Can Roux Porosity control conditioner be used on natural hair?

sparkle25

I am having some issues with dry hair. I have some pretty good products so im thinking something else is responsible for my dry hair. I dont have a perm obviously, i dont straighten my hair or do anything unnatural that could cause dryness. All i do is co wash my hair, use a nice leave in and braid it up. Non of my products have protein in them so that cant be it either. I dont seal my hair with oils, because my hair doesnt like oils and I dont need to seal. I deep condition twice a week and rarely use shampoo, yet i still have dry hair. Any suggestions anyone?

Yes, it can be used on natural hair. If you do a search there should be a few threads on it.

You said you cowash and you dc 2x a week but rarely shampoo...your dryness could be from build up needing to be removed (because it's not allowing moisture to get in). You may want to try shampooing or clarifying and then seeing if your hair responds.

Thanks msa. You are always so helpful! I can always count on you for answers:) Well the stuff that I use to cowash with sometimes is a clarifying conditioner. Its the vo5 clarifying conditioner. I use to shampoo once a week with qhemets cleansing tea, but i thought that could be the reason it was dry so I cut back to see. Still dry. None of the products i use have any unnatural ingrediants, so I dont see how i can have any true build up. I just use leave ins, no butters or oils so im totally perplexed.

Thanks msa. You are always so helpful! I can always count on you for answers:) Well the stuff that I use to cowash with sometimes is a clarifying conditioner. Its the vo5 clarifying conditioner. I use to shampoo once a week with qhemets cleansing tea, but i thought that could be the reason it was dry so I cut back to see. Still dry. None of the products i use have any unnatural ingrediants, so I dont see how i can have any true build up. I just use leave ins, no butters or oils so im totally perplexed.

It does sound like porosity could be your issue. Try it and see. It can't hurt. But I would also shampoo or at least add a little baking soda the next time you cowash, just to be sure.

It does sound like porosity could be your issue. Try it and see. It can't hurt. But I would also shampoo or at least add a little baking soda the next time you cowash, just to be sure.

So how is this porosity control conditioner suppose to be used? Just cowash with it or? I still dont really understand the whole porosity thing. My hair drys very quickly and when i did use perms the 3 times i have had one, my hair pretty much ate the perm. Like it seemed as if my hair was not permed at all, I tried the porosity test about a month or two ago, you know the one where you put a strand of hair in a glass of water, but my hair stayed afloat. So that just confused me even more. Could it be that maybe i do need some protein? I think i read that if your hair doesnt have enough protein it can be hard for it to hold moisture. Do you know anything about this? Sorry to seem so ignorant, but i guess i kinda am when it comes to this.

So how is this porosity control conditioner suppose to be used? Just cowash with it or? I still dont really understand the whole porosity thing. My hair drys very quickly and when i did use perms the 3 times i have had one, my hair pretty much ate the perm. Like it seemed as if my hair was not permed at all, I tried the porosity test about a month or two ago, you know the one where you put a strand of hair in a glass of water, but my hair stayed afloat. So that just confused me even more. Could it be that maybe i do need some protein? I think i read that if your hair doesnt have enough protein it can be hard for it to hold moisture. Do you know anything about this? Sorry to seem so ignorant, but i guess i kinda am when it comes to this.

You're right, it may be a protein issue. You could start with a mild protein and see if that helps. AO GPB is one, and a lot of people like it (including me). You could also try eggs (or real mayo since it's made from eggs) as a protein treatment as well, though it would be stronger than the GPB (but much cheaper). If you follow the eggs with a good moisturizing DC you should be fine though.

As far as the Roux, I've never used it and don't pay much attention when it's discussed (I tune out things that I don't need to know lol). I know I've read that it's supposed to be used as the last part of your wash regimen (so wash, condition or dc, then use roux). I'm also not super well versed on porosity issues. Here's a couple links that may help you out:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=341855

Ok thanks msa. I have some oyins honey hemp coditioner. Im gonna cowash my hair with vo5 strengthening conditioner( it has pomegranate and grapeseed extract?), then ill use the oyins to deep condition and see what happens. Should i use a protein leave in afterwards or a moisturizing? I have some beauty w/o cruelty leave in and that has protein. I also ordered some bee mine peppermint and tea tree oil conditioner, and I also ordered the bee mine avacado balancing cream conditioner. It should be here on monday. Should i try eggs then wash them out with the bee mine shampoo and follow with the conditioner or, then use my jessicurl wt as a dc when i the products arrive? Or should i skip the eggs and jessicurl wt and just use the bee mine shampoo, use the bee mine conditioner as a dc then follow with a protein free leave in? Sorry so many questions. I am new to the healthy hair thing. Only been doing it since may (i think).

