Can difference in religion be a deal breaker in the earlier stages?

Interesting thread. Normally I would have yes but I'm in a situation that is proving otherwise. I'm Christian. BF isn't. We have talked about our differences and he is more than open to going to church with me and learning more about God. His own identity is also very important to him. I will say that he is one of the first non-Christians I've dated and now he is my first serious bf. I'm waiting for marriage and he is the first man (after dating for years) who is in 100% support of my decision. The rest were "Christian" and some even went to church. They gave me such a hard time for waiting or stopped dating me bc we werent going to have sex. Idk what will happen with BF and I and not sure how our religious difference will play out. Either way, we are working on it.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF
He's willing to learning about God with you...that is a blessing and very rare. I pray all things work out in your relationship!

Personally at this stage in my life, I think you can make any relationship work if you both put your heart into it.I know I might get stomped on for such a comment, but at this age and stage in my life and after turning down men who weren't the same religion as I am and finding myself single..................hayle no! You do you and I do me. If we can respect each other then fine, if we cannot then he can step!

I broke up with my ex-fiance when he converted to Islam while we were engaged. It is one of the biggest regrets of my life so far. I did it because he wanted to raise our children Muslim and I felt that I could not do that since I am not Muslim. I felt as if it was just us we would be great, but since I wanted children, then it could not work.

Aside from that we were very compatible and were good for each other. Its been 8 years and I have not met anyone of that quality or caliber.

So at this point of my life , and knowing what I know, I seek compatibility over the same religious beliefs.

ETA:
I have dated people of the same religious beliefs who were less moral and did not have the knowledge of their religion. Why believed what they believed or really understood their religion and the religion of others in the same way as my ex did.

Last edited:
Homophobia is more of a deal breaker for me than religion is. Im not religious and I have dated a Muslim before. Ramadan was rough though... LOL

I find hardcore Christians to be harder to date since they try very hard to convert you and put extra pressure on you to be a "Woman of God". Whereas, in my experience with Muslims, they will share aspects of their religion when asked but they don't put so much pressure on you to see things their way. (The same goes for my Christian and Muslim friends.)

I'm currently dating a spiritual/non religious guy who is open to looking at the good aspects of all religions and it's working out GREAT! First guy I've dated who shares my beliefs!

Back