Can Moisture Overload Result in Loosened Curls?

BEAUTYU2U

I've noticed my curls seem to be loosening ... no, I don't use heat. My hair has also went thru a recent growth spurt and getting a little hang time. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. I do wet my hair when styling and I'm wondering if I'm getting moisture overload. I wouldn't call my hair mushy or say that the hair stretches and snaps .... so .... ?

Ideas, suggestions, comments are welcome. :yep:

I think it's possible. The more moisturized the hair, the more water is in the hair shaft, which makes it heavier and more elastic, which could cause a temporary loosening of the curl pattern.

When I had moisture overload 2.5 years ago, my curls were less defined and very mushy. I did a hard ApHogee protein treatment which allowed most of them to snap back, but my hair still wasn't the same so I ended up cutting it off again.

I wouldn't advise purposely causing moisture-overload in your hair, IMO.

Then again, it could just be the weight of the hair that makes your curls appear looser.

Last edited:
I have definitely been on the look out for someone to bring up the subject of moisture overload. It doesn't seem like it's mentioned very often and the co-washing thing is very popular right now. A few months back, I began notice straight strands throughout my hair after 2 months of daily water rinsing in the shower.

After that, I went back to once a week washing and instant conditioning. And also went back to DCing once a month instead of once a week. The strands still remain straight, but I haven't had any more pop up.

When my hair was overmoisturized, I didn't have defined curl and didn't appear to be loose. It just felt mushy and looked frizzy. The only thing that fixed it was shampooing with a neutralizing shampoo.

*Update* I've stopped moisturizing my hair since I started this post and I have been spending a lot of time in the sun (for my work). I noticed that the "drier" it gets the more my curls seem to be bouncing back. I'm still going to do a protein treatment and definitely cut back on all the moisture. Thank you ladies, again! :love2:

This happens to me occasionally. I do not use heat maybe 1 or 2 times a year. But none the less when my curls start to get loose for no reason I use a mild protein my choice is lekair and that seems to springs my curls back into shape.

I think it can cause your hair to be too elastic and that can take on the appearance of a loose curl pattern, especially when wet. BUT be careful because that can also lead to your hair being damaged and stretched out like a rubber band and easily breaking

Back