CAN YOU CHANGE THE BRAND OF RELAXER WITHOUT BREAKAGE

bermudabeauty

Hey ladies I am a user of Gentle Treatment, been using it for as many years as I can remember. I was considering using Hawaiian Silky Relaxer. If I change relaxers is this going to promote any breakage? Also users of Hawaiian Silky Relaxers what is your experience?

I know nothing about relaxers, I am just bumping and asking a relevant question for those who know about relaxers.
Are both of the relaxer no lye or lye, or is one lye and the other no lye.

I switched four weeks ago (from Motions to Affirm) and I haven't had any breakage. My hair seems stronger.

I have switched several times with little to no breakage. From lye to no lye, and now I'm back to lye. I've tried Revlon lye, Motions lye, Just For Me, ORS, Optimum no lye, Design Essentials lye, and for the past year I've been using Optimum lye. Now I wouldn't recommend doing all of that, but I can say from my personal experience that I only experienced breakage with the Just For Me relaxer, and that was because my friend ran it all the way through to the ends. :ohwell: The only really negative side effect I've had from switching so much is extremely underprocessed hair. The last time I saw my old stylist she used some other relaxer on my hair and it quickly reverted. Other than that, I'm now strictly Optimum lye. HTH!!!

I too am looking to switch relaxers soon, from cream of nature to affirm or ORS, Still deciding. However gonna give it a goos stretch between them for sure. Also relaxing my own hair now, and found that mild relaxers are awesome, they don't burn and give you time to apply and work the relaxer in without burning, don't think I will ever use Super or Regular again....Good Luck ;) Anna

I've changed relaxer many times with no breakage. I've used Hawaiin Silky, Bantu, Gentle Treatment, Dark and Lovely, Just for Me and ORS just to name a few. Right know I'm sticking with ORS.

You can do it. The most important thing is just to prepare your hair for the relaxer like you always do.

I switched from Mizani to Hawaiian silky no mix no lye and I love it.

Mizani wasn't terrible, but I wanted to try a no mix no lye relaxer so I picked the HS. It is much cheaper and I get great results. Since it is no lye, I have a couple more minutes of application time and my scalp doesn't get irritated. My hair comes out very soft and shiny.

I use Gentle Treatment as well. Why are you switching?

I have been using it since I was maybe 13 or so (I'm now 31). But now that my hair is getting longer, I feel that my hair texture is changing, especially in the middle of my head. I don't want to keep starting my relaxer in the same spot to that area just so the hair will relax the same texture as the other areas of my hair. I read somewhere that this may be an indicator to change brand of relaxers or type of relaxers. Since I self relax to be honest i am afraid to go to lye. So that is why I am considering another brand, thinking of giving Hawaiian Silky a try.

I have switched several times with little to no breakage. From lye to no lye, and now I'm back to lye. I've tried Revlon lye, Motions lye, Just For Me, ORS, Optimum no lye, Design Essentials lye, and for the past year I've been using Optimum lye. Now I wouldn't recommend doing all of that, but I can say from my personal experience that I only experienced breakage with the Just For Me relaxer, and that was because my friend ran it all the way through to the ends. :ohwell: The only really negative side effect I've had from switching so much is extremely underprocessed hair. The last time I saw my old stylist she used some other relaxer on my hair and it quickly reverted. Other than that, I'm now strictly Optimum lye. HTH!!!

What is the name of the Optimum lye relaxer? TIA!

Girl, maybe I have some strong hair, but when I was relaxed , I went through the following:

Affirm
Design Essentials
Soft n Lively
Precise

with no breakage issues.

Ok I did it last nite. I used the Gentle Treatment no mix no lye relaxer. I do like the stuff. My hair feels good. Hopefully I won't have any breakage.

I have done it before with no problems at all. I just make sure I use the type or formula of relaxer. (Lye)

I switch all the time between Dark & Lovely (for color treated) and Soft and Beautiful regular...I use to use Precise regular and Raveen regular too. Never had a problem.

You can switch, but you must deep condition, moisturize and do protein treatments. It will help your hair to stay strong.

Well I change relaxers and didn't have any problems. I went from NO-Lye to Lye-No shedding or breakage. I switched from Motions to Mizani and no shedding or breakage.
I still have your average shedding, but not from switching relaxers. You should be fine.

Hawaiian Silky (LYE) left my hair straighter than it's ever been before I used no-lye ones until I read how much MORE damaging they are but now I'm no longer doing that but I would recommend the lye no base one.

Back