::grin:

just make sure to continue your hair regime -- no-poo, conditioning, moisturizing, etc -- just like your usual hair, so your hair won't dry out or experience breakage.

i just put in a set for the summer, so i'll be enjoying the beach & pool right along with you. :yep:

yes, you can swim in yarn braids. i've worn them for years, of & on, and you can do practically anything in them you'd do with your regular hair.:grin::grin::grin:

just make sure to continue your hair regime -- no-poo, conditioning, moisturizing, etc -- just like your usual hair, so your hair won't dry out or experience breakage.

i just put in a set for the summer, so i'll be enjoying the beach & pool right along with you. :yep:

co-signing. I swam every other day when I wore yarn twists.

I am going to give her a really good protien treatment, moisturize her up and try some this week.

I may just do the back and flat twist the front.

Thank you all for you input.

Cross your fingers, eyeballs, toes, arms, legs, whatever and wish us luck.

Back