Also, lately i have been noticing that my hair has been breaking easily when its wet. I read that that is a sign that you need protein. But i dont get how i could be over moisturized if my hair doesnt feel soft and moisturized when dry. Does it sound like i have been moisturizing too much? I only do cw, dc and use a li because my hair feels dry. If it didnt, i would only cw and dc once a week.

Hey there, Sparkle, do you use protein, at all? If no, you should definitely add it in the mix somewhere. Even if it's just a tad. I love the clarifying conditioners at Vo5 also, but try to mix it up and also using moisturizing and protein rich conditioners, too. For protein cons I like Vo5 split ender, mane n tail conditioner, and aphogee two minute reconstructor (I do not use this one for cowashing though. More on that later)

The thing that let's me know that my hair needs porosity help is tangling. My hair acts a fool if I'm not keeping moisture protein balance in check and forgetting about porosity. The first time this happened, I was cowashing daily and my hair was moist most of the time in a wet bun. It did fine for months until I'd switched up conditioners and was using suave vanilla floral daily (loved the scent); but after several days of this conditioner, my hair had severe matting in the center of my crown during my weekly detangle. I was confused! My hair had never done this before. So I searched the boards for solutions and found out about porosity. That changed everything!

The best thing ever was that I found out about the 17 minute miracle by Joico. I didn't buy it but I did impliment it's steps.

shampoo
porosity - I use porosity control; helps the cuticles to lay as they should and will create amazing slip of the likes you've never seen
reconstruct - I use aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. I feel this reinforces the cuticles laying flat
deep condition
enjoy your buttery hair! Wait, is that one of the steps? No matter, it's always what follows after the above steps :giggle:

I do these steps every week and moisture or tangles haven't been an issue since. Give it a shot!

I don't do it when I co wash unless I use suave condtioners. No need for a repeat of what happened last time, eh?

hope this helps, Sparkle. let me know if you need anything more of have other questions.

Some of the characteristics of her hair she mentioned are the same as mine. My hair stays afloat during a porosity test (even left it overnight and it was still on top of the water!:eek:), and when I used the V05 conditioner, my hair was a basket of straw. I contributed it to the protein, though. Seems anything I touch with protein dries my hair out.:nono: One of those things that shows no two heads are the same since it really does sound like you've got some overmoisturizing problems.

I tried porosity control a long time ago, and I didn't see any type of difference in my hair tbh, but I think Msa and Sheba gave good advice about it. It supposedly does wonders for the mushy breaking hair thing. I've asked in other forums about PC, and never get an answer. I've done searches, and whenever I find "natural" and PC in the same thread, it doesn't address my questions about it's usefulness towards naturals so I'm glad you made this thread.

Thanks Sheba1 and SweetSpirit86. I was afraid maybe i posted ttoo late at night and nobody else would respond! To answer your question sheba1 i was not using protein at all. I once used the mane &tail conditioner and it was a disaster. So was curl junkie leav in conditioner. Because of that I just quit using it. Coconut oil also made my hair hard and greasy, so I dont use that either. But early this morning, i did cw with the vo5 strengthening condish, then i used the oyin hh as a dc for one hour with heat. My hair felt different in a good way once i rinsed it out and when i put it in twists, i literally saw one broken hair! Thats it! Was it the silk protein in the oyins? Could it really have made such a difference in ONE dc? So sweetspirit (or anyone else who wants to respond), you think what i am describing is over moisturizing? But my hair doesnt feel soft or mushy. Its just dry when its not wet no matter what i put on it.

natural head here. i use Porosity control regularly. i use it exactly per the directions on the bottle.

i shampoo, blot, apply PC, leave on 30-60 seconds, rinse, condition, towel/t-shirt dry and style.

if i need protein, i use infusium.

i've noticed a big difference in my hair. it is softer and appears to be moisturized. easier to style in any style. it took about 3 tries w/ PC to see a difference and i will keep it in my regi.

