can anyone recommend some hair products [currently transitioning]

Meki89

Can you ladies recommend a good shampoo & conditioner.
Also a good moisturizer because I have really really dry hair

thanx in advance :yep:

i would say for moisture, -BB oil moisturizer you can get it at walmart and its cheap. as far as shampoos are you going to use it often? if so you want to get a natural one with out SLS, one that is common to find is Burt Bees's Shampoos they smell nice and are around 7.00... conditioners, well there are the cheap ones like suave and V05, or theres Herbal Essences, Sunsilk (i use it for my curlies!) and many more. are you looking for online purchases? or local purchases? im not sure if this helped..

yes, thank you it did help.
as far as how often i'll be shampooing
i wash my hair every week, sometimes more than once a week when i have the time. can i get the bb oil moisturizer online because there's no walmart where i live.

I'm transitioning as well and although I don't use shampoo that often (I just used the last little bit of my creme of nature this past weekend:sad:), I love using Tressemme conditioners for co-washes and I have just discovered Giovanni Direct Leave-in (for wash and go's) or Lacio Lacio when pulling my hair back in a bun. I always top my style off with Dabur Vatika Coconut oil. (These products are used for my no-heat styles and any type of wash n' go's or braidouts)

I have really dry hair and I'm transitioning too and I use NTM poo, condish, and recovery mask and they work wonders for me!! HTH

JASON Conditioners are great and affordable. :yep:

I have over 50 reviews of shampoo and conditioner in my drugstore album and still more in my Sally's and Salon product review albums.

HTH! Happy Hair Growing!

I'm transitioning too and my hair craves moisture.

I started using the amla, shikaki, brij (spelling?) shampoo bar from my local indian store.

I also saw a Giovanni shampoo at Wholefoods. Said it was a moisturizing shampoo. Think I'll try this next. Has no Sulfates in it. My hair hates sulfates.

Just found the BEST moisturizer for my hair - Qhemet Biologics Amla Heavy Cream. OMG!! I heard ladies talk about it, but my hair loves it.

I've tried several leave in moisturizers, but this takes the cake. I'm now giving away all of my hair butters.

Kind of pricey and you can only get it online. Believe its $20 with shipping. I think it's well worth the price.

are ya'll finding that poos/cons with or without cones is working best for your hair during the transition?

I'm transitioning too and it seems that I'm doing better without cones. I'm having a VERY hard time finding products without cones though. I need a deep conditioner but I haven't had any luck and I need a moisturizer and I still haven't found a great one thats cone free. And of course, I can't find a heat protectant either. Since I removed cones from my life my hair has been more moisturized and it seems to love being without cones. Right now all I use is honey, coconut and avocado oil, V05 conditioners, glycerin and water mix and Elasta QP sulfate free poo. I need a deep conditioner but I'm looking without luck. Help. :wallbash:

I'm transitioning too and it seems that I'm doing better without cones. I'm having a VERY hard time finding products without cones though. I need a deep conditioner but I haven't had any luck and I need a moisturizer and I still haven't found a great one thats cone free. And of course, I can't find a heat protectant either. Since I removed cones from my life my hair has been more moisturized and it seems to love being without cones. Right now all I use is honey, coconut and avocado oil, V05 conditioners, glycerin and water mix and Elasta QP sulfate free poo. I need a deep conditioner but I'm looking without luck. Help. :wallbash:

me, too...if I find something I'll let you know...One place I do look, though, is the health section of my local grocery store and places like Whole Foods. They usually have sulfate, paraben and cone free products. I haven't bought anything yet as I am trying to use up my PJ stash right now :ohwell: and when my supply gets low and I have more NG, I will start looking at some of these more organic options...:yep:

what are cones

silicones.... things in the ingredient list like dimethicone, simethicone and so on.... if it ends in cone or xane pretty much. They aren't bad, but its just a preference thing. Me personally, I don't do them because I'm not using sulfate shampoos and alot of them need sulfates to remove them from your strands. its just up to you whether you want to use them or not. They are in heat protectants usually, and in most conditioners and leave-ins. They help with detangling, but you need to remove them because they build up and can keep moisture from your hair.

i've sworn by Elucence Shampoo and Conditioner and have not used anything else (save for Suave clarifying poo but only when needed).

you may also want to try WEN products and Jonathan Products (Jonathan is very pricey $20 a bottle but it too works. i also highly recommend them but i'm too cheap to keep buying them).

ETA: WEN and Jonathan are cone free and sulfate free just like DevaCurl products

you should also try unrefined coconut oil, its great for sealing moisture in. i usually get out the shower let my hair dry while im getting dressed and then apply the coconut oil.. it really works and its not greasy at all !! :grin:

you should also try unrefined coconut oil, its great for sealing moisture in. i usually get out the shower let my hair dry while im getting dressed and then apply the coconut oil.. it really works and its not greasy at all !! :grin:

I know you only asked about shampoos/conditioners and moisturisers, but I thought I would just tell you what has worked for me whilst I transition.

Shampoos: I have found that shampoos with no sulfates or sodium lauryl work best as for some reason my hair is left dry and I sometimes actually get dry scalp too if I use commercial shampoos with these harsh detergents :ohwell:.
So at the moment, I'm using Ayurvedic powders twice a week to wash and once a month, I use Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo.
It's great but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

Conditioners: Conditioners with cones seem to be fine with my hair however I love Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle because I gives me a good slip whilst detangling, but I don't get that mushy feeling I get with most conditioners.

Deep Conditioners: The use ORS Mayo, which I like because it gives my hair protein but also leaves it moisturised.

Moisturisers: I still don't think I've found my staple moisturiser yet, however care free curl instant moisturiser leaves my hair (and new growth especially) moisturised and soft without greasiness or weighing down my hair.
Every other moisturiser I've tried leaves my hair greasy as h$ll and heavy.

Sealants: The best ones I have come across are Elasta QP Mango Butter (smells :lick:), Vatika Oil and Almond Oil. I like Almond oil because it is non-greasy.

Oils: Oil rinses are helping me transition, as well as oil massages. I leave the oils in my hair overnight, the nights before wash days!
I use Shikakai, Brahmi Amla or Vatika Oil, or a mixture.

Baggying: Without doing this at night, I don't think my hair would be as moisturised as it is now and my hair needs all the moisture it can get :yep:.

Sorry this was so long, but as a transitioner, I know that at least for me whatever shampoo, conditioner or moisturiser I use, I still need to do other things to keep the moisture in my hair :wallbash:.

I'm only 21 weeks into my transition, but when I do wash, I still use my beloved Aveda DR poo. I just love the way it makes my hair feel. For conditioners it's Aubrey Organics all the way. I prefer GPB and White Camellia. I am still working on finding a good moisturizer, but I do love coconut oil and Wild Growth Oil.

Back