Can box braids look professional?

kristina

Hi ladies,
I'd love to get your opinion on whether very small and neat box braids would be appropriate for a corporate work environment. I'm going to be back in SF working at a law firm this summer and basically the summer is a twelve week interview for a permanent offer to return after finishing school and the bar. Thing is, I really am done with extensions after my matting disaster with my last braids yet I don't want to have to style my hair everyday. At the same time I do want to make an good impression since nothing's on the table yet (if I had the job I'd braid, twist and loc with no hesistation). If you were me, what would you do?

oh yes!!! and youre hair is long too, you could make some really pretty and professional looking updo's!

I think they can be professional, but I personally would not sport them until after I got the job, I think there is still some discrimination towards natural hairstyles in the workplace. JMHO

Shatani said:
oh yes!!! and youre hair is long too, you could make some really pretty and professional looking updo's!

Ditto! There are a lot of styles that you can do to make the braids look professional.

senimoni said:
I think they can be professional, but I personally would not sport them until after I got the job, I think there is still some discrimination towards natural hairstyles in the workplace. JMHO
thats a really good point. maybe you should scrap the braids and flat iron it!

Girl please! Wear those box braids, before and after the job interview. What if you had micro braids with extensions? Same difference and you would sport those during your interview. I think that we need to realize that we are advancing as people and that our hair does not have to be bone straight in a corporate environment. If you do sense some discrimation based on how you wear your hair, have you heard of LAWSUIT?! I am not jumping on you sweetie, I am just a little fired up at some of the comments about you holding off from braiding your hair and opting to straighten it. Now if you want to straighten it, fine,but don't feel that you won't be accepted if you don't.

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Girl please! Wear those box braids, before and after the job interview. What if you had micro braids with extensions? Same difference and you would sport those during your interview. I think that we need to realize that we are advancing as people and that our hair does not have to be bone straight in a corporate environment. If you do sense some discrimation based on how you wear your hair, have you heard of LAWSUIT?! I am not jumping on you sweetie, I am just a little fired up at some of the comments about you holding off from braiding your hair and opting to straighten it. Now if you want to straighten it, fine,but don't feel that you won't be accepted if you don't.
id just like to state that i was TOTALLY kidding about flat ironing! :lol:

Of course!!! You can do so many things with it that look simple n elegant...updos. buns, french rolls or just a plain low ponytail

senimoni said:
I was referring to all braids not just box braids, but nonetheless didn't mean to offend.

Girl, I know you didn't mean to offend and I am sorry that I came off that way. :kiss: It's just that we black women seem to never measure up in different arenas of life, ya know. Please forgive my 'rowdiness':lol:

Thanks for the input-like you guys have said, I don't think it'll be an issue. I'm pretty darn sure I'm going to go for it-I just wanted to get some feedback, considering that at least some of us have had natural hair issues in the corporate environment. I think I can pull it off since I did interview with synthetic braids. I was nervous just because I've never had braids w/o extensions so I don't know how they'll look on me. Actually, I'm almost more concerned that they'll make me look like I'm twelve more than the fear that it'll be 'too Afrocentric'. At any rate, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get rejected on the issue of hairstyle choice. That said, fair or unfair, I'm not going to rock an afro anytime during the workweek. I'd rather not do anything to undermine my chances of getting an offer of employment. If I were a full fledged employee already, it wouldn't even be an issue (but I won't lie, I don't ever plan on rocking a fro to work). And Bubln' you're preaching to the converted- I totally think it's sucks that I even have to spend a second thinking about this.

Last edited:
I think many braided styles are appropriate. As long as they are neat, I don't see a problem. I'll be working in coporate for an internship this summer as well and considered braids. I figure if a company has a problem with braids, then its probably not the 'best' company for you. Honestly, I don't think a lot of non-black women care @ your braids, or think @ it as deeply as we do. good luck this summer w/ your job. :)

senimoni said:

I agree with this statement. Sorry to say that there is still a different standard for "us". Good luck!!

Hey sista...
First let me say - congratulations on your wonderful opportunity:yep:!

