Can weave made your hair thin over the yrs.

xxBlackRosexx

Can weave make your hair thin over the yrs.

Do you think it allows the hair to grow even though its not getting much air into the scalp area??

Last edited:
Hmmm Good Question...This would be interesting for me to know also

I know sewins are probally the ones that cover your scalp up the most, and alot of people where those and get good/normal growth, so im not sure if the scalp getting more or less air really matters?

With the thinning thing, I've wore braids like micros/individuals and cornrows for long periods of times without breaks inbetween a couple of years ago like in HS, and when i would finally take my hair out, it would be thin, but after treatments and leaving it out, it would seem to thicken back up.....
So i dont know with that for me if it was more of an illusion, or my hair somehow got "revived", or if i would have kept on longer during those times would my hair have stayed thin.....

I don't think your scalp needs "air" for your hair to grow. I've baggied my head daily for as long as a week (maybe more) and my hair didn't suffer any setback.

I cannot answer whether weaves make your hair thin because I have only ever had one weave in all my life and it was out in less than a week thanks to a horrible school ma'am that ordered it be removed. But I know there are people who get thinning from continuous wearing of extension braids when that hasn't been my experience. And on looking at Reniece's hair (The Weave Pro) it doesn't look thin at all. So I'd say weaves don't necessarily make your hair thin.

Not sure what makes the difference though....

How long is the max you can have a sewn in and then having to give your hair a break? For examble, for the CG technique some do 2 mos on, 2 mos off....

How long is the max you can have a sewn in and then having to give your hair a break? For examble, for the CG technique some do 2 mos on, 2 mos off....

I think it would/should be about the same as the CG tehnique becuse you can basically do the same thing, just with a sew-in, and i think 2 months is about the max you should leave a sew-in in?

yeah maybe it would break the hair if its braided too tight? over time it could do damage i reckon.

Yeah, i think the braiding too tight....But i also think as long as you take the same care of your hair while its in the braids/extensions, then your hair should be fine when you take it out.

Back when i didnt know about haircare and got braids, i wouldnt put anything but oilsheen on my hair, and it would be dry and looking thin and fragile when i took it out,

When i did, and sprayed moisturizer on my hair daily, my hair was in great conditon when i took my hair out....

I think it would/should be about the same as the CG tehnique becuse you can basically do the same thing, just with a sew-in, and i think 2 months is about the max you should leave a sew-in in?

How should one remove the hair properly?
Can I re-use the hair. I'm liking the curly kinky weave that was posted in the thread today.

As far as caring for the hair, we have to put DC too? how can one get it to the hair since it's hidden underneath the fake hair? I would hate to waste my DC on fake hair.

Yes.

I cant think of anyone who has worn weave consistently for YEARS that didnt have thinning hair (im sure some poster will come and correct me). Your hair needs a break but also it needs a break from weave. Braids are not necessarily bad but:

1. Braids that are too tight weaken the follicle and can cause thinning.

2. Putting that needle through tiny braids and the friction from the thread rubbing against strands can cause thinning.

3. See Naomi campbells hairline in the OFF TOPIC board.

Again weave isnt bad but over long periods of time it can be. :imo:

I used to rock weaves all the time. I would have my hair braided underneath and have my hair out in the front to give it a natural appearance. I would wear my weave no longer than 8wks because my hair grew out so much it would look bad if I left it in longer than that. I have never had any breakage from weaves just shedding. I would relax my hair the day I took the weave out(don't recommend it if you dont' have strong hair), and would put the weave back in about 10 to 14 daysafter my relaxer and I never had any breakage. I think maybe the breakage for most people is not caring for their hair while in braids or weave. I would wash and deep condition my hair in the weave once a week or every two weeks like I normally would do.

Yeah, i think the braiding too tight....But i also think as long as you take the same care of your hair while its in the braids/extensions, then your hair should be fine when you take it out.

Back when i didnt know about haircare and got braids, i wouldnt put anything but oilsheen on my hair, and it would be dry and looking thin and fragile when i took it out,

When i did, and sprayed moisturizer on my hair daily, my hair was in great conditon when i took my hair out....

What did you use for moisture?

Yes.

I cant think of anyone who has worn weave consistently for YEARS that didnt have thinning hair (im sure some poster will come and correct me). Your hair needs a break but also it needs a break from weave. Braids are not necessarily bad but:

1. Braids that are too tight weaken the follicle and can cause thinning.

2. Putting that needle through tiny braids and the friction from the thread rubbing against strands can cause thinning.

3. See Naomi campbells hairline in the OFF TOPIC board.

Again weave isnt bad but over long periods of time it can be. :imo:
I agree. My friend now has a bald spot in the middle of her head due to wearing weaves over a long period of time...and it still hasn't grew back and its been about a year since she stopped wearing them. Now she has to wear wigs to cover it up. :sad:

I've worn weaves ever since I was 12 yrs old, and now I'm 24 and my hair is not thin. Now granted, I started with bonded weave (no good), and graduated to sew-ins. My hair always retained length, but I would color and highlight my hair all the time. I'd also relax it every 4 weeks, and my hair always ended up breaking. I'm sure that's the reason I'm not MBL right now. Also, I didn't even know that I was suppose to moisturize my hair until I found the hair boards. It will be one year since I've started taking care of my hair while wearing weaves, and I'm almost to BSL with really thick hair...lawd it's so thick.:yep:

So, OP, to answer you question, I've worn weaves for years and have never had a problem with it thinning out my hair. If installed correctly (braids not too tight), and taken down correctly, you should have no problems with it thinning out your hair.

Back