Can you French braid your own hair?

All this time I thought I was french braiding my hair, come to find out I just had a big ole' cornrow going down my head :ohwell:.

Okay so with the photographic evidence my attempts to french braid or cornrow yield an unattractive hybrid (french row? lol).

funny thread!

Yes, I can french braid my own hair. My grandmother taught me when I was a little girl. I use to practice on my doll. Now I can't cornrow to save my life. It's like my brain can't switch up.

^^^ same here, i seem to be 'braid-lexic' :laugh: if I try to start a braid while looking in the mirror. my brain can't get it together :nono: so I close my eyes or look away and I instantly grasp 'how to braid'. don't know what that's all about :)

i am not trying to be funny or critical but I find it very interesting at how many people can't french braid or cornrow their own hair. It was one of the very first things I learned when I started combing my own hair.

for those who cant... my first suggestion is to practice on a baby doll to get the technique and positioning down, that's how I learned

I learned how to do it from a book, since it's not so common here...at least it wasn't. A French braid is just like a cornrow, you just pull hair from the sides of your head and put it overthe braid instead of under it.

It's especially fun when you're growing your hair out, because the hair looks a lot longer with a French braid or Cornrow. :yep:

When I French braid, I just make a regular braid of the hair from the forhead a few turns first, then I start incorporating hair from the sides little by little and put it over the braid.

When you have long hair, you have to be careful when you come to the base of your neck, when there is no more hair to pull from the sides, because the braid can easily twist/turn if you don't think about what you're doing...

I don't French braid very often, but I like to make a slanted French braid sometimes. I should do one and post it.

I actually like the cornrow better than the French braid, because it looks more futuristic sort of...

Aren't there instructions somewhere on Youtube?

You can do it Sleek!! :grin:

Last edited:
i can over and under.. it's no different from canerowing..
As long as you detangle your hair to begin with and stay cool and calm its fairly simple. It's when you forget with strands are next that it gets confusing so concentrate!!
These aren't the best shots but my past attempts...
This is under
P1040987-vi.jpg

This is over with hair left out at the front
P1020792-vi.jpg

Back