Can anyone suggest a good cold weather moisturizer

Miss_C

...that ISNT the juice? I've been using Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 for the last couple of months and I really really like it (on my 3rd bottle lol). But I've been reading about humectants and how they pull moisture out of your hair when the weather gets too cold/humid. I'm moving to a colder climate and I need your suggestions for Juice-less moisturizers! I tried HE LTR moisturizer last year and it was meh. Same for NTM:ohwell: and CON Rosemary Leave in:nono:.
Or, can someone tell me if it's okay to keep using HS14i1 and sealing with an oil like jojoba will be okay?
Thanks ladies!

is the glycerin in the top ingredients, i've used products in the winter that have it but its in the middle or bottom of the ingredient list...with no issues. buy a humidifier for your home too.

ETA:
this post is over a year old and i have used several moisturizers since my last post i quoted.
i like:
komaza shea lotion
komaza coconut curl lotion
oyin hair dew
darcys botanicals leave-in

oyin hair dew will have to be for spring/summer use only its not moisturizing enough, the db leave-in is thinner but was more moisturizing for this time of year for me cause the humidity has dipped. i also coat my hair with a mix of evoo, meadowfoam, evco, and kukui oil a few times a week and will coat that with a butter once i get in my black friday sale list together:grin::yep:.

Last edited:
The ONLY moisturizer that ever made my hair survive through the cold winter was QHEMET BIOLOGIC'S AMLA & HEAVY CREAM.

I usually like to use She Scent It's Seyani Hair Butter.....but now i have this jar FULL of Bee Mine Luscioius that i will be using throughout the cold seasons.....anything creamy or buttery..like shea butter is what i like to use when its cold...but thats down here in Florida...now up north i've heard that the butter hardens on your hair and leads to breakage.:perplexed

I like water based creams and butters for cold climates. My favorite is Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer.

I read an article I posted some where on the forum that said to add JOJOBa Oil to glycerin products for weather that is less than humid :ohwell: that is what I will be doing :D

@southerncitygirl I think it's number 2 on the list

@janet That's what I wanna know! My hair is thiiiiick, and a lot of popular water-based moisturizers don't work for me.

@everyone else Thanks for the suggestions, I will begin researching those products and hopefully one is right for me.

Slightly OT, those new natural Keracare moisturizers sound pretty bomb, I might try those.

I feel you O.P., Hawaiian Silky was good for me at first and then my hair started to dry out. I can't use products with glycerin high on the list.

My hair also rejects a lot of products no matter what I do, so I'm still searching for a good moisturizer as well. As much as I wanted to like Bee Mine moisturizers, my hair just didn't like them. :sad:

In the winter I can't use any products with glycerin anywhere on the list. :nono:

I found that using AO White Camellia conditioner as a moisturizer and sealing very well with an oil works wonders for my hair on dry winter days.

ETA: I looked up an old post from the transitioning thread when I first tried this: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=9861480&postcount=925.
It shows two comparison pics when I did and didn't use glycerin. I was soo happy with the outcome. :lol:

Last edited:
I think I'll be using:

Afroveda's Ms. Bree Hair Cream
BeeMine Lucious
My Honey Child Honey Hair Cream
Qhemet BRBC & Qhemet AOHC
Komaza Califia Moisturizing Cream
KBB Hair Butter
Njoi Coconut Hair Cream & Njoi Ayurdevic(sp) Hair Butter
Darcy Botanical Eucalyptus & Mint Hair Butter
Claudie Ends Insurance #1 Hair Cream

*These things are currently in my Stash, so I might as well:ohwell:*

Jamaican Black Castor Oil. I don't use it by itself as it is too thick. I mix it with Sapote Oil and use it as an sealant.

Subscribing... It's been on my mind. This porosity business is :nono:

I was thinking about picking up TW Mist Bodifier based of wstndnbeauty's rec...

Subscribing... It's been on my mind. This porosity business is :nono:

I was thinking about picking up TW Mist Bodifier based of wstndnbeauty's rec...

Yep, can cosign that.

I spray with Bodifier and seal with my JBCO/Sapote oil mix. Because it leaves my hair so soft, I can get away with doing that every two days.

Elasta QP Mango Butter is good for winter as well. I also lilke the idea of adding Jojoba Oil to glycerin based products for winter. I'll have to try that.:yep:

bump

My S-curl is getting hard and clumpy in this cold weather.

This is my first time wearing my hair out as a 4b natural in the winter

Nothing beats Qhemet, you hear me? NO-THING! Moisture and softness for days. Days‚ I tell you!

Try Oyin Handmade Hair Dew, I use S-Curl in the spring/summer, and Hair Dew in the fall/winter

the ingredients are: water, castor oil, olive oil, organic aloe vera gel, behentrimonium methosulfate (emolsifier), coconut oil, olive squalane (olea europa), optiphen (preservative), cetyl alcohol, and love!

co-sign on QB heavy creme. i have a teeny bit left and i'm holding out buying until their winter sale. i'm making due with water and sealing with castor oil or blue magic coconut conditioner (yeah hair grease :look:) and baggying my ends at night. my 4b tressess are soft and fluffy :love4:

Profectiv Mega Growth oil moisturizer.

I have this but I feel like it just sits on my hair. I'm not sure if I will buy again. I use it for baggying. I do think it helps with breakage. It's my moisture with some protein in it.

Back