Can I Do The BC Myself?

MzLady78

So, ya'll know I've been dealing with some issues with my hair (breakage, porosity) and I'm thinking about doing the bc (again) and starting from scratch. I really wanted to transition anyway and the 2 textures is making me nuts! During winter all I do is wear wigs/weaves/braids anyway so I'm thinking this would be a good time to do it and really start taking care of my hair. I didn't know about LHCF when I first bc'd and my hair did pretty well in terms of length and growth when I went back to a relaxer after 2 years.

What I want to know is is it fairly easy to do myself? When I did it the first time my hairdresser did it. Is it better to cut it into a twa or can cut the relaxed ends off without it having to be that short? I definitely have significant new growth, I haven't relaxed since April.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I've done about 3 BCs myself in the past, one when I was still at school so I think it should be ok. I only ever cut off the relaxed/permed/texturized ends. Yup I've done everything to my hair...It was always a lot longer than a TWA. I've never my hair that short.

Last edited:
I think it would be easy to do. Just cut where the 2 textures meet. I had my auntie do my BC and it took her about 10 min at the most to do. Good luck!!

I did my own in August. I just wet my hair so that I could really distinguish between the two textures & I began to chop away. Of course I had to go back a few times to snip some straight pieces that I missed but overall I was pleased.

I think it would be easy to do. Just cut where the 2 textures meet. I had my auntie do my BC and it took her about 10 min at the most to do. Good luck!!
I AGREE WITH NATURALLADY
JUST CUT WHERE THE TWO TEXTURES MEET....SO IF YOU HAVE A GOOD AMOUNT OF NEW GROWTH THEN YOU REALLY WOULDNT NEED TO CUT AS LOW AS A TWA. MY SISTER, DID MINE BECAUSE I KNEW I COULDNT DO IT BY MYSELF...AND IT DIDNT TAKE HER LONG.
BUT WHETHER YOU DECIDE TO DIY OR GO TO A HAIRDRESSER GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BC AND POST PICS

Yeah, I did mine myself. Just put some conditioner on your hair so it'll make the difference easier to see. Then I just cut all the straight pieces up to the line of demarcation. Just use a sharp pair of scissors.

I did! Both times! I just cut it completely off.

The first time is was kinda like in a fad :rotfl: but the second time I did it last May and I was pretty much bald.

It's December and it grew back to about 8 inches :grin:

Great, thanks for the tips!

I think I'm gonna try to do it tonight.

OT: bmore, I looooove that curly wig in your fotki, did you get it online or at a store? Also, do you know a good website for wigs. The only one I know is especially yours.

I did mine myself, too. I also wet my hair and then cut at the line of demarcation. You might end up with layers though if you rid yourself entirely of the relaxed ends.

Well I did it, ya'll!

i can't believe it, I'm kinda in shock to be honest, but excited at the same time. Here are the pics. (Sorry, I have no idea why they're so big!!)

Picture063.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Picture066_edited.jpg

Well I did it, ya'll!

i can't believe it, I'm kinda in shock to be honest, but excited at the same time. Here are the pics. (Sorry, I have no idea why they're so big!!)

Picture063.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Picture066_edited.jpg

JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!:urock::waytogo: Your hair looks so soft and luscious. Congrats on your new journey. You did a fantasic job. How did you manage the back?

OT: I love the wall colors in that room. God bless you all.

When I went natural, I did my own BC. Just picked up some scissors and cut right above the line of demarcation. Worked out fine.

ETA: I'm late, but it looks like you did a good job yourself!

When I BCed, I just coated my hair in conditioner and cut whatever didn't curl up. It was a pretty easy do-it-yourself job! :yep:

Okay, I responded after you chopped. Welcome to the club!

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the tips!

I think I'm gonna try to do it tonight.

OT: bmore, I looooove that curly wig in your fotki, did you get it online or at a store? Also, do you know a good website for wigs. The only one I know is especially yours.

Thanks. That's the one I bought when we were in New York. The brand is Modu. I've never seen it in the BSS down here. But I know I could find it online if I needed to. I believe hairsisters.com sells that brand.

As far as wigs go, I always buy my wigs in the store because I want to make sure it looks right. I have two particular stores that I go to here. And I only buy really half wigs. I have a few full heads from a while back but they always looked like a wig to me. Like it was a dead giveaway. So I would only wear them with hats. I haven't bought a full head in a few years. The one I bought when we were in New York was supposed to be a half wig but I just put it on like a whole one and it worked.

Last edited:
Well I did it, ya'll!

Picture063.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Picture066_edited.jpg
wow mzlady, ur hair looks great, so soft....u did a great job

You can definitely do it yourself. When I did mine, I wet sections of my hair and cut off all the straight ends.

ETA : I just realized you did your BC! Congrats!!!! :weird:

Back