can anyone tell me how to achieve this style?

FAMUDva

Just once I want to learn how to do something to my hair like this... any ideas?

1rub6v.jpg

BTW, I don't have the length, but I mean the general style with the straighter roots and wave/curl at the end.

You can curl it with a large barrel curling iron and then separate the curls with your fingers. A rollerset would work too, it would just depends on how you rolled it and finger combed it.

Maybe doing a few bantu knots (overnight), take them down and do some light finger combing may create this look.

You can curl it with a large barrel curling iron and then separate the curls with your fingers. A rollerset would work too, it would just depends on how you rolled it and finger combed it.

Thanks BMF... I try to stay away from curling irons at home. I'm just wondering how I do it with roller set. I have gray, purple, red, and black mag. rollers. Which color would help get this look? Will I have to blow out my roots? How do you blow out your roots and keep the curl on the ends?

Sorry for so many questions... styling is my week point, but I need something to get me through the winter besides boring buns and the same old rollerset I usually wear.

Maybe doing a few bantu knots (overnight), take them down and do some light finger combing may create this look.

Sounds like it may work... How do you keep your ends from looking crazy with bantu knots? My ends are either straight or too curly. maybe I'm not doing it right, which is USUALLY the case. :look:

Sounds like it may work... How do you keep your ends from looking crazy with bantu knots? My ends are either straight or too curly. maybe I'm not doing it right, which is USUALLY the case. :look:
Hmmm. Maybe you can find a way to tuck the ends into the bantu knot in some other fashion so it doesn't curl so much (trail and error).

If you can get your roots to dry straight you can rollerset just the ends with hanging rollers. I usually do this with a small low heat flat iron or barrel curling iron. You might be able to get the effect with a pincurl set too...b/c that would keep your roots straight and the ends curled.

i believe i've seen macherieamour's hair, divine inspiration's hair, and several other ladies' hair like this before. you can probably achieve this style by rollersetting or using curling irons.

Try a smaller sized roller (the red or torquoise ones) to get your hair curly. Also, if you have enough pull while you are roller setting, your roots should dry straight.

This is a little complicated to describe and I don't have a camera to take pictures, but you can rollerset your hair on magnetic rollers to get a spiral style. Instead of starting with the ends of your hair straight across the roller, start with the ends in one of the corners of the roller. As you roll the hair, move the roller so that the hair is slowly taking up part of the rest of the roller. By the time you get the roller to your scalp, the entire roller should be covered with hair--not just the corner where you started.

I'm really sorry I don't own a camera because it really does give you that spiral type look.

Try a smaller sized roller (the red or torquoise ones) to get your hair curly. Also, if you have enough pull while you are roller setting, your roots should dry straight.

This is a little complicated to describe and I don't have a camera to take pictures, but you can rollerset your hair on magnetic rollers to get a spiral style. Instead of starting with the ends of your hair straight across the roller, start with the ends in one of the corners of the roller. As you roll the hair, move the roller so that the hair is slowly taking up part of the rest of the roller. By the time you get the roller to your scalp, the entire roller should be covered with hair--not just the corner where you started.

I'm really sorry I don't own a camera because it really does give you that spiral type look.

I can picture what you're saying :) Thanks!

check godsflowerr's fotki, she has an ablbum titled zulu/bantu knot set, she did loose bantu knot after a roller set and received a similar result, her hair was very pretty, i was able to mimic the same results with my own hair

here's her fotki, the link is in her signature so i hope she doesn't mind it in this thread

http://public.fotki.com/Godsflowerrr/

Bantus will be too tight. You can acquire this style many ways. Like BMFG said, a curling iron is how most of the celebs do it. You can also do pincurls. I would suggest you get various rollers, or a steam roller set. You can use larger rubber rods for the long pieces and smaller ones for the bangs. It basically depend on how you brush the hair. I suggest you roll the back of your hair going back and the front going forward.
Use a very light moisturizer, because you don't want your hair to be greasy. It will weigh down the curls.

Since you don't want to use curling irons (and rightly so) I would suggest the largest circumference flexirods you can find, just don't curl them all the way to the scalp just to where you want the curl to begin.:yep:

ETA: Just as Smartypants described

Last edited:
Bantus will be too tight. You can acquire this style many ways. Like BMFG said, a curling iron is how most of the celebs do it. You can also do pincurls. I would suggest you get various rollers, or a steam roller set. You can use larger rubber rods for the long pieces and smaller ones for the bangs. It basically depend on how you brush the hair. I suggest you roll the back of your hair going back and the front going forward.
Use a very light moisturizer, because you don't want your hair to be greasy. It will weigh down the curls.
Too tight is not the case with everyone's hair. It wouldn't be too tight on my hair. Also, it depends on the size of the bantu knots.

I knew I could count on y'all to give me some great ideas! I'll try each until I find the one that works for my hair. Of course I'll try to remember to post pics.

Thanks!

Too tight is not the case with everyone's hair. It wouldn't be too tight on my hair. Also, it depends on the size of the bantu knots.

You are right. I do them and when I want a shorter look, I do smaller bantu knots and when I want a looser/longer look, I do less maybe 4 or so.

Back