Can Semi-Permanent Color be Damaging (???)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Can semi-permanent hair color cause damage to your hair? If so, How would you compare the damage to permanent color, heat, and relaxers???

I'm thinking about getting a bronze rinse to my hair just to give my hair some color, then let it wear off so it will go back to my natural hair color. At the same time, I'm trying to take care of my hair since I'm transitioning. Right now, I've decided to use heat maybe every month or two months now instead of every 2 weeks.

Should I get a semi-permanent color rinse or just leave color alone altogether? :confused:

Great question Poohbear!

I asked the same question yesterday. I actually did a semi-permanent (Jazzing) rinse in Spiced Cognac for the 1st time. I had done a black rinse a few months back and I hated the results (not Jazzing).

I LOVE the way this color came out on me! My hair is very dark but I have reddish tones due to the relaxing, and some natural highlights in the front. I also noticed my first 2 gray hairs a few weeks ago :( that came out nicely after the rinse. My hair is not at all dry, and even though I airdried afterwards, I had no breakage!!

It's so subltle, but you can really see it outdoors and in certain indoor lighting. I will definitely do this again, but I would like to know if there are any negative affects of consistent use overtime. It's such a nice change going into Spring!!

SG

It depends on the kind you use. If it has alcohol, ammonia, or peroxide (if it's semi it shouldn't have peroxide in it anyway but hey..) then it could cause damage, not that it will, but it could. I think using something like Colourshine, Adore, Kiss by Express (though it does have ethanol.. ive used it and it didnt damage my hair), or the Clairol Beautiful Collection would be just fine. But if your hair is dark, you might not necessarily be able to see the color.. because you cant rinse your hair lighter.. you have to use permanent for that..

I put rinses in my hair all the time. I use some brand that comes in a bronze bottle from sally's. I think it's by Miss Clairol (don't quote me on that). It's very mild and has no of those damaging ingredients. But be careful about the brand you used. I bought a semi-permanent color from walmart last year. I never used it and I one day took a peak at the ingredients and saw peroxide. Thank goodness I didn't use it.

candibaby said:
It depends on the kind you use. If it has alcohol, ammonia, or peroxide (if it's semi it shouldn't have peroxide in it anyway but hey..) then it could cause damage, not that it will, but it could. I think using something like Colourshine, Adore, Kiss by Express (though it does have ethanol.. ive used it and it didnt damage my hair), or the Clairol Beautiful Collection would be just fine. But if your hair is dark, you might not necessarily be able to see the color.. because you cant rinse your hair lighter.. you have to use permanent for that..

You don't think a Bronze rinse would be able to lighten my black hair??? :confused:

Poohbear said:
You don't think a Bronze rinse would be able to lighten my black hair??? :confused:

No, because rinses can't lighten hair. They can only darken. It might give your hair a 'hint' of bronze when you're out in the sun, but you won't come out with bronze colored hair from just a rinse. You'll have to lift your hair (color) in order to get it lighter.

candibaby said:

Thanks Candibaby!

The one I used (Jazzing) has no alcohol, peroxide, or ammonia should I should be OK.

I've been looking at it in different lighting and it seems to be a nice little hint of color, but I don't think it will last very long :(

SG

candibaby said:
No, because rinses can't lighten hair. They can only darken. It might give your hair a 'hint' of bronze when you're out in the sun, but you won't come out with bronze colored hair from just a rinse. You'll have to lift your hair (color) in order to get it lighter.

awww man! not even if i do a blonde rinse or something?
if not, i'll just leave the color alone altogether. ;)

Semi-perms only coat the outside of the hair. They don't go inside of the hair and change the color (the reason why you can't go lighter with one).

They are pretty safe, to be even safer, check the label for bad ingredients.

I think that it's very mild on the hair.

Back