Thanks Sheba1 and SweetSpirit86. I was afraid maybe i posted ttoo late at night and nobody else would respond! To answer your question sheba1 i was not using protein at all. I once used the mane &tail conditioner and it was a disaster. So was curl junkie leav in conditioner. Because of that I just quit using it. Coconut oil also made my hair hard and greasy, so I dont use that either. But early this morning, i did cw with the vo5 strengthening condish, then i used the oyin hh as a dc for one hour with heat. My hair felt different in a good way once i rinsed it out and when i put it in twists, i literally saw one broken hair! Thats it! Was it the silk protein in the oyins? Could it really have made such a difference in ONE dc? So sweetspirit (or anyone else who wants to respond), you think what i am describing is over moisturizing? But my hair doesnt feel soft or mushy. Its just dry when its not wet no matter what i put on it.

It sounds like more of a protein deficiency rather than moisture overload along with porosity issues. Evey regimen needs balance and protein actually helps your hair to retain moisture better. I think the DC with silk aminos put you on the right path, for sure. See if one those tiny bottles of porosity contol does the trick for you all the way.

m&T condish is a protein condish? how about the m&t texturizer moisutising condish?

I'm sorry, Scarcity, I'm not sure of the texturizer moisture condish. If you look at the ingredients you might be able to tell there. Or you could post the ingredients and we could figure it out together.

natural head here. i use Porosity control regularly. i use it exactly per the directions on the bottle.

i shampoo, blot, apply PC, leave on 30-60 seconds, rinse, condition, towel/t-shirt dry and style.

if i need protein, i use infusium.

i've noticed a big difference in my hair. it is softer and appears to be moisturized. easier to style in any style. it took about 3 tries w/ PC to see a difference and i will keep it in my regi.

Sounds lovely, 1star! Agreed, porosity control is one of the few products I follow the directions on the bottle. :yep:

m&T condish is a protein condish? how about the m&t texturizer moisutising condish?

Yes it is a protein conditioner. But i had horrible results with it. My hard was hard and breaking. I tried it more than once. The first time i just saw more breakage than normal. The second time it was breakage city. This was at the begining of my hair journey.

ok... interesting find...I went to do it the lazy way aka copying and pasting by finding it online, however the all the ingred online i saw were this

Water, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine Lactate, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax NF, Cetyl Alcohol, Coconut Oil, Glycerine, Vegetable Oil, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Sodium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Protein, Propylparaben, Lanolin, FD&C Yellow #5

which is different from the inged on my bottle

Water(aqua) , Distearyldimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol,Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine Lactate , Cetyl Alcohol, cocos nucifera(Coconut Oil), Glycerine,
cetearyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol, fragrance,glycine soja (soybean oil), polysorbate 60, steareth-20,methylparaben,sodium chloride, PEG-150 stearate, hydrolyzed collagen, propylparaben,lanolin, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, Yellow 5(CI 19140) butylphenyl methylproprional

Sheba thanks a lot. My hair doesnt react well to protein normally which is why I avoid it. Could it be that my hair only likes silk proteins? I also dont really know if i have porosity issues, but i do know that my hair drys really really fast, floats in water but eats up perms. That just leaves me confused. But i read that porosity issues can cause moisture issues, so I guess ill try the roux and see what it does for me. As far as protein, does anyone know if just the oyins honey hemp is enough to keep a balance? Im afraid to try any other proteins due to my past results. Any advice anyone? Also are there any other naturals that use porosity control products and how has that worked for you?

i do use PC but i mix it in with my moist condish and I think it halped my dryness issues...i am thinking about using it per directions next time tho to see if i like the results better

To the OP maybe when you used protein etc. in the past your hair didn't need it at the time..hence the bad outcome. I hope this isn't confusing and someone elese can expand on it and help[ you more.HHG!

To the OP maybe when you used protein etc. in the past your hair didn't need it at the time..hence the bad outcome. I hope this isn't confusing and someone elese can expand on it and help[ you more.HHG!

So how can i keep it balanced without suffering breakage first? Also does anyone know that if my hair drys to fast etc does that mean i have porosity problems which are also contributing to the dryness?

i do use PC but i mix it in with my moist condish and I think it halped my dryness issues...i am thinking about using it per directions next time tho to see if i like the results better

Sounds good, Scarcity. Nothing wrong with giving it a shot so you can compare.

That is so odd that the ingredients sometime differ online than on the bottle. That happened with me and my Joico Kpak. For either of those sets of ingredients I would treat them like light protein conditioners.

