Can you ladies please help me??

LBoogie

I was wondering if anyone here can give me advice, I feel like I’m in the middle of a major hair crisis!

A little over a month ago, I had a weave sewn in…I permed my hair 2 weeks prior and a few days before used the African Pride “hi-lites.” I loved the end results.

Problem, the same day I had the weave sewn in, I began taking Biotin. My hair has grown about an inch and a half so I have major new growth, and the front of my hair is out. So my roots are black and the rest of my hair has hi-lites.
I’m attending a wedding next week and I plan on taking the weave out because it’s a bit loose and my roots need something done to them.

My question is...can I put the hi-lites back in and perm it the same day?? If not whats the shortest time span I can wait between doing them both (because they both HAVE to be done).

I also have another question, I read in a lot of posts about frequent hair washing contributing to growth. I’m an avid weave wearer…So washing everyday basically defeats the purpose (style-wise) what are other options/ alternatives to get my hair growing? My hair used to be extremely long but I got on an every summer cutting spree about 6 years ago, and it seems to take forever to grow now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]

My question is...can I put the hi-lites back in and perm it the same day??

[/ QUOTE ]

No. African Pride highlights, are permanent, I believe, so I definitely wouldn't recommend doing this one.

[ QUOTE ]
If not whats the shortest time span I can wait between doing them both (because they both HAVE to be done).

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically, hair pros say wait at least one week and one shampoo after having your perm done, but some say longer. Also with permanent highlights, you have to be careful, because you can overprocess your hair, especially if you highlight hair that has already been highlighted. This is tricky.

[ QUOTE ]
I also have another question, I read in a lot of posts about frequent hair washing contributing to growth. I’m an avid weave wearer…So washing everyday basically defeats the purpose (style-wise) what are other options/ alternatives to get my hair growing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you come out the weave, you can experiment with rinsing your hair some days per week, or conditioner washes, you don't need to do daily shampoos. You can replace your shampoo with conditioner for daily rinsing. I don't rinse my hair daily, but a few times a week, I like to spritz my hair and scalp with water. It just feels good, especially in this humid summer. Also scalp massages are very good for growth, as I have discovered. You can do that while you sport your weave.
smile.gif

Thanks Karonice, I thought the hi-lites were semi perminent. I have been trying to figure out if applying it to my new growth only is possible without further lightening previously the hi-lited hair.

so the bottom line is, not to even attempt to do it? So what CAN I do? I know when i take my weave out my hair is going to be a mess! It's at that "growin -in" stage and totally un-stylable.

Another thing...with rinsing and or washing that often, could that possibly damage my hair (make it dry, brittle, etc) and would I have to perm it more often?

[ QUOTE ]
Are these the ones you used?

ap_hilites_l.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I used the one on the bottom (left)

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing...with rinsing and or washing that often, could that possibly damage my hair (make it dry, brittle, etc) and would I have to perm it more often?

[/ QUOTE ]

No indeedy. It does quite the opposite. Water does not damage hair (unless there's something seriously wrong with the water as some ladies here have experienced), but as far as plain rinsing with water or rinsing with a conditioner, absolutely not. There are raves about V05 Conditioners, and I may stop and get some today.
trampoline.gif

I just wouldn't recommend you rinsing with a protein conditioner, or else it could harden up your hair. Also, washing everyday with certain types of shampoo can do more harm than good. It's all about the ingredients.

Here's what I found about the product:

Ingredients:

Highlighting Powder:
Potassium Persulfate, Sodium Metasilicate, Sodium Stearate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sucrose, Sodium Persulfate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Silicate, Silica, Hydrated Silica, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, EDTA, Ultramarines.

Developer:
Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Lauryl Pyprolidone, Steareth-10 Allyl Ether/Acrylate Copolymer, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Ceteareth-20, Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, Trideceth-12, Glycerin, Mineral Oil, EDTA, Methylparaben, Disodium Phosphate, Phosphoric Acid.

Conditioning Shampoo:
African Pride Herbal Complex [Water, Indian Hemp Extract, Nettle Extract, Rosemary Extract, Burdock Extract, Birch Extract, Dong Rose Hips Extract, Carrageenan (Irish Moss) Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Dandelion Extract, Horsetail Extract, Coneflower (Echinacea Perpurea) Extract, Sambucus Nigra Extract], Trideceth-7 Carboxylic Acid, Decyl Polyglycoside, Glycol Stearate, Polyquaternium-10, Sodium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Quaternium-15, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, FD&C Red #4, FD&C Yellow #5, D&C Red #33, FD&C Blue #1.

Leave-in Conditioner:
African Pride Herbal Complex [Water, Indian Hemp Extract, Nettle Extract, Rosemary Extract, Burdock Extract, Birch Extract, Dong Rose Hips Extract, Carrageenan (Irish Moss) Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Dandelion Extract, Horsetail Extract, Coneflower (Echinacea Perpurea) Extract, Sambucus Nigra Extract], Polyquaternium-7, Polyquaternium-10, Shea Butter, Propylene Glycol, Oleth-20, Polyquaternium-47, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea.

Conditioning Color:
Water, Propylene Glycol, Ethoxydiglycol, Potassium Cocyl Hydrolyzed Collagen, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone Copolyol, Wheat Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Hydrooxyethylcellulose, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Basic Red 2, Basic Orange 1, Basic Blue 9, Basic Yellow 28.

Yeah, you should wait awhile after perming before you apply the highlights. I see peroxide as one of the ingredients, so be careful.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No indeedy. It does quite the opposite. Water does not damage hair (unless there's something seriously wrong with the water as some ladies here have experienced), but as far as plain rinsing with water or rinsing with a conditioner, absolutely not. There are raves about V05 Conditioners, and I may stop and get some today.
trampoline.gif

I just wouldn't recommend you rinsing with a protein conditioner, or else it could harden up your hair. Also, washing everyday with certain types of shampoo can do more harm than good. It's all about the ingredients.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the topic about the VO5 Conditioners, Ive been in so many threads and all its doing is confusing me. LOL. I dont know what in the world to do to my hair now. I travel alot and I dont have a primary stylist (which is why I stick to wearing weaves). I'm tired of it now and I just want MY hair to grow and be healthy. Its just so much easier to get a weave and have stylist work with that as opposed to having numerous people in my head doing all kinds of things to it per month and damaging my own hair.

I hear yuh. Well, there is a ton of info on here, and since I see that you're new, if you come here more often, I betcha it won't be long before you come up with an idea or see something on here that you'd like to try.

I would not recommend rinsing the hair daily or too often with a weave. FOr one thing if you have very thick hair your hair will not dry very well under the weave and that will contribute to rottening.

The way the weave is done with addition hair conrowed in plus the attachments does not allow your hair to air dry well.

If you had braids then I would say yes rinse daily but not with the weave.

Rose.gif

If you want some temporary color try some of that honey blond spray in the can. I've used it before and got tons of compliments on it. And it comes out when you wash your hair. Just make sure that you moisturize your hair first cause the spray can make your hair a little dry.

Back