Can I say I'm a Newbie???

steffiejoe

Hello LHCF Sisters
I finally got up the nerve to formally introduce myself. I guess it’s only fair since I have learned so much from you ladies. I feel like I know so much about you all and how you care for your hair. I know what products you like, how often you wash/condition, and who is a product junkie. I’ve been lurking this forum heavily since December 2008. I followed some of you on you tube, stalked your Fotki’s and read your blogs.
My story is similar to others on here. I’ve been relaxed since I was 16 years old. For years I suffered setbacks and / or breakage due to lack of hair care knowledge. Don’t get me wrong I have had a stylist share bits of information with me on how to care for my hair, but she never told me everything. I now see that was to keep me coming back.
Well right before a family reunion I went in for a relaxer touch up (I had stretched for about 10 weeks). She was upset about the amount of new growth I had and told me my hair was damaged. When I left her shop she had chopped my APL hair to almost neck length. The cut was horrible and I could not style my hair. She had cut it into a v shape. Can you imagine a neck length V (not a good look)? Something you should know about me is I am very style challenged. For years I wore my hair in a precision cut bob. Very simple style just wrap at night and comb down in the morning. The cut made styling very easy because the hair would just fall into place. Well after this last hair cut I could not do anything with my hair. I was crushed and embarrassed. People asked me why I cut my hair and I played it off as if it was only hair. Deep down I was so hurt.
I know APL may not be considered long hair too many on this forum, but to me at that time it was the longest I could remember my hair has ever been. Anyway that was the last relaxer I received (August 2007). I was clueless on what I was going to do with my hair. I would ask random naturals for product suggestions. I watched Ellin Lavar’s hair show – hair Trauma and saw how her sister used phony ponies to style her natural hair. Eventually I landed on you tube. I was instantly hooked. That’s when I discovered Empressi RI (SP??) channel. I’m sure you know that’s how I became a product junkie. Yea she’s a product pusha!! Hey Empressi! Throughout her vid’s she kept talking about the ladies at LHCF. I said to myself there must be something to this LHCF site. So I checked it out and here I am.
LHCF is where I have learned about real hair care. I now understand protein/moisture balance, moisturizing, sealing, protective styling, etc. I now understand what it means when I’m told I have fine hair. My hair journey has not been easy. You guys don’t know how much you have helped me along my way. Now I am 100% natural and plan to stay that way.
I am so thankful and glad to finally be a part of this wonderful sisterhood.

Congratulations and welcome on board. Wishing you a healthy hair journey and lots of growth Newbie!

Sometimes it does take time to introduce yourself. I'm a newbie too I joined this year Feb after being told about the site from a work colleague with WL hair. There is a lot of information to absorb and it takes a while to know what people are talking about. It's almost like another language, I'm still learning (thank the lord for youtube & google videos).
I haven't done a formal intro as yet. I only started making comments for the first time yesterday. So it's great that you have now made an intro.

Sometimes it does take time to introduce yourself. I'm a newbie too I joined this year Feb after being told about the site from a work colleague with WL hair. There is a lot of information to absorb and it takes a while to know what people are talking about. It's almost like another language, I'm still learning (thank the lord for youtube & google videos).
I haven't done a formal intro as yet. I only started making comments for the first time yesterday. So it's great that you have now made an intro.

I'm just glad the lurking is over. Everytime I read a post talking about a lurker, I felt a little guilty. :blush:

Welcome! I'm new, too. I feel like Im "cheating" since dont have pics yet but I started my journey in a weave (I havent relaxed in almost a year). I've learned so much and cant wait until I have pics(and a bona fide reggie) to contribute. I hope my start pic is longer than my hair has ever been!

I'm excited (for all the newbies)...HHG!

Welcome! I'm new, too. I feel like Im "cheating" since dont have pics yet but I started my journey in a weave (I havent relaxed in almost a year). I've learned so much and cant wait until I have pics(and a bona fide reggie) to contribute. I hope my start pic is longer than my hair has ever been!

I'm excited (for all the newbies)...HHG!

Im excited also. Thanks for the welcome. Cant wait to see your pictures.

I hope I thanked everyone for the warm welcome. Sorry about the small font, Im trying to get use to posting and I have poor typing skills. I've been spoiled by my dictation software provided by my job.

Last edited:
Back