Can anyone have long hair or is it in the genes?

Ponytaildiva

I am really ready to give up on my hair. No matter what I do, it just does not grow. I lost the hair that I did have during surgery and it will not grow back. However, none of the women in my family have been able to grow long hair. I think I am convinced that having long healthy hair is hereditary. I look at some of you ladies and your hair is incredible, I know that some of you work hard at it, but really, is having long hair hereditary??????

I think it is to some extent but that does not have to be the only and final determination on whether it grows long or not. As my mother told me "You aint never had long hair and I ain't never had long hair so I don't know what makes you think you can grow yours long"....through sheer will and determination. Don't give up. Something will click for you and you will have one of those "aha" moments. For me, I realized if I focus on health that hair will come. :) Don't give up. You have to believe it for yourself.

Kimberly said:
I think it is to some extent but that does not have to be the only and final determination on whether it grows long or not. As my mother told me "You aint never had long hair and I ain't never had long hair so I don't know what makes you think you can grow yours long"....through sheer will and determination. Don't give up. Something will click for you and you will have one of those "aha" moments. For me, I realized if I focus on health that hair will come. :) Don't give up. You have to believe it for yourself.

This is a good post.

The bolded part is so important, IMO. :)

None of the women in my family have long healthy hair, and I know why and it sure is not because of our genes. One of my aunts has been struggling to grow her hair for as long as I can remember. One day she had finally had enough. She washed her hair, braided it, and slapped a wig on. Whenever I would see her, she had that UGLY wig on. A year later she finally took it off and her hair was full, healthy, and longer. Even the bald spot she had filled in! Everyone looked like :eek: After seeing her, I decided that I needed to step up my game, because there was no way that I was going to let her hair get longer than mine. She was my proof that our hair was not as long as it could be because of all the mess we do to it, not genetics.

I never thought that my hair would be long, but it is currently the longest that it has ever been. Yours can get there too. You just have to find out what works best for you. :)

I have wondered the same thing. Since I have been on LHCF and being apart of the challenges, I have seen a great difference in my hair strength and length. I do believe that diet, vitamins, low manipulation does contribute to the health and length of your hair.

Now if I can heal these edges, I would be even more pleased. ;)

Awwww, don't give up! I certainly believe that it doesn't depend solely on our genes!!! Good luck to you :)

Kimberly said:

You are so sweet, I love this post.

This is the longest I can remember my hair ever being and I have only been on this board for 6 months. It is only shoulder length but most of my life it has been ear length.

I am convinced that I will reach my goal even though no one in my family has long hair. I know that no one in my family has long hair because they don't have the proper knowledge...not because of genetics :D

I think that very few things are purely genetic. There's always an interaction between genes and your environment. I do think that genetics has a role because it determines your baseline growth cycle and hair texture which can have an impact on your ability to achieve certain hair lengths. However, your nutrition, medication, hair practices, etc. can really impact the length of hair that you achieve. There are plenty of ladies here who have achieved long hair who have avererage growth rates and various textures. The truth is, until we have maximized all of the factors that lead to hair growth and length maintenance, we shouldn't throw in the towel. As far as genetics, just because our relatives don't have long hair doesn't mean it's not in our genes.

I've never had waist length hair, but my hair has been longer that it is now. Who knows what my growth potential is, but I'm going to try to find out.

Keep your head up! Also, have you seen a dermatologist about your change in hair growth after surgery?

This is the longest my hair has ever BEEN! My mother never took care of my hair and I got a perm at a very early age and I was basically walking around with little ponys but hardly enough hair to have in a pony, but for me this is a huge step for me.

In my family I haven't seen any of my female cousins or aunts with really long hair except 1 on my Dad's side, but her hair was about APL at the time.

For the most part I don't believe that genes has anything to do with how long you can grow your hair. I think most people will be able to grow their hair at least bsl. I think the reason ppl tend to believe its genetics is that people in the same family tend to have similar hair practices. So if every woman in the same family has short hair it may be because they are all doing the same bad stuff to it.

I dont believe that it is hereditary. I think that it has to do with the way you take care of your hair.

Before joining the forum way back when I use to think the same way as you did. Now my hair has changed 100%. Because I started to really care about my hair and take care of it.

carmella25 said:
I dont believe that it is hereditary. I think that it has to do with the way you take care of your hair.

Before joining the forum way back when I use to think the same way as you did. Now my hair has changed 100%. Because I started to really care about my hair and take care of it.

Carmella, how long was your hair before joining LHCF and how long did that growth take? It is incredible now. It is hard to believe that you were ever challenged.