Excellent point, BlaqBella. I hadn't considered that, at all, but that is a definite possibility. Her hair could have been in relative balance (lacking in moisture, even, probably) at the time. Since starting her hair care journey, I'm certain Sparkle has upped the moisture, but never added any protein causing her to tilt more to moisture overload issues... very interesting.

So how can i keep it balanced without suffering breakage first?

Take it slow and pay attention to what your hair tells you. Your hair reacted positively to the silk proteins, so stick with that. I think the one product that you have is fine. Of course you could also order Silk Amino Acids or pick up other products with SAAs in them over time to maintain balance. For now I'd say use moisturizing products most of the time but add in some silk protein every 4th wash/cowash/etc. and see how your hair does. If you think you need more, add more; if you think it's too much, cut back. Your hair will be very vocal either way. After all, it's talking loud and clear right now. :lol: so it will continue to do so.

Also does anyone know that if my hair drys to fast etc does that mean i have porosity problems which are also contributing to the dryness?

This is one of the symptoms of porosity issues. The cuticles aren't holding the moisture in so it's lost quickly (evaporates) and the hair dries faster.

Thanks Sheba for the wonderful suggestion. You are right since i started my hair journey i cranked up the moisture big time. Never thought of trying different proteins on my hair, i just ignored them completely. I am definately going to order some silk amino acids & definately going to keep the Oyins hh in my rotation. I just took my twists down and my hair is still dry, so ill be going to get that PC tomorrow. Anyone know what exactly the PC control does to benefit your hair? And should i just keep it in my rotation if it does help?

Thanks Sheba for the wonderful suggestion. You are right since i started my hair journey i cranked up the moisture big time. Never thought of trying different proteins on my hair, i just ignored them completely. I am definately going to order some silk amino acids & definately going to keep the Oyins hh in my rotation. I just took my twists down and my hair is still dry, so ill be going to get that PC tomorrow. Anyone know what exactly the PC control does to benefit your hair? And should i just keep it in my rotation if it does help?

You're so welcome, Sparkle. Porosity Control has a low ph and coaxes the cuticles to lie flat, helping your hair to retain moisture and detangle with ease. As long as PC is made it will be a part of my reggie at least once per week.

Well, I use porosity control on a regular basis and what I do is shampoo first with a clarifying shampoo to remove any and all buildup, then use porosity control right after. The porosity control is supposed to balance the ph of your hair cuticle so moisture can be absorbed. It's always important to clarify first. Once the porosity is corrected, then any other products used (including conditioners) will work better and get to the source of your dry hair issues. I always used to have dry and frizzy hair until I started using porosity control EACH WASH! The more you use the porosity control, the more your hair will adapt to more readily accepting the products you use to moisturize and condition your hair.

I'm not natural, but I am about 5 months post relaxer and my roots maintains its moisture balance. HTH

Last edited:
Thanks Sheba1 and lovenharmony! So glad i have all of you wonderful ladies to help me:) Its amazing how many professionals are ignorant about black/curly hair. Even hair magazines dont hate as much useful information as I have learned on here. So I need to clarify before i use this porosity control conditioner? But I dont wash my hair that often. I am cutting back on the shampoo to see if it helps my dry issues. How often should i use this PC conditioner for it to work well? It wont work if I just cowash? Are there any other porosity control products that might work better for my routine?

Hi S25 from what i've learned here and first hand....i started using pc about 6-9 months ago i used it back2back like the other lady said for a couple months stopped and now throw it in every so often because my hair is staying better moisturized.But if i have it right you should use something to start with a clean slate (clarify) like she said to get to the problem. Do a search for sistaslick you'll find a lot of info from her.HTH HHG!

Ok i just bought a bottle of this today. I also got some Ion Reconstructor treatment for my first protein treatment. Gonna give it a shot. I didnt get she Apogee that everyone loves because it had mineral oil in it. Anyways can anyone give me any instructions on how to use to porosity control? It says to apply to damp hair for 30 seconds before color or perm but i dont have and am not going to use a perm. I plan on shampooing my hair, then applying this Ion reconstructor. Can i pre poo with olive oil, then use the reconstructor ? I mean will the olive oil negatively affect the reconstructor? I also plan to DC with a protein free DC, so where should i add in the Roux Porosity control? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

People use it different ways but I follow the 17 minute miracle process every time I shampoo:

pepoo with oil
shampoo
porosity control - follow the bottle instructions; 30 to 60 seconds is fine; detangling is a breeze here
reconstruct - ion reconstructor
deep condition with a conditioner of your choice
leave-in and style

Back