Can You Guys Help Me

Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer is a great moisturizer and heavy butters are great. I use shealoe butter right now and will be moving on to hemp seed butter when it's done. Of course I'm very mildy texlaxed so if you're relaxed you may want to use a light ceramide oil like grapeseed oil for your sealant.

Another great moisturizer that I use s Keracare Moisturizer with Jojoba Oil. Many folks use a lot of hand made moisturizers and butters. Hopefully they will chime in soon for you.

Paging @IDareT'sHair, @rileypak, @MileHighDiva , @divachyk, @AbsyBlvd, @Beany, @NaturallyATLPCH, @NaturallyBri87 .

Ladies can you please help @jennifer30 if you can. She needs your expert help in the above area.

Last edited:
MOISTURIZERS
Soultanicals Marula Melon Creme
Shescentit Marshmallow Herbal Hair Creme
Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
Purabody Naturals Sapote Hair Lotion (old formula if you can find it)

SEALANTS
APB Hair and Body Butter
MYHC Type 4 Hair Creme
Siamese Twists Essential Hair Creme II
Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade

ETA - @SuchaLady brought up a good point. I'm using these products on transitioning, multi-porosity, air dried hair that I don't manipulate daily. More info about your hair and its needs and your regimen would get you better crafted suggestions from the ladies.

Last edited:
I'm natural (very kinky), normal porosity.
In order of favorites:

Moisturizers:
Hydroquench Systems Greaseless Moisture
Beautiful Textures Moisturizing Butter

Sealants:
(Heavy)
My Honey Child Type 4 Hair Cream
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

(Light)
Grapeseed Oil
Amla Oil Mix from Butters n Bars
Jojoba Oil
----
When I do the LOC method (refreshing, not right after a wash), I spritz with water, add the amla oil mix, and layer the Type 4 Hair Cream on top of that. I do this once a week.

Every other day I spritz my ends with water and apply a moisturizer on top of it. Right now it's Beautiful Textures' Butter.

@jennifer30, i'm also new to an HHJ...i joined Oct and B/C, had been lurking and contemplating for months

What i found to be helpful was : i read A LOT! there are tons and tons of threads in this forum on virtually everything. I visit. Polls also and gathered which products popped up as " the best" often and for most people in all categories from poo to DC to stylers et.c

I tried those and saw which ones agreed with my hair. And let me tell you it's trial and error! For instance everybody loves Giovanni direct leave-in, my hair hated it!

My point is : Everybody is going to tell you a different "good sealant" based on their experience, it might not be good for you. Go through the threads, pick top 5 and trial and error those ones to get to your own fav/best. If sample sizes are available even better

Good luck :-)

My hair is natural, kinky, curly, and coarse.

Castor oil is my favorite sealant, aloe is my favorite leave in at the moment, but the thing I hope to never be without is a good holding gel (even better if it adds moisture, like kinky curly curling custard)

It really is a trial and error process to find what works the best for you and it is always subject to change.

Eta: glycerine aloe mix is my favorite remoisturizing spritz.

Last edited:
The results (good/bad/otherwise) also depend on what else you do to your hair, for example if you use grease or petroleum jelly to seal, then you'll need to use a proper cleansing shampoo to remove buildup so that your hair actually benefits from any moisture you give it.

You've asked such a "broad" question though OP. You're going to have to do lots of reading/research, and spend some time to learn the unique properties of your hair. It might do better with watery moisturizers or with creamy ones; with a light sealant or something heavy like shea butter. Part of the fun is in buying and trying, we all have to go through it. Good luck and maybe show back some love by posting pics of your new goodies in the "Show off your Stash" thread :D

No one can answer that properly unless you know your porosity and strand thickness.

I have normal porosity. My hair didn't do well with moisturizers until I got shea moisture hair milk (milks are not too heavy and not too light) took my YEARS to figure out I was normal. Thought I was low porosity but still had some high porosity characteristics. I now know to seal with sunflower oil or grape seed oil (anything light) and why whipped Shea butter with only one oil works but if there's more than one my hair feels greasy. I promise you, you will save so much time and money and set backs if you learn those two things first

Wow. So many suggestions. Thanks guys. Yeah I'm doing this on blow dried hair. It seems no matter what I put in my hair it turns out dry. How do u figure out your porosity? I'm relaxed btw. So yeah.

Wow. So many suggestions. Thanks guys. Yeah I'm doing this on blow dried hair. It seems no matter what I put in my hair it turns out dry. How do u figure out your porosity? I'm relaxed btw. So yeah.

IMO, you have to address the source of the dryness before attempting to find a moisturizer, e.g., does it always feel dry, is it only dry after blow drying, etc. As for a moisturizer and sealant, @YesToHair! proffered the best advice possible - test a few products one at a time while paying attention to each product's ingredient listing. Doing this will give you an idea of your hair's preferences. FWIW, I've always garnered great results when sealing with a castor oil mixture (since castor oil feels tacky when used neat, I would cut it with other oils that my hair preferred, like almond, sesame or grapeseed).

Back