Can We Talk About In Laws....? (the Good, The Bad, The Married, The Engaged, The Hopeful For A Ring)

I love my in-laws to death! All of them!

At first my Mil was not feeling our relationship and threatened to not come to the wedding (she thought he was too young and that I was manipulating him into marriage). But before it happened she called to apologize and make up. But she still had the attitude that she was not looking for another daughter to "go shopping with" and stuff. After the wedding she was pleasant but we didn't have a close relationship. I was close with other members of his family though.

When I had DD, that broke the ice in a major way. She started to treat me more like a daughter. Fast forward 2 more years and our relationship turned a corner. Years later she told me it was because I was so nice and did not react to her little comments or attitudes and so she constantly felt bad. She said my genuine love changed her heart towards me. She cried when she told me.

Now we are inseparable! My own mom complains about how much she babies me lol.

Even though I'm divorced now, I'm keeping his family.

All of my relationships with my in-laws are independant of my ex. I see and interact with them way more than he ever has so they see me as their daughter/granddaugher/niece/sister/cousin rather than an extension of him. Regardless of our divorce, my mil expects me to come over weekly and is constantly asking me to move in with them cause "don't you just want to save some money for a year or two sweetie?"

I lucked out yall!

ETA: They are not biased towards him. We'd been seperated before and they did not hold back checking him and clinging to me. It's been the same through this separation and now divorce.

We did this with my brother's ex that's why I was so bummed with my in laws.

My in laws are all self entitled brats yes from the papa to the mama to the siblings.

I tried with them early on (first two years of marriage) now I can't be bothered even a little bit.

I am very polite and do things for God aside from that it's cherios

Update! About a year later. The baby is now 8 months and my relationship with my in laws has drastically improved. I ignored them when they came to the hospital to see the baby and it opened up the door for me to be completely honest. I was and haven't had a problem since. It's not smooth sailing by any means, but the waters aren't so rough either. At least no one oversteps their boundaries anymore...

Back