My mom has long mid back hair. My hair has never been long. I am a little past shoulder length and this is the longest my hair has been. I think through the knowledge I have gained here and proper diet and care, it can be long. It continues to grow and I continue to retain, so I know I will reach my goals. I wish I had my mom's hair genes. :lol: She has long hair without even trying. :lol:

Mom23 said:
My mom has long mid back hair. My hair has never been long. I am a little past shoulder length and this is the longest my hair has been. I think through the knowledge I have gained here and proper diet and care, it can be long. It continues to grow and I continue to retain, so I know I will reach my goals. I wish I had my mom's hair genes. :lol: She has long hair without even trying. :lol:

Okay Mom23, now tell me, what have you done differently with you hair then your mother? Or are you going along with the heredity factor?

Medical or health related stuff can make hair growth difficult, but I don't think it's genetics. Well, that's not true. I think thickness is genetic, but don't think length is genetic. My mother doesn't have long hair. Neither did my grandmother nor any of the women in my father's family. Mine will be long tho. I'm convinced yours can too. :yep: Really you shouldn't be looking for results unless you've been on the healthy hair kick for more than 6 months. How long have you been working on it?

sareca said:
Medical or health related stuff can make hair growth difficult, but I don't think it's genetics. Well, that's not true. I think thickness is genetic, but don't think length is genetic. My mother doesn't have long hair. Neither did my grandmother nor any of the women in my father's family. Mine will be long tho. I'm convinced yours can too. :yep: Really you shouldn't be looking for results unless you've been on the healthy hair kick for more than 6 months. How long have you been working on it?

I have been working on it probably more years then you are old and so has the rest of my family, including my mother, grandmother and sisters. Non of us have been able to grow our hair long or thick. Along with my mother, we went to the hair salon (beauty shop :) ) every other week and we were not allowed to mess with out hair. I have given up going to hair salons, I am actually kind of embarrassed to go with this little bit of hair, but I have used a million products on the market with no real results. However, I have seen some great ideals and products that I never even heard or thought about in the short time that I have joined LHCF and I am trying a few. But because even my daughter is hair challenged, I am convinced that it is in the genes.

Michellehall said:
I have been working on it probably more years then you are old and so has the rest of my family, including my mother, grandmother and sisters. Non of us have been able to grow our hair long or thick. Along with my mother, we went to the hair salon (beauty shop :) ) every other week and we were not allowed to mess with out hair. I have given up going to hair salons, I am actually kind of embarrassed to go with this little bit of hair, but I have used a million products on the market with no real results. However, I have seen some great ideals and products that I never even heard or thought about in the short time that I have joined LHCF and I am trying a few. But because even my daughter is hair challenged, I am convinced that it is in the genes.

Have you tried just washing deep conditioning often(weekly or every two weeks) moisturizing daily, not combing daily, and using little heat and manipulation? Consistently? If not maybe try a regimen along these lines first for four to six months and maybe you will make progress. :)

Last edited:
Michellehall said:

Oh sorry, Michelle. I meant working on it the LHCF way. I tried for years and years before LCHF too. It's not the same. :nono: Basically I meant how long have you been doing the stuff breezy mentioned. Thanks breezy. :)

ETA: Your daughter might be challenged because she learned it. *just thinking out loud*

Last edited:
Michellehall said:
Okay Mom23, now tell me, what have you done differently with you hair then your mother? Or are you going along with the heredity factor?

My mom has ALWAYS had long hair. I haven't. She was born with only a little, but once it started growing, it kept going. My hair is a little past shoulder length now, and that is from me taking much better care of it. I used to use heat everyday, and touch up every 4-6 weeks, but now I don't and it has helped. It could probably be longer by now, but I've been cutting off damage as I go. I got genes from my dad I guess.:lol:

I think "genetics" counts for those who can ignore their hair and it prospers anyway (my daughter and mom for example).

There are too many examples of transformations for it to be purely genetics. Your body is constantly replenishing itself: skin cells being replaced, nails growing, impurities being pushed out of the blood stream, on and on and on.

Just last night I was thinking about the complete WONDER that our body is. Your "genes" might not make it easier (in the same way that some have to really work hard to lose weight and gain muscle mass) but you get to decide whether or not you're defeated.

I think that many of us are raised with belief in limitations for our hair. Not just about length, but texture, health, thickness, beauty, etc. This is but one place where you can undo that thinking. And you know, thoughts turn into things.

Hang around here, put together a regimen, and not only will your hair grow but your business will too. Next think you know you'll be offering custom hair spritzes, creams, and oils alongside the UPA clip.

p1

People are always dismissing my hair to genes.
No one in my family has long hair and thats on both sides. My mother had nice thick hair but it never grew past her shoulders.

patient1 said:
I think "genetics" counts for those who can ignore their hair and it prospers anyway (my daughter and mom for example).

