Can you henna previously lightened colored hair?

As long as it is BAQ Henna, the answer is yes. You will definitely need to follow a Henna treatment with a good DC due to previous processing and the drying effects of Henna.

As for color, if your hair has been previously lightened, the end result could vary. It may range from a Copper Red to a deeper Burgundy.

My personal favorite is Nupur Henna. You may also want to check out the Henna thread for more brand suggestions.

HTH!

I've done it before. Prior to the top half of my head was blonde. I used henna and it made it some sort of a strawberryish red blonde color.....came out nice. Very thick and healthy

c*c*chic* said:
I've done it before. Prior to the top half of my head was blonde. I used henna and it made it some sort of a strawberryish red blonde color.....came out nice. Very thick and healthy

Which henna you used?

This was the result.

l_bc9f6a6c88d2487dabe99ac582b9526c.jpg

Shikaki oil
Amala oil
Vatika oil
V05 moisture milk conditioner
Herbal pomegranate cranberry green tea for color
Reshma henna

Let it sit for 4 to 5 hours. HTH =)

Last edited:
You definitely can. But I would not recommend doing it the other way around.

As another poster said, be sure to follow up with a good DC.

You definitely can. But I would not recommend doing it the other way around.

As another poster said, be sure to follow up with a good DC.

westNDNbeauty.... is it not advised to color over henna? Im asking because love henna andI did it for the first time in years about a month or so go. I know when Im fully natural I will likely want to color my hair. So should I not keep doing henna in this case? PS Can you point me to your blog and youtube? TIA! :)

check out hennaforhair. They have alot of recipes & result photos for people who henna over bleached or colored hair.

c*c*chic* said:
This was the result.

Shikaki oil
Amala oil
Vatika oil
V05 moisture milk conditioner
Herbal pomegranate cranberry green tea for color
Reshma henna

Let it sit for 4 to 5 hours. HTH =)

All of it at once?

Once the tea was ready I poured it in the bowl and I mixed all that together in a bowl and let it sit. Applied it and let it sit. Once I rinsed I cowashed a few times then deep conditioned

Eta: try oils that you know ur hair likes. Hope it all works out :)

Last edited:
@westNDNbeauty.... is it not advised to color over henna? Im asking because love henna andI did it for the first time in years about a month or so go. I know when Im fully natural I will likely want to color my hair. So should I not keep doing henna in this case? PS Can you point me to your blog and youtube? TIA! :)

@Leslie_C many stylists do not recommend chemically coloring your hair after doing henna because the henna leaves a coating on your strands which will interact with the chemical dye and it will be hard to predict what color your hair will result in.

When coloring your hair, a good stylist will always ask what treatments you've had done previous to sitting in his/her chair.

If you are henna-ing and eventually want to chemically dye you hair, I would say wait 3 months after your last henna treatment for it to completely wear off.

I'll PM you my blog info :-)

Back