Can hair be curl-trained?

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
We've all heard of heat-training but what if you always wear twistouts or braidouts? Does your hair start to fall into those styles almost automatically? I know that always parting your hair one way tends to make the hair fall that way by itself over time.

We've all heard of heat-training but what if you always wear twistouts or braidouts? Does your hair start to fall into those styles almost automatically? I know that always parting your hair one way tends to make the hair fall that way by itself over time.

Yes... my curl pattern is usually different for up to 2 wash days.
then it remembers around the 3rd time and shrinks like crazy :lol:

I don't think "curl training" is possible. When most people do a braid out or twist out they wet the hair with water or some kind of styling cream, wet hair becomes very malleable and it will take on any shape you give it as it dries.

Wearing braid-outs won't change your natural curl pattern. People who use heat on their hair often don't start growing straighter hair eventually. The length and ends of thier hair eventually become damaged and won't revert all the way to kink/curly again and the new growth grows in what ever their natural pattern is.

I dont think its possible to curl train your hair. I've heard of people saying that a braidout or twistout won't completely revert after washing but that's never happened to me. Heat training is a whole different ballpark. Your literally breaking down the bonds in the hair. Braidouts and twistouts dont do that. So they will eventually revert back once you wash it. If not the first time you wash a in couple of washes. It would be nice if it didnt but you just have to get use to braiding it up after washing the way we all do.

yeah I don't thinks so either but when I opened this thread I thought you were going to refer to rollersetting since that involves heat (indirectly) I don't know if that works to change curl pattern either. Natural hair is what you get until you damage it to get something else and sometimes you can't predict what you'll get.

no some people had talked about this on the haircrush thread

for your curl pattern to change you need to change the bonds in your hair your not going to get a permanent change on your curl pattern from a twist out

For a permanent change to the hair regarding curl pattern you need to use a chemical to break down the various bonds in hair which will allow you to then set the hair permanently the way you want it

I dont know about curl training as in changing your curl to another curl pattern, but I do know that since I wear WnGs most of the time my curls stay more defined just by themselves even without product. Also I part my hair down the center of my head for the most part and I know my hair usually automatically wants to be parted down the center now. But I dont know about the actual change of curl pattern to another.

no some people had talked about this on the haircrush thread

for your curl pattern to change you need to change the bonds in your hair your not going to get a permanent change on your curl pattern from a twist out

For a permanent change to the hair regarding curl pattern you need to use a chemical to break down the various bonds in hair which will allow you to then set the hair permanently the way you want it

oh yeah i remember that discussion and ppl talked about the weight of longer hair elongated the curl. Thats the only natural change I can come up with.

I dont know about curl training as in changing your curl to another curl pattern, but I do know that since I wear WnGs most of the time my curls stay more defined just by themselves even without product. Also I part my hair down the center of my head for the most part and I know my hair usually automatically wants to be parted down the center now. But I dont know about the actual change of curl pattern to another.

I believe thats a great example because well conditioned hair does tend to be less frizzy/more defined.

ETA: well for me at least.

KurlyNinja that's what I meant...I prob should've posted the question more clear.

I dont believe my curl pattern has changed. I just think that after I BC'd my hair was kind of in "shock". I dont know, but I personally believe my natural hair just wasnt use to being done in WnGs and taken care of fully as natural hair (ie. WnGs, braidouts, twistouts). For most of my transition my hair was either bunned or under a half wig. I think this happens to most people. When I see people BC it usually looks like a frizzy fro and then a few months later people will have beautiful curly WnGs. Just have to wait on your hair. Here is an example from me.

From when I BC'd:

DSCN1118-vi.jpg

A few days ago:

7d7d8b2b-e9b6-48d6-9546-341f97260907.jpg

I dont believe my curl pattern has changed. I just think that after I BC'd my hair was kind of in "shock". I dont know, but I personally believe my natural hair just wasnt use to being done in WnGs and taken care of fully as natural hair (ie. WnGs, braidouts, twistouts). For most of my transition my hair was either bunned or under a half wig. I think this happens to most people. When I see people BC it usually looks like a frizzy fro and then a few months later people will have beautiful curly WnGs. Just have to wait on your hair. Here is an example from me.

From when I BC'd:

DSCN1118-vi.jpg

A few days ago:

7d7d8b2b-e9b6-48d6-9546-341f97260907.jpg

Beautiful W&G with great curl def.

I tend to believe it can. I remember the Chime debate about this. If you pull your hair back in a bun 100% of the time, it can elongate the curl from the constant tension. I believe it's the same for braidouts and twistouts too.

Most other fibres will react the same way. If you muscle your way into your little sister's t-shirt it will get stretched out and at some point it's not going to shrink back to size after a wash.

I do think the difference is minute but it can make a world of difference in the long run when it comes to SSK, etc... I think Chime, Kimmytube, and a few others are examples of this.

You can't permanently retrain hair with rollersets and braidouts (only make it healthy through the right deep conditioners and handling).

Buuuuuut....... bouncing off that concept, I have learned hair will fall into its healthiest state and optimum curl pattern when it has reached the appropriate moisture level (via water, oil and sealing) through the WNG (wash and go) method. So in that way it can be "curl trained," or rather "moisture trained," but with its own curl.

Back