Can You press relaxed hair????

ladydivine

Hi LHCF fam!!!!! I've been a lurker for quite a while. I'm interested in pressing my hair but I don't want to go natural. I just want to start getting my hair press from now on. Have any of you ladies done this or have any advice for me? It would be greatly appreciated!!!

Its better to "press" your hair with a ceramic flat iron. I've heard that using a pressing comb on relaxed hair causes breakage.

Thank you for such a quick response but can you get your your hair as straight with a flat iron oppose to the hot comb? I know I should be considering the health of my hair. I'm just looking for a medium!:lol: That's my problem thinking about style instead of the health of my hair.

ladydivine said:
Thank you for such a quick response but can you get your your hair as straight with a flat iron oppose to the hot comb? I know I should be considering the health of my hair. I'm just looking for a medium!:lol: That's my problem thinking about style instead of the health of my hair.

If you buy the right flat iron, you can get your hair as straight w/a flatiron as with a pressing comb. You should never press relaxed hair. Now if you were just going to smooth the new growth, that might be okay.

However, w/relaxed hair, it's better to use a good flat iron (a small one can get to the roots).

I personally like the Chi, but others like Sedu, Maxiglide, and there are other flatirons people prefer.

The good flat irons are often pricey, and I used to think it was a waste of money, until I used my friends Chi. I've been hooked ever since.

I was natural for 2 years, and still tried not using a hot comb, because I think it's really bad for hair, and nowadays (we're no longer in CJ Walker's time) you can get really good flat irons.

Also, as an alternative to a comb (with teeth), I tend to also use curling irons to get to my roots. They always seem to be able to get really close to my scalp. That's just a thought. Hope this helps!

I second the CHI, its works well on my relaxed AND natural hair. Relaxer smooth. Check out my album.

Hi,

I'm somewhere between texturized & relaxed, and I use the Maxiglide with great results.

I use the steam with the flat (no teeth) plate on a 4.5 setting. It leaves my hair SO smooth, and there's minimal damage b/c the steam is straightening, not so much the heat. It also helps me stretch my relaxer.

I know it's counter-intuitive to say that steam is good for relaxed hair, but I can't argue with the results.

I'm getting a digital camera next month & will post pics, I promise.

A

You can "press" relaxed hair, but I wouldn't try it at home. My mother only gets her relaxer T/U in the summer months. In the winter though, she presses her relaxed hair.

Thanks ladies for the wonderful advice!! I will take all of your advice into consideration.

@ nubianqt- Wow! I love your hair natural and straight. You can really see the movement of your hair in your photos. Do you think someone who relaxes can achieve the same movement with the infamous Chi?

JazzyFLPeach said:
You can "press" relaxed hair, but I wouldn't try it at home. My mother only gets her relaxer T/U in the summer months. In the winter though, she presses her relaxed hair.

How's the health of your mom's hair? How long has she been doing this?:confused:

Back