There are too many examples of transformations for it to be purely genetics. Your body is constantly replenishing itself: skin cells being replaced, nails growing, impurities being pushed out of the blood stream, on and on and on.

Just last night I was thinking about the complete WONDER that our body is. Your "genes" might not make it easier (in the same way that some have to really work hard to lose weight and gain muscle mass) but you get to decide whether or not you're defeated.

I think that many of us are raised with belief in limitations for our hair. Not just about length, but texture, health, thickness, beauty, etc. This is but one place where you can undo that thinking. And you know, thoughts turn into things.

Hang around here, put together a regimen, and not only will your hair grow but your business will too. Next think you know you'll be offering custom hair spritzes, creams, and oils alongside the UPA clip.

p1

Amen. :angel:

This may offend some, but it's JMO.

I don't think going to the salon faithfully will EVER make anyone's hair long. There is nobody who can baby your hair and care for it like you can. If you have been going to the salon and not seeing progress, I think there's definitely hope for growing your hair long. My hair didn't thrive until I stopped going.

It will take time, it will take patience, but most of all, it will take knowledge. You have to know your own hair and what it likes/dislikes. You have to know if you need moisture/protein, if you can take heat/no-heat, chemicals/no chemicals, etc.

Then and only then will you see progress.

lauren450 said:
This may offend some, but it's JMO.

I don't think going to the salon faithfully will EVER make anyone's hair long. There is nobody who can baby your hair and care for it like you can. If you have been going to the salon and not seeing progress, I think there's definitely hope for growing your hair long. My hair didn't thrive until I stopped going.

It will take time, it will take patience, but most of all, it will take knowledge. You have to know your own hair and what it likes/dislikes. You have to know if you need moisture/protein, if you can take heat/no-heat, chemicals/no chemicals, etc.

Then and only then will you see progress.

I agree to an extent. It is so darn difficult to find a stylist that actually cares and caters to your hair. I actually stopped cutting my hair short through the encouragement and care of a stylist. I also started transitioning this way as well. But, I always knew what my hair needed to maintain health while relaxed. I went to the salons armed with certain requests/instructions- no holding spray, use a bigger comb, detangle bottom to top, not to much product (setting lotion, etc). I generally had to tell this to the assistants who changed too frequently, then I became one of those "demanding" clients and the only person who touched my hair start to finish was the stylist. My stylists would also arm me with instructions between salon visits. I rarely visited the salon late into my transition and now because of logistics. Plus, I am learning the new instructions to give.

Additionally, I have a friend that gets her hair roller set faithfully every 2 weeks by a stylist, relaxes every 3-4 months, trims only when needed. Her hair went from shoulder to the small of her back with bleached highlights. She rarely washes her own hair. She is just 1 of my examples.

Unfortunately, these experiences are rare. How many stylists will tell you, you don't need to relax every 6 weeks? Mine did. Also, people forget to monitor the regular clientele. Is everyone's hair healthy no matter what the length? Does everyone have a Halle Berry cut?

Genetics defines rate of growth, inherent thickness and texture - we cannot change those things. However it is our own actions that determine how much growth we retain.

My Mom and some of her cousins went through life with "genetically" short hair, then all of a sudden at around the age of 50, they were reaching shoulder length and beyond. Better care, fewer touchups (in my Mom's case), and finding the right stylists turned things around for them.

I've also noticed IRL that people with type 4 hair tend to treat it roughly, so their hair doesn't prosper, further perpetuating the myth that this hair type doesn't grow. One of my Mom's cousins (type 4a) has always had tailbone length hair and basically she does what LHCF prones: low manipulation, no heat, relaxer once or twice a year. I think she doesn't brush her hair either, only combs it.

someone in another post somewhere on this board said it best:

it's not that we can't grow our hair, it's being able to retain that growth and it doesn't really matter what hair type/texture you have.

i believe that 100%.

hair grows, if you relax you'll see that growth happening but if it's breaking off faster than you can grow it - it'll seem like you're not getting anywhere and you get discouraged.

it's that simple.

i honestly believe the majority (80 -90%) of how long ur hair grows does have 2 do w/ genetics....long hair just isn't it the cards 4 us all

myself along w/ some others i know have tried EVERYTHING possible ..... it doesn't work

u can eat right/exercise/ take vitamins/no poo/no manipulation....whateva.....NO PROGRESS

so after years and years of disapointement just concentrate on making the hair u do have as healthy as possible.........it's not the end of the world

Back