Secondly... It sounds like you live in a city ( San Francisco?) that may be much more open to diversity when it comes to hair....

I have been natural for 10 years.. and I mostly succumbed to internal pressure to flat iron my hair before interviews, etc..... But - I learned that - mayn, I gotta do me. I am in an academic environment now - But while in corporate america - I had to rock braids and then twists ( when I was broke:giggle:)

For my next interview, whenever that is - I will wear a bun, but it wont be flat ironed!

If you - is braids - Then please do you. You can certainly do box braids and put them in a bun. In addition that - You can most likely get the edges redone every 2 weeks or so.

Good luck sister... And be CONFIDENT!!!! We as sisters have to break through for all women in corporate america.... that we don't HAVE to keep straight hair to make other people feel comfortable..

Blessings to you! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I believe they can look professional. The reason I use human hair extensions is they behave the way hair would behave, and I can wear them anyway I'd wear my hair if it were pressed or relaxed. For instance, the way my hair looked when I wore the box braids straight but curled at the ends, behaved the way relaxed hair looks when straight and curled at the ends. No one would say this lady didn't look professional:
images

And likewise, no one had a negative thing to say about me when I wore my braids in a style that kinda emulated that with :
StraightBraids-th.jpg

So if you can make your braids emulate a hairstyle that looks neat on combed relaxed hair--if that is the presumed accepted look--then I don't see why there should be a problem.

It is still relevant, because I am in a similar situation (hence the reason why this post was bumped)

I will go further ... do you think that braids with extensions are professional?

ABSOLUTLEY. I wore them for years in corporate america.

I believe they can look professional. The reason I use human hair extensions is they behave the way hair would behave, and I can wear them anyway I'd wear my hair if it were pressed or relaxed. For instance, the way my hair looked when I wore the box braids straight but curled at the ends, behaved the way relaxed hair looks when straight and curled at the ends. No one would say this lady didn't look professional:
images

And likewise, no one had a negative thing to say about me when I wore my braids in a style that kinda emulated that with :
StraightBraids-th.jpg

So if you can make your braids emulate a hairstyle that looks neat on combed relaxed hair--if that is the presumed accepted look--then I don't see why there should be a problem.

ITA... this is how I wore my hair.

Thanks, for this :) Did you use human hair or kanekalon? I am finding that since my hair is just touching bra strap, that the human hair is incredibly expensive (I mean ridiculous!!!)

G'wan :poke: splash out and spend two benjamins on two packs of 28-inch hair like I did. Don't leave me out here alone in the cold. Consider it your charitable duty: doing time with a fellow sistah. Ramen can be tasty when you're broke. :lachen:

Thanks, for this :) Did you use human hair or kanekalon? I am finding that since my hair is just touching bra strap, that the human hair is incredibly expensive (I mean ridiculous!!!)

Yes girl I know.... My hair is beyond BSL.... So trust me... I am witcha.........

So try Pro 10 hair ( the straight yaki) or Outre Batik. This hair is dead on for human..... and it is 36 inches. So you will be fine my dear. No one but YOU will know it is not human hair.

I will be putting in these braids next week.

G'wan :poke: splash out and spend two benjamins on two packs of 28-inch hair like I did. Don't leave me out here alone in the cold. Consider it your charitable duty: doing time with a fellow sistah. Ramen can be tasty when you're broke. :lachen:

Don't listen to Nonie... she is a bit... well.....:nuts::nuts: I am totally joking!!!!!!!:lachen:..Nonie is the Braid Queen!

So yes - another option is Beverly Johnson 26 inch hair... or His and Hers....Yaki Perm straight....75.00 a bundle.

Good luck!

G'wan :poke: splash out and spend two benjamins on two packs of 28-inch hair like I did. Don't leave me out here alone in the cold. Consider it your charitable duty: doing time with a fellow sistah. Ramen can be tasty when you're broke.:lachen:

:lachen: Stop! :lachen: I swear, when I saw the price of the hair I was like :shocked:. I mean I knew it was expensive, but dang...

Back